• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Cheyenne-- regret?

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
So today I demoed the Atomic Storms in a 160 and I LOVED them. I didn't even go back to demo more because I was having so much fun on them in a variety of conditions. Hit some ice and felt totally comfortable, did a double diamond (Ungroomed) and went back and did it several times because it was fun. There were bumps forming and this ski handled them wonderfully (I don't usually ski bumps). Was great on the intermediates, a little annoying on the greens, seems like the ski lives to go fast. Anyway I did a TON of practicing on turns as some of you ladies pointed out and I think that my technique is just better on softer skis. For what it's worth though, I really did love this ski, I never would have returned it had I bought it, but definitely want to demo a few more. Also FYI, a double diamond on that mountain is probably a diamond on mountains I've skied elsewhere. Ski was wonderful on the ungroomed, and I have little to no experience there! Definitely got my confidence back.

Also, don't mean to go on forever, but as I looked back in my pics I realized that I was always skiing a 150! So the new length in the Cheyenne (163) along with the stiffness was probably a factor, I loved the 160 though and can't wait to try a few more next week :-)).

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is quite strange because I doubt that Storms are softer than Cheyenne. Not sure about current model but when they first appear on the market they were considered a fairly stiff ski. Cheyenne has the same materials/construction as BP so hardly stiffer. And BPs are soft. I would suspect length and less sidecut than you were used to were bigger factors than stiffness.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I agree that the Atomic Affinity Storm has never been a “soft” ski - quite the contrary: quite burly, at least to me, during demo. And although it was versatile and competent, I ultimately determined that it would tire me out more quickly than some of the others I tried that year. (Storm is unchanged since that demo.)

So what OP likes about it likely has to do with turn radius/sidecut - and the ever-popular “X, the Unknown Factor.” Sometimes, there is no accounting for why a particular ski suits us as well as it does. In which case, why bother with analysis - just go with what works and enjoy.

The revelations during a multi-ski demo can be beyond surprising.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that the Atomic Affinity Storm has never been a “soft” ski - quite the contrary: quite burly, at least to me, during demo. And although it was versatile and competent, I ultimately determined that it would tire me out more quickly than some of the others I tried that year. (Storm is unchanged since that demo.)

So what OP likes about it likely has to do with turn radius/sidecut - and the ever-popular “X, the Unknown Factor.” Sometimes, there is no accounting for why a particular ski suits us as well as it does. In which case, why bother with analysis - just go with what works and enjoy.

The revelations during a multi-ski demo can be beyond surprising.

Exactly! For whatever reason, that ski spoke to her. @jerseyski have you bought them yet? :bounce:

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
I did not buy them yet because I do want to demo more. Maybe it was the tune as some divas mentioned? I really don't know, but I do love the Storm. I want try a few more that the guy recommended when I next go back, but I'm in the house now with two little ones who have the flu :-( it's a nasty bug and I'm starting to cough as well.

He recommended trying the Atomic Pure, Volkl Kenja, and some other one, they has Rossi Temptations, big I stayed on the Storm all day. Hey, maybe in just learning to ski onthe type of ski I should be on?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just of the mind-set that if you loved them in all those different conditions, they need to be yours!
Ugh that flu bug this year. So far, we have escaped it OR had enough immunity from vaccinations in years' past that we fought it off. My daughter had a fever for about 12 hours then was miraculously fine, and I had a weekend of pure aches and pains and fatigue, no fever, then was totally fine. Hope you all recover quickly!

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
A couple of things I liked about them:

They turned wonderfully on the steeps, very quick and really dug in with the edge

I felt very in control at higher speeds

They handled multiple conditions, even icy sheets

However, they did tire my legs out so that's why I want to try a few different ones.

A funny aside: some guy on the lift asked me of I didn't think my skis were too long. :-)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Funny about the length comment @jerseyski ! I got that comment recently from a guy on the lift when I was skiing my new Blizzard Viva (167) -- I am 5'9"....really?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna