• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

are helmets cool???

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Regarding helmets....it's unfortunate that it took the death of a famous person, but I'm encouraged by what the publicity is doing for helmets. My BF, who I never thought would consider a helmet, mentioned that he thinks using his Ski Market gift certificate to make a helmet his next ski-related purchase would be a good decision. yay! And today, my former roommate, who is a boarder, emailed me today to ask where I got my helmet and how I chose it. Very encouraging and I'm glad that both of them will be joining the helmet-covered crowd!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Regarding helmets....it's unfortunate that it took the death of a famous person
You missed Round 1, winter of 97-98, when Michael Kennedy and Sonny Bono died within a couple of months of each other. One at Aspen, the other at Heavenly. Hit trees.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish this was true. Last week we had two kids(11 & 15) admitted on two separate days with bad head injuries. Both here on spring break from out of state, no helmets and SKIING WITH THEIR PARENTS!!!! In both cases their parents witnessed the accidents. Really, WTF?? I was mortified that with all the publicity last week this would still happen. It almost makes me want to change my mantra of "wear a helmet, it could save your life" to "don't wear a helmet and save someone elses life!" Just pissses me off!

GRRRRRRRRR.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish this was true. Last week we had two kids(11 & 15) admitted on two separate days with bad head injuries. Both here on spring break from out of state, no helmets and SKIING WITH THEIR PARENTS!!!! In both cases their parents witnessed the accidents. Really, WTF?? I was mortified that with all the publicity last week this would still happen. It almost makes me want to change my mantra of "wear a helmet, it could save your life" to "don't wear a helmet and save someone elses life!" Just pissses me off!

GRRRRRRRRR.
I tried to ski "old school" for a retro day and wear my old neon pink head band instead of my helmet. couldn't to it. It just felt wrong and I could barely link a two turns.

Funny how we used to ski without helmets and never thought anything about it.

Jilly

Staff member
I found it interesting today that the CSA - Canadian Standards Association has decided that maybe they should have a standard for ski and snowboard helmets. DAH!!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no problems with wearing my helmet in warm weather and I ski in 70-80 degrees in the summers. I use a Giro G10 helmet.
Same one I have. Don't ski in 70-80*, but in the low 50s a couple weeks ago I didn't feel bad at all. Has great vents. The G9 I had for a few years before this one never heated me up either. Sure, I dream of the '90s when my hair could fly on those warm spring days...ahhhh... but not worth chance.

Who said they had a pink neon headband? OMG - that was my 80s/90s headband, I was styling.

Makes me wonder what Glenn Plake's signature would be today if he had to cover his neon hair lol.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Makes me wonder what Glenn Plake's signature would be today if he had to cover his neon hair lol.

He'd just get one of those helmet covers, custom-made to match his hair.

(I love those things, especially some of the ones the littlest kids have!)

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, check out the webpage for Greek Peak (www.greekpeak.net). Lots of pictures, few helmets -- even on some of the pictures of kids. The director of marketing says that studies show that there are more serious accidents among skiers who wear helmets than those you do.

I find that dubious. What do you all think. Or even better, what do you know?

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, check out the webpage for Greek Peak (www.greekpeak.net). Lots of pictures, few helmets -- even on some of the pictures of kids. The director of marketing says that studies show that there are more serious accidents among skiers who wear helmets than those you do.

Maybe it is because the majority of people who are in accidents are the ones who ski most?:noidea:
I love my Head helmet. It is so soft. If something was to happen to my helmet I would buy another Head helmet again.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing I find so absolutely horrible is that $50 would most likely have saved her life. After the incident at our home mountain I couldnt' help but think about that too. $50. :( We spend hundreds/thousandsof dollars to go on ski trips with our kids and then we don't spend an extra $50 to make sure they're safer. :( So very sad.

And yes, helmets are WAY cooler than drooling on myself and never being able to wipe my own butt again (somehow have some sort of fetish about not being able to do that).

I was in the terrain park this weekend and saw some teen slip off the box and whack his head ON the box. He was rattled. I told him he should go get checked out at least by ski patrol. Also took the moment to tell him that he SHOULD be wearing a helmet.:redface: Sorry, couldnt' help myself. :laugh:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
on a lighter note re: helmets and stickers...I'm a dweeb! I thought I was so cool by putting a neat sticker on the back of my helmet, and the other night I took my goggles off completely to let them dry (after skiing in heavy snow) and I still had the little "M" size sticker from the factory on the front of my helmet! doh. I never noticed it because the goggles always covered it when I pushed them up off my face.

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It almost makes me want to change my mantra of "wear a helmet, it could save your life" to "don't wear a helmet and save someone elses life!"

I like that. You could combine the two "...save your life OR don't wear a helmet and save someone else's life with an organ donation."

I started skiing as a very young child in the mid sixties and skied (and eventually taught) every winter weekend for the next twenty years.

The only time I ever saw a helmet on a skier was when a group of kids from the May Company department store skied. They always wore helmets. I think that that May Co. organized the trips and parents put their kids on buses headed for the slopes. I vaguely remember the group being called The Blizzards. My apologies for the digression down memory lane...

The Blizzards always wore helmets. Although NO ONE else wore helmets we didn't care much either way about the other kids wearing helmets. We certainly didn't tease them.

I didn't ski for about ten years but started again when my kids were pre-schoolers. I remembered The Blizzards and didn't even hesitate to have my kids wear helmets. I did not wear a helmet. Why should I? In twenty years of skiing, I never heard of a head injury. Ok, Bono and Kennedy but surely they must have been reckless to sustain a head injury. :noidea:

I did however notice two things that were different from my earlier ski days. The first was the east coast, where I now live, has ice, whereas California, where I grew up, had snow. More importantly, there were snow boarders. On one run, I had fallen and I had a snow boarder come quite close to my head. I realized if I got hit in the head by a skier I might need some stitches but if I got hit by a snow boarder I could be in serious trouble. That was when I decided that I would buy myself a helmet as soon as we returned home. To me it wasn't a big deal since I was already wearing a helmet for other sports (bike, inline skates, motorcycles etc.)

The very next trip up the chair lift I fell as I was getting off. My son was next to me and literally followed my advice when I told him to head left when we got off the chair lift. He immediately turned left, plowed into me and I fell backwards, hitting the back of my head on the solid ice. I don't think I lost consciousness, but the world went totally black and everything that people were saying appeared as white bubble letters. Very strange. When I stood up, the ski patrol asked me how I felt. I told him that I felt like I should have been wearing a helmet. :smile: I didn't go to the doctor since I thought I had only a mild concussion but now realize that I should have. I wasn't aware of the "lucid interval" of an epidural hematoma. I was lucky.

Now I take my kids' friends to the slopes whenever they are available. The only rule I have is that they have to wear helmets. I don't care if it is a bike helmet. Ideally the snow boarders would wear wrist guards since we've had a couple of green stick broken wrists but I leave that up to the parents. I did have one kid end up with a very mild concussion even though he was wearing a skate boarding helmet. I didn't know he had hit his head until a couple of days later when his Mom told me that she had taken him to the ER later that night.

Actually, I have one other rule for my kids and their friends. They have to take a lesson if they have never skied or boarded before. That includes when a proficient skier tries snow boarding for the first time. My own kids have to take at least one ski lesson early in the year even though they are decent skiers.

Sorry about the long post.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I've been skiing since 1968 and I still try to get at least one lesson the beginning of every season to start with good habits instead of embedding bad ones. :ski2:

mollmeister

Angel Diva

Maybe he's referring to this:
"In fact, more than half of the people involved in fatal accidents last season were wearing helmets at the time of the incident."
https://www.nsaa.org/nsaa/press/0809/helmet-safety.asp

Based on the rest of this document, though, I would venture to say that's because most of the helmets currently on the market are not rated to a high enough speed and because "The least likely demographic to wear a helmet are men aged 18 to 24 where only 32 percent wear helmets," and in my mind, these are the people most likely to ski aggressively and have highest incidence of accidents?
:noidea:

Also. . . the below contradicts with the above? I think someone needs to do another study and press for higher impact ratings on helmets. 12-14mph isn't enough.
Still, non-helmet users were greater than two times more likely to have died of head injuries among accidents in which helmet use was known. Just more than one-third of the deaths involved those wearing a helmet, with about half of them also suffering fatal head injuries.
https://www.ski-blog.com/2008/01/some_statistics_on_ski_injurie.html

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
.....because "The least likely demographic to wear a helmet are men aged 18 to 24 where only 32 percent wear helmets," and in my mind, these are the people most likely to ski aggressively and have highest incidence of accidents?

I would say yes, since this is also the group (slightly larger, men ages 16-25) who are the highest risk category for auto insurance. They simply drive too fast, too recklessly in general - so it makes sense that it would translate to the slopes.

It would be interesting to see a survey that would calculate the percentage of skiers, and of snowboarders, who wear helmets at each resort across the country. I wonder if there are regional tendencies.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
having worn a helmet for the last five years, growing accustomed to it, I have had mine stolen, just around the time of Natasha's unfortunate accident and death.

So----I have been on a quest to replace my helmet. But, the paradox is interesting. Because of this high-publicity accident, the sales of helmets here are off the charts. So, try as I might---I have NOT BEEN ABLE TO BUY A HELMET that I like or that fits---because they are sold out. Kuput.

So, I am begging/borrowing helmets and today, as several other days, have gone without. I will buy one---when I can GET one.

REI, Christys, Brighton and pro-forma-----none available at any price.

Next helmet---I am PLASTERING that sucker with girlie stickers----maybe it won't be so attractive to those that snake unattended helmets in ski resort locker rooms.

And I had skull candy ear flaps. The b#@@@tards. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm so sorry, dloveski; I can unterstand your frustration! :hug:

Since mine is a common looking black Boeri, before I wore it I put a Ski Diva sticker on it. And then I added snow(man), (Okemo) ski, (Nemo) swimming and a mouse = snowski/swimmouse!!! So, basically divas, I also have my name on mine! Yes, I've read the comments about stickers, but I'd rather hold onto my helmet! Besides, the stickers make me smile! :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh no, dloveski! SO sorry to hear of this theft!!! AND the timing/unavailability!! :mad2:

It would be interesting to see a survey that would calculate the percentage of skiers, and of snowboarders, who wear helmets at each resort across the country. I wonder if there are regional tendencies.
Just discussed the percentages today on the chairlift at Sugarloaf, Maine. It was a warm, sunny spring day, at least 50 at the summit (wow). We guessed that helmet wear was above 90% - possibly as high as 95%. Pretty darn good! And it was a good sample size: a very busy day, all parking lots to capacity and beyond.

When I first skied there in 2/2001, it was the first thing I noticed: the high percentage of helmet wearers -- even 8 years ago, a pretty solid majority. I bought one shortly thereafter and never looked back. ("When in Rome...?")

Now? Even on a warm day, huge percentage. The ones who don't wear helmets pretty much stick out like sore thumbs.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL, I wonder if more folks back East (land of ice) wear helmets than folks out West (land of powder and slush). Regardless, 90% is wonderful! Now if the people who refuse to take a lesson, and just grab a board and head to the top, would take their iPods out of their ears all would be well.....

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I am begging/borrowing helmets and today, as several other days, have gone without.

I know there is an ick factor involved but...how about renting a helmet until you can buy one? I think every resort rents them although our local ski shops do not rent them.

Maybe wearing a skull cap would help if the thought of the a gazillion teenage sweaty heads :fear: previously using the helmet grosses you out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga