• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Body position help

Jilly

Staff member
What I would like @Smatty to do it try an experiment. Remove all of the stuff you added to the tongue. Then put your feet back in them. Do those 2 cuff buckles up as tight as you can...pinch the calf muscle even. Now try and flex. This is extreme but it will tell you if the boot is too soft. Also if you continue to ski with the buckles that loose, you're going to have really bad shin bang....Trust me, I know.

I know that flex is not the same across the manufacturers, but I'm in 110 salomon and it's hard to move more than 10 degrees.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I’ve attached 6(!) layers of 2mm neoprene to cover the gap in the last picture. Made a big difference!
Now on the the top of the cuff. In the video I’m first moving without any weight put into the boot, then putting some weight into it. Seems like way to much movement. Should I: (a): stuff the gaps with more neoprene or (b): get a stiffer boot. It’s a Lange 110.
Cuffs look way too loose - you don't need a stiffer boot, you need a boot that fits! My understanding is that a boot that is too large feeling too soft is a sign of poor fit - you feel like your boot is too soft/flexing too much, because you can leverage it from angles it isn't designed to be pushed from due to far too much movement. So it is "too soft" in that respect but the solution is not necessarily a stiffer boot it is getting the fit dialled in.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
While I was trying to find an online explanation of what @Jilly explained nicely with the holes on the cuff. I found this pretty cool chart!!!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Totally agree with getting a boot fitting. I've been skiing for years and have been through three pairs of boots. This year I finally bought new boots at a boot shop that does fittings. They assessed my feet, type of skiing and they picked the boot. (Not the pretty one I wanted!) What a difference- I couldn't get on top of my old boots because they were too big- I used to have to slide my heels back then flex the boot. I can't believe I skied for years like that. The boots, fitting, and insoles were expensive but so worth it! They put me in a low volume boot because my instep is pretty flat. What a difference!
Is your foot narrow?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I’ve attached 6(!) layers of 2mm neoprene to cover the gap in the last picture. Made a big difference!
Now on the the top of the cuff. In the video I’m first moving without any weight put into the boot, then putting some weight into it. Seems like way to much movement. Should I: (a): stuff the gaps with more neoprene or (b): get a stiffer boot. It’s a Lange 110.
I agree with everyone saying your cuffs aren't fitting your lower leg properly.

It looks like your shin is pressing on the top of the tongue hard, flexing the boot like crazy, and to get that effect you are moving more than is normally called for. Your shin is flexing the boot, but a big part of your lower leg's movement is just getting the shin forward enough to touch the tongue, so that's wasted movement. The fix is to tighten the cuff a lot more than you have it tightened in the video.

The thing that flexes in a boot is the back of the cuff - the spine - that goes up the back of the boot. The boot's stiffness is built into the spine's plastic. So your lower leg needs to be bound to the spine snugly so it doesn't move forward without pulling on that spine. Flexing the boot is not about pushing the tongue forward, it's about pulling the spine forward.

The advice to buy a Booster Strap has to do with this issue of binding the lower leg to the spine. A Booster Strap is elastic. It is screwed into the back of the cuff, up there onto the plastic at the top of the spine. It wraps around your liner, clinching it close to your leg. Do not wrap it around the plastic flaps of the cuff, wrap it around the liner inside the plastic of the cuff. Then close and buckle the boot flaps around it. The Booster Strap does its job better the closer it is to your leg. The elastic allows you to tighten it solidly around your leg so that there is no gap in the back of your cuff when your lower leg tilts forward to pull on the spine. The non-elastic power strap that comes with most boots doesn't do as good a job of binding the leg to the spine.

However, If the boot's "volume" doesn't match your anatomy, this won't be good enough. You may need a different boot.

Volume means how much room is there in the shell right in front of the bottom of your shin and along the top of your foot where the cuff meets the clog (the lower section of the boot that goes around your foot). If you have thin lower legs and a low instep (do you?), you need a low volume boot. If you do, is your boot labeled as a low volume boot? It will have LV on the box.

If your foot/ankle/lower leg area requires a low volume boot, and you have a high volume boot, then no matter how tightly you buckle the two cuff buckles you won't be able to get the whole cuff to snugly surround the bottom of your lower leg. Your upper shin will be doing the work of pulling on the spine all by itself, and it will be banging into the top of the cuff, absorbing all the pressure you apply to the front of the cuff as a by-product of pulling on the spine. The bottom of your shin will barely make contact with the front of the cuff, and it won't be able to help pull the spine forward. You will get shin-bang, a painful bruise up where your shin punches into the top of the cuff.

Additionally, if you have a low volume foot and use a high volume boot, your ankle area will be narrow but the clog down there will be wide. Your heel and ankle area will move left-right inside the boot. You will be losing important rotational control over the boot and the ski attached to it. You may also have too much room above your instep, which will reduce your ability to tilt the boot and thus tilt/tip the ski.

Boot volume much match foot volume for the boot to do its job. Stuffing shims in there produces a poor substitute for a boot that fits. Your video does not indicate if this is part of your issue. Your boot may match your foot's volume, in which case all you need to do is buckle it properly and maybe buy a Booster Strap and use it around the liner. I hope this is the case.

Best of luck getting this sorted. Boot fitting is complicated and something many of us have had issues with. Getting it right produces big breakthroughs in one's skiing, so it's worth the trouble of seeking out a good bootfitter who will work with you to get the best fit possible.

Last edited:

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, so much help again, thanks everyone!
I’m hoping i can answer all your questions and reply to your suggestions!
In the previous video, the buckles are absolutely cranked to the max. The top strap is on top of the shell.
My feet are very low volume, very low instep. Only thing is they’re wide in the toe knuckles (not sure of the proper term), but that’s an easy punch. The circumference immediately above ankles is slim, then the calves are rather large.
The boot is a LV, but in certain areas possibly not LV enough. It’s got that foam inject liner, with additional C foam around the ankles. Not even making contact with the lower part of the tongue.

Now: in this video I’m not on skis (obviously), so it’s a bit harder to flex the boot already. The strap is now underneath the shell, strap and buckles are as tight as i can possibly get them. The picture was taken after I took this very short video.
There’s definitely a LOT less room between cuff and leg, still a fair amount of movement, considering I’m not even on skis.

I’ll be back skiing either tomorrow or Tuesday. Hopefully I can try out a few more things.

Again, thank you all for your advice on this journey!
3E32D101-22A2-470C-AC86-9FA101587280.jpeg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try it while not bending at the hips so much. Also keep in mind they are going to flex much more easily at room temperature. I apologize if you already answered this, but are you pretty flexible? I am going down the fore/aft balance rabbit hole right now, and am hypermobile in my ankles and can dorsiflex a crazy amount. So, the net forward lean of my boot needs to match that. It's not easy to figure out and I think only the most highly trained boot fitters know how to assess and address this.

Jilly

Staff member
That looks better and as @contesstant mentions your boots are warm and not a skiing temperatures. Cold plastic doesn't flex as easily.

And yes to "don't drop the butt!" You don't ski like that (I hope). Just flex the ankles and bend the knees. Hint - keep your nose over your toes.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all!
I’m in need of help with my position/stance. Do you know that feeling when you’re balanced in that right spot and your ski perfectly cuts the turns?
I can only get that when I “sit on a toilet “, my calves digging into the back of my boots, thighs burning. The only upside: my weight seems to be distributed nicely along the soles of m
When I stand in what I have been taught as athletic stance, centered, hands visible, I can’t get that. I also feel as if my weight is on the balls if my feet, toes grabbing my boots, heels have no weight at all.

somethings wrong here!
It sounds like you need some canting done on your boots! They will probably have you ski with tape on your bindings and then adjust from there. As others have said, a good bootfitter can resolve that problem and it's worth addressing :-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna