• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. PowderNomad

Question: Whats your set up? AT/ Backcountry

@WaterGirl, I think my Sambas are the 14/15 model (but I don't think Blizzard changed the Sambas except for topsheets between 2013 to 2016, or at least they didn't change until 2016/17 according to https://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/new-and-updated-skis-for-2016-2017. My Sambas do have...
  2. PowderNomad

Question: Whats your set up? AT/ Backcountry

Hi @WaterGirl, I ski mostly in the backcountry and have low volume and somewhat narrow feet. My current boot is the Dynafit Mercury (discontinued now but other Dynafit offerings are similar). I believe the last is either 98mm or 102mm (reports online are inconsistent). I also still have a...
  3. PowderNomad

Amazing article on women's gear and the attitude of "make it pink"

Thanks! Very helpful. I always end up adding those L-bracket things around my ankles as my liners pack out. They kinda help although they push your foot/ankle forward a bit too much at first. The tongue shim is an interesting idea although it might limit my range of motion in touring mode...
  4. PowderNomad

Question: Best Ski Bag for air travel?

Huh. I just looked up the specs and you are right about the denier. Attached are pictures of the damage to my DB bag. The main cut is along the zipper (a weak point -- and tricky to fix although I patched it with repair tape on the inside and some sealant on the outside). The other two spots...
  5. PowderNomad

Amazing article on women's gear and the attitude of "make it pink"

Great article. I am 5'8", wear a 26.5 boot, and am a fairly aggressive skier, so I've generally used men's skis and boots (although I did have a pair or K2 PhatLuvs for a few seasons that I loved and perhaps this article helps explain why!). But I found myself nodding in agreement as I read...
  6. PowderNomad

Question: Best Ski Bag for air travel?

I have the DB for two pairs of skis. The design is brilliant and it's much more maneuverable than other wheeled ski bags. It's drawbacks are: 1) The handle on the end where the bag rolls down to adjust is attached via four metal S-shaped pieces that slide into loops on the bag. These can...
  7. PowderNomad

Help Needed: Airline Lost Ski Bag: Need Patagonia Super Alpine Bibs & Arcteryx Beta AR Jacket!

Thanks, guys. Just spoke to JAL and still nothing. My bag has mysteriously disappeared with no record after check in. :confused: In today's world with computerized luggage tag scanning and security checks that bags loaded match passengers, I don't understand how this can happen.
  8. PowderNomad

Help Needed: Airline Lost Ski Bag: Need Patagonia Super Alpine Bibs & Arcteryx Beta AR Jacket!

The airline lost my ski bag on a trip to Japan and it appears to be lost lost (I'm on day 3 with no info on its location). Which is brutal in a lot of ways -- goodbye custom GPO's and Romp skis -- but also in that new ski gear is stupid expensive if you're trying to buy stuff the week before...
  9. PowderNomad

What are you most looking forward to in the '16/'17 season?

I'm looking forward to skiing in Hakuba, Japan again starting in December. Hoping they get more snow this year. I can't wait to eat sushi, karaage (fried chicken bits), as well as delicious ramen.
  10. PowderNomad

Wait, what??? They replaced the Blackfoot lift with a faster one? I loved getting to rest on the old, slow double between runs down the northern boundary . . . . My thighs are not going to like this next time I'm back to GT!
  11. PowderNomad

@NZfarmgirl I'm so sorry to hear about your knee! Being injured really sucks. I've been struggling with a neck injury from mountain biking, which has made most physical activity less enjoyable for the last few months. I've only skied a few days of this NZ ski season. Your injury sounds way...
  12. PowderNomad

The perils of snow addiction

Hah! Kiwis make the best advertisements!
  13. PowderNomad

On-snow review: Atomic Vantage 95C Womens

@meganh -- Helpful and detailed review. I skied the K2 Phat Luv 167 at the NZ club fields last season and was not generally very happy with them, leading me to buy Blizzard Sambas for this ski season. I found the Phat Luv's deflected too much in chopped up, heavy powder and other "NZ...
  14. PowderNomad

Real world reviews of Blizzard Sheeva?

Welcome @DRG ! I concur with @contesstant and others here about Blizzard's flipcore construction. I have been skiing the Blizzard Sambas (98mm underfoot compared to the Sheevas at 102mm) for the last month here in NZ and am in love with them. The Sambas are the first ski that has truly...
  15. PowderNomad

Advice on backcountry gear

Not yet, sadly. NZ customs finally released all our gear only yesterday! I hope to ski them much of next week, and I'll report back once I have tested them in a variety of conditions.
  16. PowderNomad

Ski care question

I wax skis myself, but also leave edge work to the pros (or to other experienced ski bums who accept beer as payment). I do put storage wax on my skis whenever they won't be used for a few months. I wax my skis a lot less than I should in the dead of winter and only tend to wax them when I...
  17. PowderNomad

@MissySki, I'm excited about the Sambas too! They're currently on a container ship heading toward NZ -- hoping they make it there in time to ski them on my first day back on the slopes there! As for the BC, you've taken the first step by getting a beacon and planning to take the Avy 1 class...
  18. PowderNomad

What gear made ski life easier this year and/or which was useless?

Winners: 1. Free the Powder Mittens: Bought these given the drawbacks of the Astis (discussed below). Only wore them a few times so far in the Tetons in March but they were great. I plan to take them to NZ this year. 2. MHM 32L Powderkeg pack: I needed a larger ski pack and used this one...
  19. PowderNomad

Hi MissySki. I was in your position about 5 years ago but now have spent many days in the backcountry. Here are my thoughts as you start looking at BC gear: Beacons -- I used a BCA Tracker for years and recently upgraded to a Mammut Pulse. Debated between the Mammut Pulse, Mammut Element...
  20. PowderNomad

Waterproof pants... wet butt!

Wow, never heard of Hot Buns. I also have cold buns (although my gore-tex bibs keep me dry) and will check this out. As for waterproofing, the two-step treatment from Nikwax (tech wash and then Tx.Direct spray on) has worked well for me to "refresh" old gear.