• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

On-snow review: Atomic Vantage 95C Womens

meganh

Diva in Training
After deciding a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to reduce my three-ski quiver and find a good all rounder, I have spent two days this week in very different conditions demoing the Atomic Vantage 95. We have just hit spring, and I had the opportunity to ski this ski in very different conditions and give it a good test. The rest of my quiver for comparison is Nordica Conquer 162 (84mm underfoot, fairly stiff), ancient (2004) Dynastar Little Big Fat 167 (88mm underfoot, big turn radius) and K2 Phat Luv 167 (102 underfoot). I demoed the Atomic in the 162cm length, hiring it for the full day as none of the industry was still doing demo days for Atomics this late in the season.

I am an advanced skier, 74-ish kg, 167cm (5'6") and normally ski one of our club-run ski areas where off piste snow is the norm. We have varying terrain but it is generally fairly steep and mostly ungroomed. There are two runs that we do groom but the rest of the ski area is natural snow. Conditions can vary from hard and icy (if the freezing level gets too high and we get rained on, or freeze/thaw in spring), to 'skier groomed' packed powder, to crud, chopped up powder, and if I'm lucky, powder - although not generally by North American standards, we do get light and dry but deep dumps are few and far between particularly the last few seasons. 10-15cm is more the norm for us rather than waist deep! So I'm after a ski that can do it all and handle most of these conditions, and I think I've found it.

Day 1: Porters (www.skiporters.co.nz). Conditions: strong southerly winds (read northerly for you northern hemisphere readers). Groomed slopes under the chairlift (nice corduroy to begin with), off piste was mostly wind scoured hard/icy patches with the odd area of windblown snow. Due to the wind the softening promised on the snow report never occurred and it remained hard (and cold) all day. I ended up wearing my down jacket that I bought for a Canada ski trip that I never need to use in New Zealand.

I spent the morning mostly skiing the groomed run off the chairlift and was impressed with these skis. When you stood on them they gripped and carved well. I was able to comfortably do a range of turns from short to long, and at speed (for me, I'm not an aggressive skier) they were stable. Off piste, they were reasonably OK in the hard snow, not too bad in the bumps - more my technique than anything and I felt I would have skied no better on anything else.

As an interesting comparison, there was a Volkl demo day on, so I traded these in for a pair of Volkl Kenja in 163. I did two runs on these. On the groomers they were OK. They tried to run away with me at one point on a cat track between T bars and I wasn't so impressed with them off piste although I felt they handled the bumps better than the atomics (although 90mm vs 95mm might have made the difference here?). After two runs the inside of my left knee was twinging, telling me it didn't like the Volkls. I took back the Atomics and no more twinges.

I finished the day impressed with the Vantages and wishing I had had some soft snow to try them on.

The following day I skied at my regular ski area, Broken River (www.brokenriver.co.nz), where conditions were completely different. The snow hadn't been stripped by the wind as it had at Porters on the other end of the range, and conditions varied from skier groomed packed powder to semi-tracked powder in Allans Basin (the attached image shows part of Allans) . I skied on the K2 Phat Luvs and found them hard work, they felt like a lot of ski after the Atomics. So that afternoon after skiing I drove back to the shop and got the Atomics again for another day's rental.

Day 2: Today I skied the Atomics at Broken River, on conditions varying from packed powder, some moderate bumps, to powder where previous tracks had been blown in by the wind, about 10cm over a firm base underneath. Other areas had chopped powder, and it was on all day if you wanted it. A fantastic bluebird day in the mountains, and only about 12 of us at the ski area including the staff! These skis were amazing. I skied runs that I hadn't felt game to try this season (Cornice Bowl), and enjoyed it. They were easy to initiate turns, did not feel like they were going to get caught up in the heavier chopped up snow, and felt like they were very forgiving if I did get my body position a bit wrong (unlike the Volkl Kenjas!). My only gripe was that with the next warm storm cycle rolling in, it warmed up a few degrees after 3pm and the snow went really sticky on sunny aspects and flatter areas - but I think the demos just needed a wax, and everybody was feeling it! Fortunately I'd pretty much worn myself out by then.

I had an absolute blast and fell in love with them. Given that they were on sale, when I took the demos back to the shop, I bought my own pair! I carried both the demo skis and my Phat Luvs down from the ski shed to the car (about a ten minute walk, downhill, so my pack was VERY heavy!!), so I could have the shop take the nice light Marker Squire bindings off the Phat Luvs and mount them onto the new skis. The Atomics with the Squire bindings seem fairly light, if anyone wants to know the exact weight let me know in the thread as I can weigh them. The rest of the quiver will be for sale on our version of ebay soon.....

PS: we had a guy from Michigan at Broken River for a couple of days, I skied with him for a few runs and showed him around today, he was absolutely blown away and loved it. If you ever come to New Zealand in winter, come and check out our club-run ski area - we'd love to see SkiDivas!

IMGP3020.JPG

Allans Basin, Broken River Ski Area. Today I skied Cornice Bowl, in mid shot (with the powder 8's courtesy of ski patrol - just checking the stability, yeah right), and Double Bowl, to the right. Both were really nice with windblown dry winter snow. Cornice is on my limit of comfort for steepness and there is quite a big cornice at the top this year with about a 3ft drop in places, so after much fannying about finding a spot to drop in that didn't involve too much drop, it actually skied quite nicely. Another positive for the Atomics!!

As an aside, this photo was taken Sept 4th, 2010, the day of the first Christchurch Earthquake at about 4am. It shook us from our beds in the lodges up at the ski area, and was one of the best powder days of the season. Due to the earthquake, there were about 30-40 at the ski area to ski all of this fantastic powder. One of my best days skiing!! The damage at home (mostly collapsed brick chimneys) could wait!!

Last edited:

meganh

Diva in Training
Today's conditions in the Main Basin. Loved the Atomic Vantage in this stuff!BR Main Basin 9 Sept 2015.JPG

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the review, I've also been demoing the Vantage this season in Queenstown where it's been a popular ski. I came close to buying it but settled on the Dynastar Cham 97. I think I would have been very happy with the Atomic Also but was enjoying the Cham's radius and turning style more. I think the vantage is a good choice for someone looking for a strong all mountain ski.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Great review! Thanks for posting. I really liked this ski despite its too-long length (170) for my 51 kg - good to read that its larger spectrum performance is as good as I'd hoped, given the short time I used them. A real winner for Atomic.

BeSki

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for posting! You are confirming what I have read about the Vantage. Interesting that you found the
Kenjas to be hard on your knees. I noticed that too, with my former Kenjas....great ski, but noticeable leg workout compared to say, Black Pearls or Wild Belles. I am looking to replace the Black Pearls and/or the Wild Belles with something similar, but a little stiffer, that is also nimble and fun. I was hoping that the new Kenjas with the rockered tail would be it. I wonder if the Vantage would fill that niche for me!? I really want to demo this ski :smile:

PowderNomad

Certified Ski Diva
@meganh -- Helpful and detailed review. I skied the K2 Phat Luv 167 at the NZ club fields last season and was not generally very happy with them, leading me to buy Blizzard Sambas for this ski season. I found the Phat Luv's deflected too much in chopped up, heavy powder and other "NZ variable" snow so I got bounced around a lot making it hard work. I considered the Volkl Kenjas, Atomic Vantages, and a few other skis of similar dimensions before buying the Sambas. Glad you found something you love!

DH and I live in Castle Hill during the NZ ski season, and Broken River is our favorite club field when we're not in the backcountry. We should meet up!

Thank you for the detailed review. The Atomic Vantage CW is definitely on my demo list for our upcoming season. I would love more thoughts on the new Kenja as well.

What's the men's equivalent of this ski and is the construction the same? I know with the Elysian/Theory the construction was the same and just the top sheet was different. Was wondering if the new atomic was the same way?

meganh

Diva in Training
@meganh -- Helpful and detailed review. I skied the K2 Phat Luv 167 at the NZ club fields last season and was not generally very happy with them, leading me to buy Blizzard Sambas for this ski season. I found the Phat Luv's deflected too much in chopped up, heavy powder and other "NZ variable" snow so I got bounced around a lot making it hard work. I considered the Volkl Kenjas, Atomic Vantages, and a few other skis of similar dimensions before buying the Sambas. Glad you found something you love!

DH and I live in Castle Hill during the NZ ski season, and Broken River is our favorite club field when we're not in the backcountry. We should meet up!

Were you at BR on Saturday? Victoria??

meganh

Diva in Training
I skied at Broken River on Saturday, with 10-15cm of fresh over a firm base, with a few places where I didn't hit the bottom - not used to that at all, it's not that common here and usually happens on days when I'm not able to ski!! This was my own pair mounted up with the Squires. The first few runs on fresh/a few tracks were a bit tricky, I felt a bit backseat and was hoping my bindings had been mounted correctly. After I got into it and got used to the conditions this seemed to come right and I had a great day's skiing. Still loving them in deeper snow, the Phat Luvs are officially retired!!

The Vantages with Marker Squires are nice and light to carry, I did not find it difficult on the ten minute uphill walk to the first tow (apart from having been to lazy to strap them to my pack so had to deal with the awkwardness of shoulder-carry). I weighed them and cannot remember the exact weight but it was somewhere around 4.5kg for the pair.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have any other Divas tried this skis/own these skis? I am looking to replace my Sambas with something on the more "finesse" side of the equation. Something that I will ski 90% of the time here in Utah that will give me confidence off-piste in ANY conditions I may come across.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked the 95 Vantage.. they were light, easy cruisers and good in the Powder.. I think you would like them.. see if any around to demo.. I'll go find my 'cheat' sheets from last years demo days. there were 3 Vantage that I tried the 95's were my favs.. The Lines were also VERY nice. I tried the 100's.. light, easy turning.. if you can demo some "line" skis think you'd like them too.. :-) I'm almost out there.....

What were the improvements/changes from the elysian? Is it stiffer?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never skied the elysian.. I don't like stiff skis.. so to me they were nimble and light.. not too much metal in them they are Beefier than my Black Pearls.. I'm looking for a fatter ski to take west. I have the BP's but they are not sturdy enough in over 8" of snow ( a problem I hope I soon have)

Awesome. The elysian is light, fun and very turney. Did I mention fun. Would love to hear your feedback on the 95c

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never skied the elysian.. I don't like stiff skis.. so to me they were nimble and light.. not too much metal in them they are Beefier than my Black Pearls.. I'm looking for a fatter ski to take west. I have the BP's but they are not sturdy enough in over 8" of snow ( a problem I hope I soon have)

See, I think I want a bit beefier than the BP's but not as beefy as the Sambas. Hard to find Atomic demos around here, which seems silly considering they have one of their U.S. headquarters right here in Ogden.
Shop today also recommended the Salomon Lumen. I KNOW I can pick those up cheap used.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked the 95 Vantage.. they were light, easy cruisers and good in the Powder.. I think you would like them.. see if any around to demo.. I'll go find my 'cheat' sheets from last years demo days. there were 3 Vantage that I tried the 95's were my favs.. The Lines were also VERY nice. I tried the 100's.. light, easy turning.. if you can demo some "line" skis think you'd like them too.. :-) I'm almost out there.....
Keep an eye on Wasatchsnowforecast. You might get VERY lucky the last part of your trip...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'd like the Vantage.. they aren't as beefy as the Samba's... wondering do they have line skis for you to try.. they were my runner up to BP's but beefier not as stiff as sambas.. now I want the Vantage.. I'll be in town in the AM.... are you sure you can't sneak up to SV?? I know I"m being wishfull..

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'd like the Vantage.. they aren't as beefy as the Samba's... wondering do they have line skis for you to try.. they were my runner up to BP's but beefier not as stiff as sambas.. now I want the Vantage.. I'll be in town in the AM.... are you sure you can't sneak up to SV?? I know I"m being wishfull..
If I had no childcare issues, I'd be there in a heartbeat! Expect zoomer groomers for the bulk of this week, then looks like a trough setting up, which is GOOD!

No Line skis that I'm aware of. I skied the Salomon Lumen yesterday and they were way too short, scared me! I'm afraid the smoothness of the Sambas has spoiled me. I want them at 90 under foot...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga