• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Apres Ski Footwear

Clarice

Diva in Training
Now everyone has been telling me not to pack heels, instead pack clothes and footwear that you would generally wear in Winter at home.

That would be heels. Not stilletos but knee high boots with a small block heel or a rubber wedge heel. Are these still unsuitable? :injured:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
For using where? In snow country, it's the sole traction that's important. While they may not look "high fashion" in a big city, that's what people wear apres-ski anywhere there's questionable footing. Suggest Keen & Merrell, which come in many styles, colors and heights, from slip-on to boot. Fashion boots, when you wind up on your hiney, are not going to serve you well.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, it depends on what you're talking about. For immediately post ski I have a pair of heavy duty Merrells that do the job. But I do wear my high heeled (yes stiletto) boots if I'm going out for a nicer dinner at night in Vail. But I'm crazy like that.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Waterproof is also a good factor to look for, wandering around town you'll be in and out of snow, slush, and some areas might be treated with salt. So you'll have tide marks on your shoes, but try to keep your toes nice and dry.

If you are concerned about traction you can add more, e.g. Yaktraks are elasticised over-shoe slip-ons that look a little like metal springs that you can put on and take off as you go from indoors to outdoors.

My current challenge is to find shoes that are good to walk around town in, but are also good for dancing! Too much traction and the movement on the dance floor is limited, too little and the movement on the streets is exaggerated.

Me, I wear heels at night, low wedges or small heels are fine if you're not walking far.

Clarice

Diva in Training
I should have been clearer, I meant for going for dinner / drinks in the evening. I have a pair of boots something like these Hilfiger ones in Brown but it's not easy to incorporate them into my wardrobe. I'm going to feel like I've left the house in my slippers...

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, it depends on what you're talking about. For immediately post ski I have a pair of heavy duty Merrells that do the job. But I do wear my high heeled (yes stiletto) boots if I'm going out for a nicer dinner at night in Vail. But I'm crazy like that.

Robyn,

Count me crazy as well. I have a bunch of stilettos and I were them (occasionally) here in Telluride. Given how icy our streets and sidewalks are here during the winter however, I also use YakTrax on my shoes most of the time. Now, if they could only make YakTrax for stilettos, I'd be golden...

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My idea of apres ski is usually dinner at the condo/hotel/local brewery and then early to bed, so I usually just bring my beat up old merrell slip on shoes.

I wouldn't think a wedge heel would be too bad to walk around town in though... something like these, which are flatter would be downright cute!

https://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/47110429/c/3.html

Jilly

Staff member
I usually wear my Salomon winter hiking shoes. But for New Years eve I'm wearing short boots with heels. Also the boots are a little too big so I can get an extra pair of socks for warnth. It can be d@#n cold then at Tremblant.

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah - I guess I think of apres-ski as hitting the bar while still in my ski clothes, just changed out of the boots. In which case I have a pair of Baffin boots that come out on powder days or some Merrell clogs for regular days.

So that's totally different (IMHO) than actually going to get dressed up to go out for the night - where heels would be a lot more appropriate - of course how high and difficult to walk in probably depends on where I'm going and how much walking is involved and all of that...

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found from 4 years of living in Syracuse during the winter that stilettos are actually great in the snow and ice! The point heels provide excellent traction.:laugh:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I wear these ALL THE TIME during the winter here in Vermont. It's unusual when I don't. They're Salomon snow clogs. Between the snow, ice, and mud, there's really very little choice. They're not very stylish, but they get the job done:

1396-647998-t.jpg

And yes, I use the YakTrax, too. I fell three times on the ice last winter before I got them, and they really help.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And yes, I use the YakTrax, too. I fell three times on the ice last winter before I got them, and they really help.

I broke my wrist two winters ago falling on a really snowy night while trying to help someone who crashed their car...I now swear by my YakTrax.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bandolino Erina. I bought them at the end of last winter. I was unsure of the "almond" shaped toe but really like it. It gives some of the delicacy of a pointy toe without the pointy uncomfy stuff. :D

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I know .... it's so Paris Hilton of me ... but I heart my UGGs and I would die for some furry ULUs:

uluak-w_0.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna