• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Body position help

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Interesting. Had the conversation with my personal trainer today. He's a Brazilian Capoeira dancer and he's got probably 6-7 inches to my 2. He gave me some stretches to do to increase mobility. He said tight calves don't help the situation at all.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I di have rather substantial calves, maybe those act like large spoilers?
I thought of this thread when I was fitting a woman in rental boots today. It was her first time skiing and she had no idea how boots should fit. She innocently asked, "Should my heels be touching the bottom of my boot?" and added, "My calves are killing me." She has small feet (measured at 23) and very low and significant calves. Not having a large variety of rental boots to choose from, I ended up putting about 1/4" of folded up paper under the footbeds as a makeshift heel lift. It worked. She didn't have any more pain. Best was that she quickly learned to ski and had a blast.

A long story to say that yes, substantial calves can keep your heels from touching your footbeds, and that can cause trouble with your stance. I'm honestly surprised that you were fitted into a boot that fit that way. If this is your challenge, the boots could be cut down more and/or the top of the cuff could be expanded to fit your leg geometry. Adding heel lifts to raise your calves over the top of your boots might also be an option. You should go back to where you bought the boots until they fit properly.

Were your boots any better when you skied on Tuesday?

And wow, I didn't expect to start such a major conversation about ankle flex. I was asking because heels not touching the footbed can be caused by stiff ankles that can't flex enough to match the forward lean of a ski boot. (I measure about 4")

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
93 or narrower is the only boot that will work. Even the Rossi ZJ+ at 92mm is too much volume! I have volume reducers in, and have a pair of Atomic Redster STI 110s on the way (from Canada. :becky: ) They are apparently the narrowest of the narrow 110 flex boots.
Sidebar: @contesstant I would love to hear more about these boots once you have a chance to try them out. I'm a fellow Zebra, currently in Rossi ZJ. Look like the Redster has more forward lean which might be too much for my short tibias though.

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
"Sitting on a toilet" isn't the best. And burning thighs are definitely not what you want. Sometimes I've told women to "pee on their boots", which should put you in a more centred stance.

People talk a lot about boots and if they're not properly fitted, it could be that even when you're in your athletic stance, your balance is off due to the boot. If I were you, I'd start by getting my boots checked out by a qualified boot fitter.
Totally agree with getting a boot fitting. I've been skiing for years and have been through three pairs of boots. This year I finally bought new boots at a boot shop that does fittings. They assessed my feet, type of skiing and they picked the boot. (Not the pretty one I wanted!) What a difference- I couldn't get on top of my old boots because they were too big- I used to have to slide my heels back then flex the boot. I can't believe I skied for years like that. The boots, fitting, and insoles were expensive but so worth it! They put me in a low volume boot because my instep is pretty flat. What a difference!

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
So I went skiing again, in what were for me difficult conditions; off piste, choppy, wet and heavy snow.
It’s interesting to play with tucking the pelvis/flexing your abs. Definitely help my skiing.
Also definitely sliding around in my boots, after a mini jump turn I’m simply not perfectly above the ski; then my foot slides forward inside the boot (it’s super tight around the calves, but too much room on top of the instep if that makes sense; so I bang my toes), this sliding forward in boots then boots me in the back seat. Now I have to wiggle the foot back in the boot, get in front seat before I can make the next turn .

Attachments

• B58A004E-6213-4A86-B819-4E7F96E4842A.jpeg
    B58A004E-6213-4A86-B819-4E7F96E4842A.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 9

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Smatty you definitely need a tongue shim of some type - I have a thick neoprene shim that extends down over the space you circled (fwiw I'm in a plug and still need to take up room). The boot fitter should have this. I also wonder because of the space between the lower leg and the tongue -if you are loosing "energy transmission" - ie you are flexing but going no where b/c the only part of the tongue you are touching is the upper portion. The dead space sucks up your energy..... plus all the moving around.

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
Your comment about energy transmission makes so much sense to me now!
I’ve always felt like I need a stiffer boot, because I can easily flex mine a lot, but nothing ever happens

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Smatty that could be part of the "I'm in an athletic stance but nothing happens" -- b/c it physically can't if your not connecting with the tongue /front of boot.....

There are soooo many variables to the boot fit -- it does take time and effort to try to find someone to work with who understands plus knowing how to communicate what your feeling so they can help you out. Do you have other options for fitters? 2nd opinions?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sidebar: @contesstant I would love to hear more about these boots once you have a chance to try them out. I'm a fellow Zebra, currently in Rossi ZJ. Look like the Redster has more forward lean which might be too much for my short tibias though.
I can keep you posted. Boots aren’t here yet. :frown: Should be Saturday but then I’ll have to have work done on them.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant , Isn't it kind of strange, yet totally understandable, that you and I end up in the same boots? LOL. I have the Redsters too. Got those after the Rossi WC , when I decided the volume was still too high over the forefoot, despite them being a LV raceboot.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant , Isn't it kind of strange, yet totally understandable, that you and I end up in the same boots? LOL. I have the Redsters too. Got those after the Rossi WC , when I decided the volume was still too high over the forefoot, despite them being a LV raceboot.
Wait, you are?! In the sti 110? And they are lower volume? I am fit to be tied that the teeny Rossi ZJ are STILL too big! Two different aftermarket liners-still not enough! I actually much prefer the feel and function of the stock race liners but my feet swim in them. I have a thick shim and am wearing a stupid thick sock and am crossing fingers toes and eyes that the Redsters are smaller! I like how the ZJs ski, and they probably only have 80 days on them, so I’m really bummed out.

Smatty

Certified Ski Diva
So, I’ve attached 6(!) layers of 2mm neoprene to cover the gap in the last picture. Made a big difference!
Now on the the top of the cuff. In the video I’m first moving without any weight put into the boot, then putting some weight into it. Seems like way to much movement. Should I: (a): stuff the gaps with more neoprene or (b): get a stiffer boot. It’s a Lange 110.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
It looks to me like your boot cuffs are too loose. When you're flexed there's a huge gap in the back of the cuff. Try tightening the the cuff buckles and the power strap until there's no gap when you flex the boots. Post some more video or pics, focusing on the boots.

Your general position over your feet looks good.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
It looks so big around your calf, I wonder, are the little ratchety pieces able to be moved to make it tighter? do you know what I mean? I have to get my family out the door, but maybe someone can better explain or I can take and post pics later today.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try moving the power strap up higher, above the boot shell. Use a Booster Strap--one of the cheapest and best investments I've ever made. Tighten the cuff buckles. I have the exact same issue with a lot of boots/liners. Is that the stock liner?

Jilly

Staff member
I see the same thing as @Iwannaski . Tighten up those top buckles. If there is not room left on the buckles, then look inside the cuff and there should be 3 holes. You might need an allen key to move it to the next hole. Or it could be a simple twist and click.

There shouldn't be a gap in the back like I see.

Personally - I never heard anything good about Surefoot in WB.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So filling the gaps helped which just evidences that the boot doesn't fit you appropriately. It seems like you're not even buckled in correctly as others have mentioned. So you have the option to continue working with this boot by stuffing it with what ever works to fill the gaps or going to a 'boot fitter' to get re-assessed. Simply going to a higher flex may not solve your problems if the main issue is correct fit for your leg/ankle/foot. I would take heed to @Jilly 's comment regarding Surefoot. Im not saying this applies to all Surefoot's but the reputation is to put you in an oversized boot and fill it with foam. FWIW I have gone thru this process of filling up the gaps in a boot that wasn't exactly right for me as a stop gap measure last season until I could get into a better fitting boot. Hence my comment to stuff the front of the tongue to take up the empty space. Trust me, the energy transfer in the correct boot is effortless -- no huge movements needed to get a result.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna