• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Diva-influenced gear tally!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I do, I do!!

Me: :drool:
Hubby: :nono:

hehehe Although, I'm sure he has some very valid points. It's not that he doesn't want me to get a new bike next season, I just need to reign in the price point a bit...

You know, it's hard to convince someone about spending lots of $$ on your addiction when:

1. they are not addicted and
2. they are being so darn logical. :laugh:

sigh...
OK, so you either need to:
1) get him addicted too
or
2) get him really, really drunk
so he says
"Oh sure, babe" instead!!! :laugh::laugh:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so you either need to:
1) get him addicted too
or
2) get him really, really drunk
so he says
"Oh sure, babe" instead!!! :laugh::laugh:

haha :laugh: I think #1 is my best bet, since he's not a big drinker.

He does come on rides with me almost once a week and we've already figured out that he has more fun with a group of people, than just the two of us. That way, others can help me convince him how much fun we are having. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I do baby him a little, so he has decent experiences.... make sure he has flavored water, his chain is clean and lubed, and research the trail ahead of time, etc Trying to avoid those stories you hear sometimes, "My first time skiing, my spouse took me to the top of a double black diamond and told me to just do it!" :fear: heheh

He's been having trouble with his front derailer. We get it adjusted and it's out of wack again after one ride and starts rubbing. I think it might be bent a little. So, that's a point of frustration on almost every ride. There is always some point in the ride where he says, "My bike is a piece of crap!" So, maybe I should just have the derailer upgraded for him?

I've been holding off on this, because he is very hard on his front derailer and doesn't plan ahead for downshifting on steeps. He often tries to jam it from mid ring to small ring in the midst of a steep climb while keeping full pressure on the pedals and still has the rear derailer in 5. I've coached him on shifting technique for steeps (and so have other riders), but he still feels that the front derailer should be able to handle this. :blah: [PS. Thanks for listening to me rant!]

So, in addition to replacing his front derailer, you have any suggestions on how to get him addicted? Or, at least, help him enjoy it consistently?

Truth is, it would be worth the effort even if he doesn't raise my new-bike-budget. :love:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He's partially right.....his front derailleur should be able to handle shifting under load. Definitely upgrade his front der. to at least XT, or maybe XTR and have a competent bike mechanic mount and adjust it. Also have them replace the cable and housing. Usually when the front der. is balky while downshifting it's because water and/or dirt has gotten into the housing and gummed up the works. Problems while upshifting are a different story. I replace my housings and cables every single year so my bike almost always shifts flawlessly. Replacing cables and housings is a great project to learn to do yourself, too! It takes about 1 hour of your time and maybe $30 in parts plus a cable/housing cutter. Spend big bucks on your cable cutter - it will really pay off in the end with nice clean cable cuts, housings that aren't smashed when cut, and long-lasting durability.

Let me know if you'd like to do this, I can post some instructions and pics and post some links that will help. Also, check with your LBS (local bike shop) - they're usually plenty happy to teach you how to do the regular maintenance stuff ('specially since you're a girl :laugh:).

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, in addition to replacing his front derailer, you have any suggestions on how to get him addicted? Or, at least, help him enjoy it consistently?

Truth is, it would be worth the effort even if he doesn't raise my new-bike-budget. :love:
Make sure every part of his bike is operating flawlessly, always! I see so many people decide they hate riding because their bike is malfunctioning.

Better yet - upgrade his whole bike and buy your new beauty at the same time! It's a win-win situation!!!!!:becky::becky:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I do, I do!!

Me: :drool:
Hubby: :nono:

hehehe Although, I'm sure he has some very valid points. It's not that he doesn't want me to get a new bike next season, I just need to reign in the price point a bit...

You know, it's hard to convince someone about spending lots of $$ on your addiction when:

1. they are not addicted and
2. they are being so darn logical. :laugh:

sigh...
When did I ever say the word Logical?
:noidea:

Make sure every part of his bike is operating flawlessly, always! I see so many people decide they hate riding because their bike is malfunctioning.

Better yet - upgrade his whole bike and buy your new beauty at the same time! It's a win-win situation!!!!!:becky::becky:
What she said!^^^^^^

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish it was a Shimano deraileur, even an LX! Sadly, it's an '05 SRAM X-7. Read the reviews on mtbr.com and looks like it's a pretty common problem with this model.

I made an appointment for a full tune-up and they are going to take a good look at the front deraileur. Since it's been behaving this way since we bought it (at a different shop), it may have been installed wrong or be defunct. If it's defunct, they might be able to get a replacement from SRAM under warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga