• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

are helmets cool???

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
I am always amazed at the number of teens I see without helmets. :noidea:

A parent is usually not with the kid though so maybe the helmet is in a bag in the ski lodge. :wink:

I am all for anything that will keep me warmer and safer.

abc

Banned
Helmet is not cool in some circles.

But it's warm.

Some people care about looking cool. I guess teenagers care the most. I'm glad I'm not a mother.

My friend who's a mother, had never thought about helmet. 1) she rarely crash and never hit her head, 2) her husband doesn't wear helmets, 3) the families she ski with don't wear helmets. In short, it's not "cool" in her circle of friends.

But she complain about being cold. And her daughter likes skiing but not the cold (they ski at Tremblant). So I said "A helmet will make you warmer".

She bought one for herself but her daughter still wanted to be cool...

Only when the kid got cold and her mother said "you could have worn a helmet"...

So now both mother and daughter wear a helmet.

When you're skiing at Quebec, you can be pretty darn cold for looking "cool" without a helmet! :wink:

GrenobleSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Well, only just got a helmet for DH today! I wear a helmet and DD wears a helmet, but DH was still suffering from the "cool" issue I think. None of the other dads wear helmets, why would he need one. But last weekend he had a really scary fall. Sat through lunch with him repeating, "wow, that was my worst fall yet," followed by "I'm not hungry". Thankfully no vomiting ensued. Needless to say I had to drive home and the head ache only subsided on Wednesday. (He did go to the doctors on Monday.) I'm just glad the fall wasn't worse, but bad enough to scare him into getting a helmet.

eternal121

Certified Ski Diva
Yes of course helmets are cool when they save your life!

I just went to Okemo yesterday with my boyfriend and his friend and there was seriously nothing but sheets of ice. On the bottom of the first hill people were falling everywhere because the ice was so slippery. My friend, who had no helmet, fell twice well snowboarding and ending up having a concussion and was rushed to the hospital. He's ok but it was a scary moment.

So absolutely helmets are cool when they save your life. If you don't like the regular helmets, get something with a cool design like one of the Giro's. I have mine with a gold design and I collect stickers from wherever I go so that I have a collection on my helmet to express who I am.

I would definitely recommend a helmet. I've had some close experiences too so there is no doubt that something is considered "cool" when it saves your life.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most stickers today are acid free/archival. Some stickers are not, but unless you are peeling off stickers with solvents or using solvents/paint, a few stickers, especially acid free/archival ones shouldn't affect the integrity of the shell. Everyone is CYA conscious these days in an effort to avoid a (potentially frivolous) law suit.

I grew up skiing with no helmet, at the time, only racers wore them. Then I took my long (health related) hiatus from skiing, came back last year and it was helmet city, which to me is a good thing, but something I had to adjust to as it was not something I grew up using.

Got a great Smith Holt Helmet <---click here on Tramdock with the Skullcandy inserts and has the cord with a mic for my cell phone. It's a funky helmet - white with black ants crawling up the side - which go with my SPY pop art black and white goggles. No one misses me on the slopes with that get up. Cool or not, it's warmer than a hat, I'm safe and it's certainly a "statement". LOL That being said, where I ski, more people wear helmets than not, I think due to the sheer crowding on the Southern NY slopes and the dangers that presents. My daughter wears a helmet, as do most of the other kids in her ski class, but not ALL of them do. I can't believe it's NYS law that you must wear a helmet biking (at least for kids) but don't have to have your children in one to ski. Something is definitely wrong with that.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I <3 my helmet. Cliff huck the other night, landed in the backseat, slammed my head into the ground so hard my goggles ended up on my mouth. And today, my shoulders hurt worse than my noggin.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
O-M-G are you okay? Did you whack your shoulder or your Scapula? I broke my scapula a few years back and it was very painful! Did you have it looked at yet? Please be careful we've had enough bad things happen to our Divas this year.:love:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolutely. I'm just sore. Nothing feels broken, just, it hurts to lift my arms, or flex. The snow was super soft, I just flew after I hit the ground. All good. Thanks though!!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally got to 'use' my helmet Feb 22 when a full size teenager/20ish boy flew out of a skinny slot in the woods right into me (on a narrow trail). I got spun around and slammed backwards down the hill with a huge back of the head/helmet crash on the ice - 'what just happened!' moment - never saw him until he hit me - I ski that area about 40 days/year and had never even seen that slot (it may be new) because there is no way that it should exist - in an extremely dangerous spot right after a large curve so no one can see anyone coming and there isn't even anything to ski in it! I considered myself extremely luck that nothing was broken/ripped - just major headache/neck ache that has yet to totally go away. I had had 2 previous incidents when I wished I had had a helmet (when helmets were starting to be used), but escaped head injury (another collision -with a junior racer cutting the wrong way across traffic to get to her race shack, and a trip flying into the woods after a binding release - the Atomics that are now being recalled). I am a very good skier, and ski reasonably fast, but cautiously (old age and common sense). Yeah, I take a digger several times a year, but I know that my main fear is outside forces over which I have no control. It took me a long time to find a helmet that fit, and hoped that I would never actually need to 'use' it. I have been enjoying it's warmth, however, and have been bonked on the head with the chairlift bar on occasion. Most folks I know wear them (how can you tell your kids to wear them when you don't - but we don't have kids!). I know that they won't save you every time, but this time I was happy to have one on........and I don't care if it's cool or not - but at our area it is (mostly because they are warm!)

Loes

Certified Ski Diva
Loes: Did you try a kids helmet?

Yeah, I did.... I actually but a kids helmet first, because I couldn't found anything else.. It was a RED helmet, but this still didn't fit right (to lose on the sides).

I think my problem is that my head is a little out of shape, maybe a little coned or something... But hey, I found a helmet now :smile:

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a helmet this year and not only does it make my head warmer, I think it fits better with my goggles, hence making me look cooler. Just kidding... like I care what anyone thinks of me on the slopes... no one sees the front of me anyway because no one can keep up!

:eyebrows:

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
I finally got to 'use' my helmet Feb 22 when a full size teenager/20ish boy flew out of a skinny slot in the woods right into me (on a narrow trail). I got spun around and slammed backwards down the hill with a huge back of the head/helmet crash on the ice - 'what just happened!' moment - never saw him until he hit me - I ski that area about 40 days/year and had never even seen that slot (it may be new) because there is no way that it should exist - in an extremely dangerous spot right after a large curve so no one can see anyone coming and there isn't even anything to ski in it! I considered myself extremely luck that nothing was broken/ripped - just major headache/neck ache that has yet to totally go away.

I am glad to hear you are ok.

I had the same thing happen to me last year on the Sunday of President's day weekend when it was a zoo at the mountain. It's scary!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a helmet this year and not only does it make my head warmer, I think it fits better with my goggles, hence making me look cooler. Just kidding... like I care what anyone thinks of me on the slopes... no one sees the front of me anyway because no one can keep up!

:eyebrows:
Not only does a helmet offer warmth, but many also offer venting for comfort on those warm spring skiing days as well.
I can't imagine not wearing a helmet.

EmilieW

Certified Ski Diva
My 2 cents on the helmet thing--I have just gotten back into skiing after 6-7 years away. When I skied before I had kids, nobody wore helmets and it never crossed my mind to wear one. Now when we go skiing, I feel like the "uncool" one because I don't have a helmet...seems like 90% here (Colorado) do. I just never even thought about it because I never used one before! BUT, after reading everyone's comments, plus hearing the news of Natasha Richardson's death, I am going out TONIGHT and buying one for my husband and I because we're skiing tomorrow!

Another thing I will say is that I'm sure the fit of the helmet is key. I know from biking that having an ill-fitting helmet made me feel awkward and out of control, to the point I was a worse biker. So, I'm sure the same is true for skiing--if your helmet doesn't feel right, or feels too big, then that is going to impact your skiing...so make sure it feels snug and really comfortable!

Thanks everyone for your stories and input on the helmet issue, has definitely motivated me to use one.

GrenobleSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Not only does a helmet offer warmth, but many also offer venting for comfort on those warm spring skiing days as well.
I can't imagine not wearing a helmet.

I'm finding my helmet has been keeping me a bit too warm lately even with the vents open now that the spring weather has arrived. Granted I generally "sweat" rather than "glow", but does anyone else have this problem? Having said this, I am still much happier to wring my goggles out at the end of the day than not wear my helmet.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no problems with wearing my helmet in warm weather and I ski in 70-80 degrees in the summers. I use a Giro G10 helmet.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm finding my helmet has been keeping me a bit too warm lately even with the vents open now that the spring weather has arrived. Granted I generally "sweat" rather than "glow", but does anyone else have this problem? Having said this, I am still much happier to wring my goggles out at the end of the day than not wear my helmet.
Can you remove the ear pieces? Also, I've found that having sunglasses to throw on during the lift ride and pulling up the goggles helps me cool off as well.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
One thing I personally don't get about the usual excuses re: not wearing a helmet is not being able to hear.

This was a problem for me back when I had old-school hardshell over the ears, but soft earpieces on helmets and better vented helmets seem to be OK for me in terms of being able to hear. And I have to listen to a 5yo talk ALL THE WAY DOWN sometimes. . . so believe me, if I don't hear what he's saying and respond, I am in BIG trouble.

I mean, it's not the same as nothing on your ears, but I find that I can hear plenty well to talk and notice skiers coming behind me.
:noidea:

As far as not hearing, people who ski with headphones in all the time. . . I personally don't get that. I never ran distance with headphones and I can't imagine skiing with my hearing compromised. I guess I just like to be able to hear the outdoors. . . and approaching cars, snowmobiles, and snow riders.

prairiedawn

Certified Ski Diva
You can still see the red paint on my helmet from when someone slammed the safety bar on it. This occured after I got the helmet, of course. What I'm saying is that I don't understand having to have smacked one's head *before* deciding to get one. I admit, though, that I didn't wear one when I went touring a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to lug it around, and my head would have gotten too sweaty wearing it. I should have, though, because I could have really smacked it either in the chute we went down or in the harrowing woop-dee-woop track through the woods. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga