• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Waterproof pants... wet butt!

abc

Banned
OK, I've got a pair of ski pants that are supposed to be waterproof. I distinctly recall it was waterproof when it was new (few years back). Then one day, I noticed my butt got wet from the melted snow on the chair...

I tried washing it with the TechWash thing by following the instructions. It didn't seem to do the trick, unfortunately.

I can think of 3 possibilities:

1) I didn't do the tech wash thingy right? On the other hand, my jacket got its waterproofness nicely "refreshed" with the same wash routine.

2) There are better "stuff" that can restore the water repellent property of the fabric?

3) The waterproofing on that pants are just too thin or too cheap, and I've managed to "work" through that layer so it's now not save-able?

After all, I sat on the darn thing every half an hour of skiing (chair ride). So a few seasons of 30-40 days adds up to a good number of hours of the butt part of the pants being rubbed the wrong way...:wink:

Is the pants done?

(My jackets, despite being used with even more frequency given I also wear it to work in the winter, seems to be still in reasonable waterproofness -- but it also cost 3 times as much!)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you use a spray-on water proofing after washing?

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you dry them in the dryer? Many waterproof fabrics need to be dried with heat to sort of reactivate the treatment.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Agree with trying the spray-on.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There used to be another treatment by the same company as Tech Wash, that focused on the water proofing. I've used it, but have also used Tech Wash alone. It could be the pants are done. I'd check up on the brand to see what others say about that problem. Save them for sunny days?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
-You have to use the two step process (tech wash type product with DWR renew type product)
-The tech wash prepares the DWR to adhere to the fabric and must be activated in the dryer.
- If your item is dirty/grimy not getting very clean with tech wash, wash in detergent and then rinse 3x, then do tech wash/dwr.
- There is a product life time to wpb fabrics staying waterproof.
-The seat of the pants is prone to more soak through because of added butt pressure (for lack of a better term) with the water and chairlift seat, for example. Why do you think so many of us that live in heavy wet snow areas ski with a butt flap?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've given up on worrying about waterproofing the butt area and now just make sure the thigh area is well treated. I never ski without my Hot Buns on wet/snowy days, now. Yay for dry, toasty butt!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been using something similar to Hot Buns for a few seasons. Definitely helps keep dry when it's snowing or there is still snow on chair lifts from the night before. Also provide an extra layer for warmth when it's cold. One of the items that I never put in checked luggage when I fly because I don't want to lose it.

Jilly

Staff member
Mine is home made....maybe GG needs to make about 100! I bought mine at Big Mountain Montana (aka Whitefish)

Jilly

Staff member
Mine's got fuzzy fake fur on the inside, but either cordura or nylon on the outside, can't remember. 1 1/2" elastic with a velcro closure. DH's was made by ski doo and more like that one except it went inside the pants and had legs attachments to hold it in place.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine are like the Tail-gaiter, but they're called Hot Buns.

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, never heard of Hot Buns. I also have cold buns (although my gore-tex bibs keep me dry) and will check this out.

As for waterproofing, the two-step treatment from Nikwax (tech wash and then Tx.Direct spray on) has worked well for me to "refresh" old gear.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga