• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Body position help

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
^Very interesting . . . my fitter put very small heel lifts (2mm) in my old boots last year to relieve navicular pressure I think and they helped that, and my skiing, I think. Same fitter did not put them in my new boots, but I've taken them out of my old ones. I think I may experiment with them in and out! Thanks for the tip.
PS How come you are typing instead of skiing? I thought you have a Saturday program you do!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
^Very interesting . . . my fitter put very small heel lifts (2mm) in my old boots last year to relieve navicular pressure I think and they helped that, and my skiing, I think. Same fitter did not put them in my new boots, but I've taken them out of my old ones. I think I may experiment with them in and out! Thanks for the tip.
PS How come you are typing instead of skiing? I thought you have a Saturday program you do!!
I am flying out of Boston to Beaver Creek tomorrow at 7am. So I’m at home today packing and need to drop Sookie at the petsitter’s house later on etc. I don’t know how I always get to the day before travel and feel like there are 8 million things to do still. :doh:

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
Following up on what @SarahXC asked. How flexible are your ankles? Stand facing a wall, then while keeping your heels on the floor bend your ankles until your knees touch the wall. How far away from the wall can you do this? Toes touching the wall, 1", 2", 3", more?

Where are you located?
Thanks for the replies everyone!

As a quick update: I can easily have my knees touch the wall,flat feet, standing 4” away.
I’m in the Lange RX110 LV, fitted by surefoot in Whistler. 24.5.

At the end of last season I actually had them cut the cuff, so that I’m standing more upright. Which does feel a little better.

I di have rather substantial calves, maybe those act like large spoilers? But I sure can’t be the only female with larger calves. Watching my husband stand in line, perfectly relaxed and comfortable (he’s a really good skier), while I’m absolutely struggling to stand, makes me think something is wrong; and I feel like if the stance is wrong, the turns just aren’t going to be great either.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the replies everyone!

As a quick update: I can easily have my knees touch the wall,flat feet, standing 4” away.
I’m in the Lange RX110 LV, fitted by surefoot in Whistler. 24.5.

At the end of last season I actually had them cut the cuff, so that I’m standing more upright. Which does feel a little better.

I di have rather substantial calves, maybe those act like large spoilers? But I sure can’t be the only female with larger calves. Watching my husband stand in line, perfectly relaxed and comfortable (he’s a really good skier), while I’m absolutely struggling to stand, makes me think something is wrong; and I feel like if the stance is wrong, the turns just aren’t going to be great either.
So a 24.5 shouldn't have a ramp angle issue, especially in a Lange. Do your calves get sore? Big calves can definitely push your knee forward. Not being able to stand comfortably isn't a good sign, I don't think.

Jilly

Staff member
Stats on this boot....4 degree ramp angle...not an issue. 12-16 degree forward lean. So that you might want to check and set it to 12 if it isn't.

@contesstant - this is a very narrow boot - 97, might that work for you?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stats on this boot....4 degree ramp angle...not an issue. 12-16 degree forward lean. So that you might want to check and set it to 12 if it isn't.

@contesstant - this is a very narrow boot - 97, might that work for you?
93 or narrower is the only boot that will work. Even the Rossi ZJ+ at 92mm is too much volume! I have volume reducers in, and have a pair of Atomic Redster STI 110s on the way (from Canada. :becky: ) They are apparently the narrowest of the narrow 110 flex boots.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the wall range of motion test I barely make 1” away on my right side and 2” on my left. 4” sounds like lots to me but would like to hear the standard ranges for the test if someone could share them!
Oh I went down this rabbit hole last night ....... this was the best at describing the test, the outcome, and what could be affecting mobility..... keep scrolling down its a long blog

Know Your Numbers: Ankle Pain, Foot Pain, and Ankle Dorsiflexion

Fwiw It seems to be a valid test scientifically recognized but there are some factors that may affect (long/short leg) and may be also measured by angle https://sportspodiatryinfo.wordpres...est-forget-ankle-range-think-ankle-stiffness/

I have extreme dorsilflexion. I do not have a ruler with me as I'm currently traveling but using my phone I'm at least 6.5 inches on my good ankle for reference.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @WaterGirl that’s a great reference. And (not surprisingly) describes many of the injuries I’ve encountered over the past 30 years.

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Angel Diva

Fwiw It seems to be a valid test scientifically recognized but there are some factors that may affect (long/short leg) and may be also measured by angle https://sportspodiatryinfo.wordpres...est-forget-ankle-range-think-ankle-stiffness/

I have extreme dorsilflexion. I do not have a ruler with me as I'm currently traveling but using my phone I'm at least 6.5 inches on my good ankle for reference.
Thanks for this added info on the test, normal ranges and implications.
When I first did the test, I did it in ignorance with both feet at once, knees and toes touching (old style narrow stance for skiing) and got 1.5 each foot.
I repeated according to the links above with one foot back, hip width apart and I get 2". Still pretty limited, but not as bad! Another reason to lose that narrow stance on skis!!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks for this added info on the test, normal ranges and implications.
When I first did the test, I did it in ignorance with both feet at once, knees and toes touching (old style narrow stance for skiing) and got 1.5 each foot.
I repeated according to the links above with one foot back, hip width apart and I get 2". Still pretty limited, but not as bad! Another reason to lose that narrow stance on skis!!!
I'm with you sister!

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi there, this post made me laugh as it brought up memories of a ski lesson I taught with 5-year olds many years ago. FYI, I'm a ski instructor at Winter Park (eight seasons). I often tell this story to my adult lessons. The little boy, Harry was having trouble with mastering his wedge turns, and I could see if was because was "in the back seat". We worked on stance and he said to me "So I shouldn't try to ski like I'm sitting on the potty?"

I'm with the others in that you do need to make sure you have a proper boot fit -- there should be no gaps on the sides, in the heel, at the cuff, or on top of your foot. They should be snug, but not pinching. You may need to adjust your buckles during the course of the day even with the right fitting boot.

But to get back to your original post, proper stance is using your ankles to flex, and put pressure on the front of your boot. The pressure on the front of your boot is what allows you to pressure the front of your ski, thus making controlled turns.

There should only be a slight knee bed, and your hips need to be forward, with a slight tilt of your spine so that you are "nose over the toes."

With the right stance, you should not be putting so much torque on your thighs or knees, which is dangerous because it can cause injury.

shadoj

Angel Diva

Aha! My just-over-3" for my short legs puts me at *well* over 40 degrees flexion (in-range), and I've never had a sprained ankle (just other infrequent, mild foot issues caused by upstream anatomy/tension). Phew!

Edit: I wonder what angle is considered hyper-mobile?

Last edited:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Smatty

I have to wonder when I read about softening (?) the boot by cutting a notch and wide calves if there is now very little forward support, but with the standard ramp angle you might be fighting to stay upright?

I wear langes 110 flex and have very narrow ankles but a a relatively speaking very short lower leg and tons of ankle mobility. Moderately to rather wide and low calves.To get a snug all over fit I add butterfly wraps around my ankles. I like an upright stance for casual skiing where I feel supported by the front of the boot when buckled. On the flip side I am able to fully unbuckle, this is dangerous so only do so at home off snow, and ski the boot comfortably and in balance. When skiing fast I have enough support to drive the front cuff and not feel like I am falling fore or aft.

I do have the wrap intuition liners that seem to add some bulk to the front of the boot while removing some from the back. Maybe this increases my uprightness?

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Oh I went down this rabbit hole last night ....... this was the best at describing the test, the outcome, and what could be affecting mobility..... keep scrolling down its a long blog

Thanks for this article! I can get 4”, but the strain increases fast trying for anything more. I’ve been pondering working with a PT.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna