• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Cheyenne-- regret?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Omg ladies what a nightmare today. I went to the ski shop to discuss the return policy for the Rossis and the guy tried to save me swap it out for a smaller ski?! I ended up returning the skis because the guy was so horrible I just wanted to leave. He said:

1- I'm sick of ski instructors thinking they lie about skis
2- If I couldn't ski the Cheyenne I just don't know how to ski.
3- You need a shorter ski length with a rocker tip
4- Rocker tip is easier to maneuver in icy terrain
5- ALL skis now have rocker tip and there are no skis left with traditional camber
6- Who is giving me this information?
7- He skies 55 days a season
8- I should rent a pair of "crummy" skis or he can sell the rentals to me
9- I should be skiing around a 154
10- He skies 55 days a season (he said that a lot)

I then got all of my money back and went to a different shop. The guy at the 2nd spot told me everything that you ladies did and suggested an Élan Black Magic or an Atomic Pure but I was so nervous to buy another ski I just left.

Also, I found one of my favorite seasonal rentals by an old pic and it was a Salomon Scrambler lol. Maybe I can find a ski that sort of mimics that. It had no rocker and was a 72 waist. I skied that in a 160 I believe.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA OMG is that first shop guy really a person? Reminds me of way back in the day when I walked out of a ski shop because the sales guy asked me as his first question 'what color skis are you looking for?'

lisamamot

Angel Diva
That is absolutely astounding. So glad you got your money back!

Do you have access to demos where you ski? If so, do it! The mountain shop at the mountain is a fine place to start, but don't limit yourself to there if there are other choices.

If there simply are no demos in your area then Plan B. Google your Scrambler, find the pic that matches, and read the specs. I looked up the Solomon Scrambler, and there are many models, but from what I can tell it is a men's ski and is now the Salomon Enduro? Changed quite a bit since 2006 when the Scrambler seems to last been made, but it is something to work off. With your specs don't discount men's skis.

For a women's ski, I believe you would be happy on the Volkl Chiara 162 or something of similar construction. You may enjoy the Élan they recommended, but it tops out at 158. The Cloud 9 sounds very soft from what I read and you will overpower it.

Jilly

Staff member
So the Scrambler was a unisex ski that was used in a lot of places as rentals. In Salomon there is the X-cart or the 24W. I had the 24W out last weekend, but it was too long and too stiff. The X-cart was softer. Neither have any rocker. So there are some options in that line.

I tend to agree about the Cloud 9 or the 11 even. Found them just too light.

That elan Black Magic is a true parabolic ski and really fun. Carves well. I didn't know it was still in the line. We don't see much in the Elans around here anymore.

Go demo and have some fun!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's great you got to try those skis and then return them & get your money back. The guy was completely ungracious about losing the sale, after all he now has a pair of used skis on his hands. Too bad, so sad, but that was the deal after all. He lost the sale and lost you as a potential buyer of something else.

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva
I think it's great you got to try those skis and then return them & get your money back. The guy was completely ungracious about losing the sale, after all he now has a pair of used skis on his hands. Too bad, so sad, but that was the deal after all. He lost the sale and lost you as a potential buyer of something else.

Yes and I only wanted an exchange after all. I wanted a new pair of skis. But every time I asked a question or mentioned something about the ski being too short etc he was soooo condescending and acted like I had no clue about anything. He had some chip on his shoulder about ski instructors too, it was weird.

veritasliberat

Certified Ski Diva
For what it's worth, I'm about your height and a little heavier, and I love my black magics (in 158). I just moved west, but previously was skiing mostly WV and PA, and they served me well in most conditions. The only complaint I had was when the snow got really slushy in the spring. I'm not an expert, but I think that is to be expected with such a narrow waisted ski. Or it could just have been my skiing. :-) Sounds like you might be a little more advanced than I am, since I was just starting to ski expert runs. I have skis with rocker now in a 168 and they feel shorter to me than the black magics at 158. Sounds like the black magics would be close to what you had in that rental ski you liked. Good luck! Glad you moved on from that first shop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@jerseyski : glad you are starting fresh! While I've bought little stuff at a Ski Barn, it's not where I'd be likely to buy skis in NC/VA.

For what it's worth, I demo'd the Blizzard Cheyenne today at Massanutten. Conditions were quite good, in the 20s, groomed and pack machine-made powder all day. Tried two lengths. The longer one was better, but I still didn't particularly like them. Especially not in comparison to the Rossi Temptation 80 or Head Absolut Joy. (I'm 5'0", 120 lbs, advanced.) It was a surprise given that I like my Black Pearls in a variety of conditions.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think the turning issue is necessarily the ski, though, in the sense that it's a bad tune or anything. The more I read your posts in this thread, jerseyski, I think that there's something going on in your technique with respect to turning that you could hide with a traditional camber or longer ski that is showing up when you are on a shorter, rockered ski. But that panicky feeling you are describing when you begin to turn and don't feel the edge is pretty common when you're used to a ski without a rocker tip.

Good luck!

I've got to agree with this, I'm taller and heavier than the OP and routinely ski a 160cm carver, yes it's too short for me but that doesn't make it harder to ski, it just makes it a little scary if I go fast and harder to be totally balanced in cut up snow. I demoed the 170cm Cheyenne and really liked it, I found it really easy to ski but it wasn't a noodle, I don't actually remember thinking about the stiffness, it just skied nicely. I demoed other skis on the same day which were definitely too soft and short for me and again there is no way this makes them difficult to turn, just not very confidence inspiring. I think it's really tempting to think the perfect ski will solve all your problems but in this instance I think you need to look at technique.

The shop does sound ###### though so glad you got your money back.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oh and sorry but I have to agree with the guy about tip rocker being all but ubiquitous. There is a big difference between actual rocker which is useful in 3D snow and marketing tip rocker though so don't worry so much about how your ski is marketed :smile:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am about your height and weight, an advanced skier also. I demoed the Salomon Bamboo this weekend and really liked it a lot. Wanted to try it longer than the 160ish one I had, though. I liked the Cheyenne I demoed also, but thought it was a bit soft for my/our weight.

mustski

Angel Diva
Good for you for sticking to your guns, getting your money back, and walking out! That shop dude was nothing more than a "richard noggin!" Demoing is good idea if you can do it. If not, look for seasonal rentals for a year, take some lessons, and get a better idea of what you personally like in a ski. Either way, ignore shop dude, and put more weight on the advice of instructors who have seen you ski.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am about your height and weight, an advanced skier also. I demoed the Salomon Bamboo this weekend and really liked it a lot. Wanted to try it longer than the 160ish one I had, though. I liked the Cheyenne I demoed also, but thought it was a bit soft for my/our weight.
@maggie198 I have a pair of the Bamboo in 165 that are just too long for me. I have skied them a total of about 20 RUNS. Let me know if you are interested in them by chance. I have them on consignment right now but can yank them out :becky:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2014-Last year's. No changes made with the ski except graphics. I'd take $325 for them.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know I guess I never thought about it, maybe I'm not explaining that great. I had a problem on the steeps because I felt I couldn't turn the ski quickly enough to slow down my speed and then would therefore be going too fast, leading to the out of control feeling.

I know exactly how you feel. I had this problem with my Rossi S86w skis (170cm). They just didn't want to turn on the steeps, and it was terrifying! I think it was the stiffness of them, I just couldn't muscle them round, it felt like they were trying to kill me! They were great on the more gentle slopes but I ended up completely avoiding anything remotely steep.

I replaced them with 158 Dynastar Idylls which were fabulous, and have now switched to the Black Pearls which I've demoed and love. I just think I like softer skis.

I'm 5'7 and 180 lbs.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know exactly how you feel. I had this problem with my Rossi S86w skis (170cm). They just didn't want to turn on the steeps, and it was terrifying! I think it was the stiffness of them, I just couldn't muscle them round, it felt like they were trying to kill me! They were great on the more gentle slopes but I ended up completely avoiding anything remotely steep.

I replaced them with 158 Dynastar Idylls which were fabulous, and have now switched to the Black Pearls which I've demoed and love. I just think I like softer skis.

I'm 5'7 and 180 lbs.

I think I like softer skis too. I just could not get comfortable on the Temptation 88s, other than on pure groomers.

jerseyski

Certified Ski Diva

I'm 5'7 and 180 lbs.

That was the EXACT feeling that I had on the steeps! I think maybe I prefer a softer ski as well! They were great on the easier runs, but the steeps... Ugh couldn't have said it better myself (and I do have very strong legs)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna