• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

are helmets cool???

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know most of us on this forum find helmets cool and important to use while skiing. In Norway I am surprised every time I see someone without a helmet. In Austria there are fewer, but there are more and more helmet users every year. But over here I see the grown ups and small kids are using helmets, but not the teenagers and young adults.

So one day I asked the non-helmets users in the lift why they were not using it. And most of them said they had bought helmets a few years ago when it was cool to wear them, but now it was not cool anymore, so they did not use them anymore. :eek: I have to say I was very surprised about that answer. So that is my question: Why is it not cool anymore to use helmets???

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Not cool??? I had no idea :noidea:! But then again, I'm seriously out of it.

Really, though, cool shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you're serious about safety, you wear a helmet. 'Nuf said.

abc

Banned
So that is my question: Why is it not cool anymore to use helmets???
WHY???

If I could figure out what's the next "cool" thing for teenagers, I wouldn't be posting here. I'd be too busy cashing in on the next big cool thing that teens will embrace and be a billionare in a matter of months!!! :smile:

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is only very recently people used helmets skiing for anything but Downhill racing. For a short time in the 70's FIS required them for Giant Slalom, then rescinded the rule in 1978. When I had to stop skiing in 1997 nobody wore helmets except for downhill racing (the event, not alpine skiing). Head injuries were rare in skiing and in fact studies had shown that helmets actually contributed to neck injuries. I think with the popularity of snowboarding is when helmets became more prevalent. Now that they have become more popular (partially because of the discussion started by the media regarding Sonny Bono's death) and snowboarding in half-pipes etc.
severely compromised , they had no goggle straps and were frankly dangerous in and of themselves.

However should it surprise us that teens wouldn't think helmets cool. And do parents get amnesia the moment they have a child. Rebellion and thinking one is immortal is part of growing up. Even adults still don't wear seat belts, motorcyclists don't wear helmets, people drink and drive. Let's face reality, many amongst us don't give a hoot about safety, especially men. and alot of people don't like to be told what to do with regard to personal safety. And some people are overly safety conscious and want to force their ideas of safety on everyone. There are those who think dangerous sports...like skiing should be illegal, this just exacerbates the problem.
Tami (gravity girl)

My 4 kids, ages 12-15, all ski and ride with helmets. We started that way when they first got out on snow 4 seasons ago. They never complain about it and there's no "cool" or "not cool." I think the fact that they've never been out without a helmet helps.

SkiMo

Certified Ski Diva
I have an 18 year old who only wears his in competition. I think it is ridiclous, but at some point you have to let them go. When asked why it wasn't cool, he said that you don't want to look like a "gaper". (In other words, he would look like his father..who just bought a helmet this year.) They also want to wear bigger headsets now for the IPods that don't fit on the helmets.

I think that kids take risks and think they are immune to death. Look around at the number of 18-25 year olds who still think smoking is cool. It breaks my heart to see the young kids at our hill throw down some wonderful stuff...then come down to the bottom and smoke a cigarette.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, I find it much cooler to wear a helmet than to be drooling on myself for the rest of my life!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully all the little kids who start out skiing wearing helmets will keep wearing them. I know I did a lot of horseback riding as a kid and to this day I cannot bring myself to get on a horse without a helmet. The same goes for wearing life vests on boats. By contrast, I have to force myself to wear a bike helmet because I never got used to it, even though cycling in the city without a helmet is a death wish.

altagirl

Staff member
That stuff seems to go through phases. When I race DH mountain bikes - MOST of us wear a lot of body armor, plus a full face helmet. Though in the past few years there were a couple of really good riders (particularly from Australia) who didn't wear any body armor and would ride in short sleeves. Suddenly it was cool to wear less protective gear.... go figure. (They won't let you race without a helmet but the rest is optional).

It's bizarre because on one end of the spectrum you have people who don't like helmets or other protection because "I'm not hard core enough - I don't go as fast or do things as high risk as the good guys so I would look stupid (or like a poser) wearing it." and the other end of the spectrum is "I'm good at this and if I wear protection it's like saying I expect to fall or am scared of getting my arms and legs cheese grated, which doesn't look cool so I'm not going to wear it."

Neither of which make much sense, really... I wish people wouldn't worry so much about what other people think of the gear they choose to wear.

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not having brain damage is probably the coolest thing ever. :cool:

Kids will be kids. It's unfortunate that safety can be affected by what's "cool" and what's not - it worries me. But we've all been there, right? I remember when my mom made me wear a helmet when I went out bike riding with friends. I'd take it off as soon as I got a couple blocks away. It's just part of life & growing up. I can only hope that my own kids (who don't exist yet) will be smart enough to put safety first.

I can guarantee that I will be a huge helmet advocate for life. My brother hit a tree in some glades once and was out for over an hour before he woke up - alone. He had to get himself down the mountain to ski patrol and was in the hospital for a couple days with a serious concussion. My poor mother was a wreck, and I was pretty scared myself. This was about 7 years ago - helmets all the way ever since. And I hope this story will scare some sense into my future spawn. :redface:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uhhh. It's cool here...? If you're not wearing one, you get flack for it... from everyone.

And I think I look ridiculous without mine on.

The "cool" thing, in freeride skiing, lately, is to wear your beanie, and goggles, and then throw the helmet over the top. Yes, it pushes your goggles down your nose, and looks somewhat silly. But... it's actually comfortable.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I wear my helmet not because it's cool, but because it's actually toasty warm!

Okay, I have a question. As a level 2 CSIA instructor, I do a lot of sessions led by level 4s (the top level). I was doing a bump course recently and every "student" - most of us were level 2s - were all wearing helmets. However, the level 4 course conductors were not. And I rarely see level 4 wearing helmets unless they're in the park - find this most strange.

Someone said they asked a level 4 once why they don't wear a helmet and the answer was that they couldn't hear well. Duh - all of us who are taking courses with them also teach and we manage to hear just fine with our helmets on.

I get the feeling that for the level 4s, helmet wearing just isn't cool. And I think that's kind of too bad.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Uhhh. It's cool here...? If you're not wearing one, you get flack for it... from everyone.

Maybe it's the regional culture? Same around here. Most halfway committed recreationalists wear them.

Helmets for my kids was not a option, as in, "no helmet? no bike." Maybe dad being a ski patroller who regularly takes care of head injuries was part of it, but we've never gotten flack from our kids about enforcing helmets.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I don't know about the CSIA level 4's but I'm a PSIA level 3 with close to 30yrs teaching experience. I have been wearing a helmet for close to 15 yrs now, and not just for racing. The examiners here in Central seem to be about half and half. I co-teach a ladies program with a recently retired Ed-staff member and JO coach, she has been wearing a helmet full time for about the last 7 yrs now. I know that the debate has been as to whether or not that wearing a helmet while teaching subconciously impylies to the students that skiing is a dangerous sport. My answer to that is yes it most certainly can be! You assume a certain amout of risk when skiing just like when driving a car. That is why I wear a seat belt when I drive. And a helmet when I ski.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I don't know about the CSIA level 4's but I'm a PSIA level 3 with close to 30yrs teaching experience. I have been wearing a helmet for close to 15 yrs now, and not just for racing. The examiners here in Central seem to be about half and half. I co-teach a ladies program with a recently retired Ed-staff member and JO coach, she has been wearing a helmet full time for about the last 7 yrs now. I know that the debate has been as to whether or not that wearing a helmet while teaching subconciously impylies to the students that skiing is a dangerous sport. My answer to that is yes it most certainly can be! You assume a certain amout of risk when skiing just like when driving a car. That is why I wear a seat belt when I drive. And a helmet when I ski.

Glad to hear this, Perma-grin. Maybe it is just a CSIA thing. And maybe an eastern CSIA thing. I find it curious though.

I don't buy the argument at all that instructors should not wear a helmet lest they give the idea skiing is dangerous. As you said, skiing sure can be dangerous and surely helmet-wearing instructors are setting a good example. I'd venture to say that every instructor in the ski school I work for wears a helmet - I don't think it's a "rule," but it is very very strongly recommended.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, I find it much cooler to wear a helmet than to be drooling on myself for the rest of my life!
I wear my helmet not because it's cool, but because it's actually toasty warm!

Same for me ....
... it not only protects your head, its cool and keeps your head warm .... and you can choose helmets in different colors that go with your ski outfit your wearing!:becky::becky::becky:

OK thats a little bit too much but I do have helmet in colors (not black) that matches well with the color of my ski outfits. :loco::loco::loco:

Beli_Grrl

Certified Ski Diva
I'm trying to get used to mine

I just got a helmet for Christmas this year from my husband along with some pretty Oakley goggles. I don't care if it looks cool or not but it just doesn't feel comfortable for me. I don't like the feeling of having something heavy on my head. I know that sounds stupid. I also hate wearing face masks. I guess if I was in conditions that were truly horribly cold I would change my tune pretty fast, but they make me feel like I'm suffocating and I would rather just let my face freeze. I have a similar "suffocated" type feeling from the helmet. I have worn it about half the time I've skied this year. I know I need to force myself to wear it every time. I tell myself that since I'm so cautious and never try any jumps or even tree skiing that maybe I don't need it but I know that's BS-- stuff can happen no matter where you are on the mountain.

Reading this thread has been a good reality check for me. I'm going next weekend and I *will* wear my helmet!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I tell myself that since I'm so cautious and never try any jumps or even tree skiing that maybe I don't need it but I know that's BS-- stuff can happen no matter where you are on the mountain.

Quick story: a few years ago, I had stopped next to a snow fence, a bit away from the entrance to a terrain park. I was looking for someone in the park. From a side run cross-cut, someone lost control, was hit by someone else who lost control, and both slammed into me at a good clip. I didn’t even see them coming, as I was looking over the snow fence for someone. Wham. Because it was multiple steel edges (more than 2 skis!), my head seemed to catch them all in the impact. After my equilibrium returned and I reassembled my (MUCH OLDER) body from this youthful assault, I noted that my goggle strap had been cut. You should have seen the edge cuts in my helmet (which I eventually tossed). Imagine, gee, that could have been my skull. I was doing zero, nada, zip - just standing in what presumably (ha) was a safe place. Skier/rider caveat....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga