• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Cheyenne-- regret?

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know I guess I never thought about it, maybe I'm not explaining that great. I had a problem on the steeps because I felt I couldn't turn the ski quickly enough to slow down my speed and then would therefore be going too fast, leading to the out of control feeling.

Probably you can try to break down exactly how you do it and start from there. The ski is short enough and not stiff, plus it's relatively narrow, there is no reason for it not to turn quickly enough to go slower. I skied longer and wider BPs and found them very manageable. Maybe you can try to start by going slowly and focus on maintaining this speed. Find their sweet spot and stay on it. Stay more dynamic, pivot rather than edge, don't block your skis with a pole plant as this makes ski turn longer than you intend and you'll be picking up speed. It can be little tricky in the beginning, especially if you are used to get more assistance from skis in the past but with a little practice you should be fine, you don't need great contact surface with snow/long edge for this kind of turns. Skis won't like ice much (I personally just slide down on BPs when/where it's really icy - better on skis than on my behind:smile:), but hard pack should be fine.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I took them out in Pennsylvania for the first time and it was primarily hard pack with random icy sheets. They were great in snow and went right through crud, but the ice was too much for me to control. Also, once I had one bad run with them my confidence shot right down, I wonder if that affected my skill level as well. Maybe I just ski better on more traditional skis??

This sounds like a bad tune to me as well. If they ski fine for you in snow and crud, but not hardpack, it just doesn't sound like a "you" thing and it doesn't like the skis in and of themselves are totally wrong for you because you can ski them in certain conditions. Just went through a similar experience with DH. He'd learned to ski many moons ago, when skis were straight, long and thin. But that sort of skiing was too hard on his knees and he gave it up for many years- 26 to be exact. I finally talked him into trying skiing again this season (promised him the shaped skis practical turned themselves now)- and he loved it!!!!

Not knowing what he would like or if he would like it, I got him a seasonal rental. He's 5'5" and ~130#. So I started him on a 150cm ski to be conservative. (Old Rossis with no tip rocker/early rise). Within a two days of skiing, he was going so fast on the groomers that he was getting a lot of chatter. So after some discussion, he took them back to the shop to swap them out for 160cm. He skied those 160cms for the first time New Year's Day and it was a DISASTER. Suddenly he had no control over the skis, they were skiing him, and he felt like they were all over the place. He was doing some 'survival ski habits'- in the backseat, lifting his inside foot to force the turn, etc.

So trying to make a long story short, we ended up in the pro shop after we finally got down the mountain (I was going to set him up with some demos) and the guy we spoke with, a long time ski racer, suggested that the tune was bad on them and part of the reason they felt so squirrelly.(other possibility- with no tip rocker they were a bit too long for him at this stage of the game) I'm not a ski tech, but just feeling around, there were parts to the edges that were sharper/duller than others.

So they are going back to the shop for a tune as soon as he gets back to town. I'm still a little aghast that a ski shop would let their skis go out the door with such shoddy work- its hardly seems like a good marketing idea! Hopefully, that fixes the issue. If not, I'm not sure what we are going to do next, except looking for some new skis for him! (Which is a whole other set of problems because we don't know how to narrow down the myriad of ski choices for him yet!)

Also another thought that just came to me- boots. Have they been properly fitted for you? What about with the bindings on your skis?? I discovered from boot fitting earlier this season that when I was standing in my boots, my right leg was effectively longer than the other. This meant that when I was flat on my right ski, I was always a little bit on the edge of the left ski. The boot fitter said to me almost word for word "you probably have no problems in the snow, because your feet are able to push the snow out of the way in such a manner that makes them even, but you probably really struggle on the hardpack." And oh boy was he ever right!!! He shaved down my right boot slightly and the difference is practically night and day. So just bear in mind, it might not be the skis, it could be your stance over those skis and that problem is going to be way more noticeable on the hardback than on snow/crud. That will also result in the symptoms you describe.

Last edited:

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
@climbingbetty I'm definitely going to go back to the shop today to discuss this. Also, I too learned to ski with straight skinny skis and I still resort to my old habits (picking up the inside leg as you described) and with these skis that makes my skiing worse rather than better! Perhaps I need to do a few lessons to sharpen my technique with these skis and try to leave the old habits behind. It's funny, because when I was driving home I noticed that my knees hurt :-(

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You keep bringing it up, and even before that I was going to say, take a lesson. When I first moved off my beginner season lease skis to an intermediate/advanced ski, I was falling down on GREEN trails. It wasn't the ski, it was me. All the bad habits that beginner skis let you get away with. A quick tune up should be all it takes to get you feeling more comfortable. If I had to bet, my guess is you were a bit intimidated getting on the new skis, so you are skiing defensively and in the backseat (don't worry, we all do it!) and that would absolutely lead to trouble controlling the skis. Don't give up yet, give them another shot.

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
@marymack yes my daughter said I was skiing very "reserved" and she was flying passed me on blues (which has never ever happened before omg). I was definitely intimidated. How did you improve when you moved from beginner/leased skis to a more advanced ski? Thanks everyone for your advice and replies!! This has been bothering me for days, I feel like a beginner again!

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
@climbingbetty I'm definitely going to go back to the shop today to discuss this. Also, I too learned to ski with straight skinny skis and I still resort to my old habits (picking up the inside leg as you described) and with these skis that makes my skiing worse rather than better! Perhaps I need to do a few lessons to sharpen my technique with these skis and try to leave the old habits behind. It's funny, because when I was driving home I noticed that my knees hurt :-(

If your knees hurts, I would say its pretty likely that you were skiing from the backseat. Backseat skiing is often symptom, not a problem in and of itself.

Get the new skis tuned. Go out and try them again. If you're still having problems, definitely take a lesson. You can trial and error a lot of things and a lot of the suggestions here, but a good instructor could save you a lot of time ( and money) by watching you ski and helping you pinpoint the problem.

The biggest leaps in my ski ability came 1.) when I got stiffer, more advanced skis and 2.) when I had my boots fitted for me & my stance issues.

Both of those came about after an instructor watched me ski and said "your skis are too soft and you are overpowering them" and later when another one said, "you're not standing in your boots right or getting enough flex, you should go see the boot fitter."

There are so many skis on the market, it can be hard to figure out which is the right one for you. That's why here at TheSkiDiva.com, we are constantly advising people "demo, demo, DEMO!" It's really the only way to know for sure what skis will work for you. I'm sure almost every Diva here has a story of making a ski purchase based on the spec and hating it when they got to ride it, or finding a ski they thought they would hate, demoing it and then loving it. My concern for you at this point is that you could take these back to shop and swap them out, but swap them for what????

Again, a lesson with a good instructor could help you pinpoint the problem so you know whether you need to demo different skis, or take that money and have your boots worked or, or have the skis tuned, etc.

ETA: the other advantage of a lesson is that the instructor can help you tweak your technique so that you are using the skis more efficiently. That means more fun because your legs & knees will hurt less!

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I don't know where you are going to go skiing tomorrow, but when you take a lesson, see if you can't take one with a Level 2 or even Level 3 PSIA-certified instructor.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took them out in Pennsylvania for the first time and it was primarily hard pack with random icy sheets. They were great in snow and went right through crud, but the ice was too much for me to control. Also, once I had one bad run with them my confidence shot right down, I wonder if that affected my skill level as well. Maybe I just ski better on more traditional skis??
I agree with @climbingbetty that it might be a ski tune problem, but a lesson certainly can't hurt. I'll be interested to hear how everything came out.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am sure a lesson will help you sort out whatever problems you've been experiencing and you may not want to part with your skis. Just make sure you communicate this to the instructor and your expectations from the lesson. Good luck!

mustski

Angel Diva

I may be unique this way, but I had little problem switching over after quite a few seasons not skiing. I am not a super advanced amazing skier either. Lessons will always help, unless there is a problem with the skis

I agree with @climbingbetty that it might be a ski tune problem, but a lesson certainly can't hurt. I'll be interested to hear how everything came out.
I experienced a TRUE tune problem last year for the first time in 40 years of skiing. I had my skis tuned at a shop that I totally trust; we had 6 skis tuned at the same time - base grind, edges, wax. Mine came back "railed" - a low spot down the center of the base - and there was nothing I could do to control them! I tried everything and it was just downright scary! The shop fixed it and it was fine, but PHEW - bad day. I have heard of skis coming like this, rarely but it does happen, from the manufacturer.

ETA: a lesson will be a waste of money if there is a problem with the skis. Lay them out flat and then lay a straight edge (ruler or other tool) on the base of the ski. Shine a flashlight from the tip down. If any light is showing through under the straight edge tool, you've got a tune problem.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To go along with what others are saying about a possible tuning issue- since they are new, I would make sure the tips and tails have been "de-tuned". That could account for some of the turn issues. If they are hard to release at the end of a turn this would be a tell tale sign that they have not been "de-tuned." Otherwise, a lesson to help you get more balanced and confident on them might be in order. Or, it just might not be the ski for you!

The season is too short to spend time on skis that you aren't having fun on!

Duckie

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not sure about the ski's, but some ski areas have a "demo program" where for a nominal fee you can demo like 5 of their good demo ski's. Ski's really are something you have to try out before you buy. Every skier, especially women, ski differently. Sometimes reviews and sales people can be misleading.

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
Well I tried them again, this time with a lesson and definitely improved a bit, however, I'm just not that comfortable on the ski so I did end up exchanging them. I chose a Rossi Temptation 80, have not tried this ski yet but hopefully I will fare a bit better!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I tried them again, this time with a lesson and definitely improved a bit, however, I'm just not that comfortable on the ski so I did end up exchanging them. I chose a Rossi Temptation 80, have not tried this ski yet but hopefully I will fare a bit better!
That's a smart move! You gave them a chance and even took a lesson, but if they are not "your" ski, then you are smart to move on. The Temptation skis are fun! I hope they work better for you.

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
The instructor told me that I should get a ski with minimal rocker, I guess that was the problem, and now I realize the Temptation 80 also has a significant rocker (30/70). Soooo I explained that in the ski shop and they recommended these. I didn't realize until now, I just blindly listened to the guy. Now I don't know if I should return these before I even use them omg this is getting frustrating.

Basically, the instructor said that I was used to skiing hard packed/icy east coast conditions is a ski with traditional camber/no rocker. The new skis have significant rocker and therefore less edge grip, as I was initiating turns and NOT feeling the edge immediately I would get panicky and then out of control. He said that if I just get a ski with traditional camber I would ski how I used to. I did explain this at the ski shop and they gave me the Temptation ski with an early rise rocker it seems. Ugh.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try the Temptations. The ones I demoed a few seasons ago (I also demoed and bought the Black Pearls) were turny turny turny and FUN. And felt very different than the Black Pearls.

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
I need a turny ski because I like to do short, quick turns down steeps and I felt that the Cheyenne and I were going two different directions. Do you think this significant rocker will impact my edge grip on the steeper terrain, especially on hard packed?

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Usually rocker, practically in the tip, helps you initiate turns and makes them turn more easily. However, for good edge grip, you have to make sure they are the right length for you. The rocker shortens what I like to think of as the 'effective edge length,' and that can effect your 'grip' and stability at speed. So if the ski is too short for you, you might feel like you don't have enough grip. Also, you might want to look at the turn radius. If you like short, quick turns, you'd probably like a ski with a smaller turn radius.

ETA: now that I go back and look, at 5'7" and 170 pounds, and an advanced level skier, those 163cm Cheyennes were probably too short for you if they had significant tip rocker. I'm in inch and half shorter and about 15 pounds less than you and my first ski was the K2 Sweet Luv in 163cm. They had some tip rocker for easier turn initiation, so they skied a little shorter that that, but my point is, if I had to hazard a guess, from you professed height, weight and ski ability the Cheyennes were too short. What length did you get the Temptations in?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna