• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Body position help

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all!
I’m in need of help with my position/stance. Do you know that feeling when you’re balanced in that right spot and your ski perfectly cuts the turns?
I can only get that when I “sit on a toilet “, my calves digging into the back of my boots, thighs burning. The only upside: my weight seems to be distributed nicely along the soles of m
When I stand in what I have been taught as athletic stance, centered, hands visible, I can’t get that. I also feel as if my weight is on the balls if my feet, toes grabbing my boots, heels have no weight at all.

somethings wrong here!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
"Sitting on a toilet" isn't the best. And burning thighs are definitely not what you want. Sometimes I've told women to "pee on their boots", which should put you in a more centred stance.

People talk a lot about boots and if they're not properly fitted, it could be that even when you're in your athletic stance, your balance is off due to the boot. If I were you, I'd start by getting my boots checked out by a qualified boot fitter.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
"Sitting on a toilet" isn't the best. And burning thighs are definitely not what you want. Sometimes I've told women to "pee on their boots", which should put you in a more centred stance.

People talk a lot about boots and if they're not properly fitted, it could be that even when you're in your athletic stance, your balance is off due to the boot. If I were you, I'd start by getting my boots checked out by a qualified boot fitter.
Is that the same as "bush push"? (Pee...)

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is that the same as "bush push"? (Pee...)
If I am following the thread and your question, pushing the bush is the opposite of pooping our turns. I only like that body position for nordic skiing double pole. As for the toilet position there is something to it when I watch Miki win slalom races but there are a lot of things going into her perfect turns that are harder to see.

sashak

Certified Ski Diva
I have recently found that fear has prevented me from standing more upright and trusting my skis. With my boots tightly fitting and a more upright stance I am more able to really lean and swayy legs back and forth. When I get nervous I still resort to a more squat position as you described. I suggest going onto easy trails and pushing yourself to stand more upright... After making sure those boots are tight enough. Hope this helps! Just my experience as a strongish intermediate.

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
It’s definitely more like #2 than #1 :smile:
I figured it might be a boot/fit issue. Which is unfortunate , since I have bought these from a fitter, and had additional work already done . Somehow that hasn’t fixed it

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
I have recently found that fear has prevented me from standing more upright and trusting my skis. With my boots tightly fitting and a more upright stance I am more able to really lean and swayy legs back and forth. When I get nervous I still resort to a more squat position as you described. I suggest going onto easy trails and pushing yourself to stand more upright... After making sure those boots are tight enough. Hope this helps! Just my experience as a strongish intermediate.
Fear is certainly a factor

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
If I am following the thread and your question, pushing the bush is the opposite of pooping our turns. I only like that body position for nordic skiing double pole. As for the toilet position there is something to it when I watch Miki win slalom races but there are a lot of things going into her perfect turns that are harder to see.
When teaching ice climbing, push the bush/poop is a very common way to describe the movement!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
When I stand in what I have been taught as athletic stance, centered, hands visible, I can’t get that. I also feel as if my weight is on the balls if my feet, toes grabbing my boots, heels have no weight at all.
When you say standing - do you mean you feel like this even standing still in your boots in an athletic stance? Is your heel lifting out of contact with your boot?

If so, certainly sounds like a boot issue. If your boots were purchased at/modified by the boot fitter, they should make it right even if that means starting over.

push the bush
I have certainly heard this for pelvis more forward. Peeing in your boots is a good one for the stance too! Between these, and tits to tips, which a funny female instructor taught my daughter when she was a tween (cracked her up) I will certainly be visualizing tomorrow, lol!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have felt that way (heels not touching) in a boot. Led to lots of calf and hamstring pain. I have very limited ankle range of motion especially on my right side and the boot had too much forward lean for my body geometry. The boot was asking for me basically to already more flexed in my ankle than my body could do so my heel was lifting to try to compensate and lessen the pressure. If that makes sense? I’m not sure what your Bootfitter’s analysis was but I would definitely talk to him/her about if the cuff angle is adjustable or if a heel wedge is worth trying or other considerations for stance and your personal range of motion.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So - definitely check the boot fit. But as someone who heard "bend knees" and though "squat back" --- think less "bend the knees" and more "bend the ankle" and stack everything over the feet.

Cues that help me: think of tucking your pelvis under (whatever vulgar cue makes sense for you - express your amorous aims toward the slope, point your *** where you want to go, etc) and pushing my chest forward (stand up straight.). I'm

A cue I give my daughter to get her out of wedges - do a little hop in place. You'll land in your balanced stance. The aim is to feel nimble and balanced.

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
All those thoughtful replies make me think: how tight should boots be? If they’re tight, aren’t your feet absolutely freezing?

shadoj

Angel Diva
How do your boots feel balance-wise when standing in them unbuckled? How broken-in are they?

For non-racers: Boots should be snug, but not so tight as to cause pressure points or reduce circulation. Just tight enough so there isn't any slop in the foot.

The lower ankle buckle is the most important one to tension, with the lower two foot buckles just applying "gentle hug" pressure. Too much = cold toes. Upper buckle/booster strap can be tensioned to your style preference and snow conditions. I often start with the top buckle fairly loose, then snug it up along with the booster strap after a few warmup runs. I need those to loosen up my ankles and let my heels & calves "settle in".

Curious to see how this mystery unfolds!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What boot and what size boot are you in? This could be a ramp angle issue which is exacerbated by smaller boots.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Following up on what @SarahXC asked. How flexible are your ankles? Stand facing a wall, then while keeping your heels on the floor bend your ankles until your knees touch the wall. How far away from the wall can you do this? Toes touching the wall, 1", 2", 3", more?

Where are you located?

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
How flexible are your ankles? Stand facing a wall, then while keeping your heels on the floor bend your ankles until your knees touch the wall. How far away from the wall can you do this? Toes touching the wall, 1", 2", 3", more?
This is very interesting. I think I have a stance issue that one of several barriers to advancing. Taos L3 instructor who made very few spontaneous comments to my classmates on equipment told me I need better boots. He was analyzing my tendency to "crouch" and I think saw too much lower leg mvmt that was not translating to skis. Thing is they are 100flex, 2012 NOS with only 90-100 days on them. @liquidfeet checked out my boots and identified that the cuff not tight enough. I got that adjusted and skied two days on them, but didn't feel much more "responsiveness", so I bit the bullet and got new boots, will try them next week.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to understand my own feet and ankles better, including dorsiflexion.
I definitely am improving as far as using the whole edge of the ski including tails more and also invoking LTE at beginning of turn, which I believe invoke dorsiflexion. My pilates instructor is all about the feet, so I asked her to assess my dorsiflexion and she said less than average but not abnormally limited. I never heard of this wall test, so I just did it.
1.5". Is this 1.5 low average as she observed? I am working on it, along with general IT band tightness in Pilates, Barre and yoga.
If dorsiflexion is suboptimal, what can one do about it as far as equipment?

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is very interesting. I think I have a stance issue that one of several barriers to advancing. Taos L3 instructor who made very few spontaneous comments to my classmates on equipment told me I need better boots. He was analyzing my tendency to "crouch" and I think saw too much lower leg mvmt that was not translating to skis. Thing is they are 100flex, 2012 NOS with only 90-100 days on them. @liquidfeet checked out my boots and identified that the cuff not tight enough. I got that adjusted and skied two days on them, but didn't feel much more "responsiveness", so I bit the bullet and got new boots, will try them next week.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to understand my own feet and ankles better, including dorsiflexion.
I definitely am improving as far as using the whole edge of the ski including tails more and also invoking LTE at beginning of turn, which I believe invoke dorsiflexion. My pilates instructor is all about the feet, so I asked her to assess my dorsiflexion and she said less than average but not abnormally limited. I never heard of this wall test, so I just did it.
1.5". Is this 1.5 low average as she observed? I am working on it, along with general IT band tightness in Pilates, Barre and yoga.
If dorsiflexion is suboptimal, what can one do about it as far as equipment?
I think those very limited in dorsiflexion are the ones who can potentially benefit from a heel lift. Though they can potentially cause other issues depending on your lower leg anatomy too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna