• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2022-23, conditions and latest upgrades at TSV

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow, Ski Santa Fe is really racking it up! I would have thought it would be the other way around with Taos.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Wow, Ski Santa Fe is really racking it up! I would have thought it would be the other way around with Taos.
I know -- it's amazing! May be a record for Ski SantaFe!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm sitting here looking at the snow coming down (hard) in Taos (town) -- looks to be around 3-4" on the ground now, and that last inch happened in about 20 min! Not sure of the roads have been plowed yet.
Also watching the TSV cams -- it's a whiteout on the mtn, been watching the Ski Patrol working on the trails:
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 7.47.41 AM.png
This is the Highline Trail.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 7.53.32 AM.png
Here's the Base area.
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 7.54.48 AM.png
Plowing around the Plaza
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 8.13.09 AM.png
List 1 looks like it's surrounded by a huge drift, but the 'boarders are already lining up

Not sure I'm going to be able to make it to the mountain today -- probably could, but not sure I want to try. Guess I'll wait and see how it looks a bit later -- may just have to wait for tomorrow's sunshine!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Sooo, I did decide to head to the mountain today; left the condo around 10, got to TSV by around 10:45. The road up was again plowed and sanded nicely, and the snow had ended in town, but when I got to about 1/4 mi from the TSV sign, at about 9100', I hit the storm. It was still snowing hard up there, although not windy at all. The parking lot was as full as I've ever seen it, and I had to park all the way at the end of Ocean Blvd, which is farther than I've ever had to park. They had gotten over 19" already by the time I got there, and this snow was absolute fluff! I skied for about 2 hrs, but visibility just kept getting worse, and my last run I could barely see, so I decided to live to ski another day (tomorrow :wink:).

As with yesterday, they only had the front side open, and although the snow was really fluffy, it was so hard to see the trail that you basically had to ski as though you were skiing bumps, because everywhere had been bumped up. The catwalks were the worst, though, because they had so many snow "lumps" pushed up that they were like washboards, and your skis kept dropping out from under you, to add to the lack of visibilty, so it was very unpleasant, and dangerous. I did run into Erik Nelson, from SkiTalk, on my last lift ride, and we skied down together. He's a very nice guy -- we're going to meet up tomorrow AM to ski together.

PS. It was 3° up there today -- but I wasn't cold. Working too hard, I guess.

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Screen shot off the webcam at 7:45 AM -- Highline trail:
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.42.07 AM.png
27" from the storm! It's -16° at the base right now, luckily no wind. I put on an extra layer!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Santa Fe was the clear winner for the last storm cycle. But Taos was able to pass the "magic" number for base depth that many regulars are happy to see. The target is 75 inches, although Kachina Peak and other steep terrain off the Ridge can open with a bit less.

From OpenSnow on Feb. 16

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 11.44.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 11.48.22 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like for people willing to do "around the world" on Feb. 16, it's possible to ski down from the top of Lift 2 on Honeysuckle to Totemoff to Winklereid, then must take Rubezahl cat track back to the main base. The short blacks on the back side, Moe's and Street Car, are also showing as open on the website.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Looks like for people willing to do "around the world" on Feb. 16, it's possible to ski down from the top of Lift 2 on Honeysuckle to Totemoff to Winklereid, then must take Rubezahl cat track back to the main base. The short blacks on the back side, Moe's and Street Car, are also showing as open on the website.
Actually, they opened Lift 4 by around Noon, so all lists were open this afternoon. It was pretty awesome; although the actual temp never got above 9° (at about 3 PM), there was virtually no wind, so I never felt cold at all. It did start snowing a little in the afternoon, as a cloud descended into the ski area, but it was very light. Maxie's was really great -- they allowed it to bump up, so it was total bumps, with all the different pitches.
IMG_2514.jpeg
Maxie's, with Upper Totemoff on the left

Some bump trails were still in "proto-bump" stage -- the deep powder had been skied in and broken up, but real bumps hadn't yet formed, and the powder was so deep that pole plants were useless, so you basically had to make powder turns around the "proto-bumps".
IMG_2526.jpeg
Giant, fluffy "proto-bumps" on Shalako

So far, Lonestar has been closed:
IMG_2504.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Actually, they opened Lift 4 by around Noon, so all lists were open this afternoon. It was pretty awesome; although the actual temp never got above 9° (at about 3 PM), there was virtually no wind, so I never felt cold at all. It did start snowing a little in the afternoon, as a cloud descended into the ski area, but it was very light. Maxie's was really great -- they allowed it to bump up, so it was total bumps, with all the different pitches.
Have yet to decide if the Lift Status info on the website and Taos app is worth much.

Sounds like a wonderful day! Thanks for the pics.

I've skied Maxi's when it was fresh snow on top of a groomed surface a foot or so down. Great fun! If it doesn't get groomed for the next few weeks, could be a really good intermediate bump run. With a bail out to Totemoff possible part of the way down, that means don't even really need to groom a strip down one side.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Have yet to decide if the Lift Status info on the website and Taos app is worth much.

Sounds like a wonderful day! Thanks for the pics.

I've skied Maxi's when it was fresh snow on top of a groomed surface a foot or so down. Great fun! If it doesn't get groomed for the next few weeks, could be a really good intermediate bump run. With a bail out to Totemoff possible part of the way down, that means don't even really need to groom a strip down one side.
It was -- I skied til I was ready to drop, LOL. My last run was White Feather Gully, and there were some instructors in there with classes. I was so proud of myself to note that I was one of those people just cruising down the bumps around the classes. :yahoo:

Will go again tomorrow -- it should be a few degrees warmer, lol -- and hopefully will still have great powder runs. Then Sat-Sun is Pres Day weekend, so will stay away until at least Mon or Tues. The great news is that there's more snow coming next Wed-Fri, and then again possibly on the first Sunday of Women's Wk, so the damage done this WE will hopefully be covered-up.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Will go again tomorrow -- it should be a few degrees warmer, lol -- and hopefully will still have great powder runs. Then Sat-Sun is Pres Day weekend, so will stay away until at least Mon or Tues. The great news is that there's more snow coming next Wed-Fri, and then again possibly on the first Sunday of Women's Wk, so the damage done this WE will hopefully be covered-up.
My guess is that even Monday won't be that busy. Local powder hounds will be waiting for the next storm system. Long weekend folks may be gone after lunch.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
From what I can see, they're pretty worthless. This morning, for example, they listed Lift 1 as open but White Feather and other runs on the front side as closed :frusty:

marzNC

Angel Diva
From OpenSnow on Feb. 20. The base depth at the Top of 7 is 69 inches, and 60 inches at mid-Shalako (near the top of Lift 4 and the base of the Kachina Lift). Probably going to be pretty windy in the next week or two.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 11.30.03 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like there may be some snowflakes in the air during the Women's Ski Week ski-off on Sunday, Feb. 26. Will be windy next week for sure.

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 9.32.41 AM.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
I brought my Blaze 86 home from Maine yesterday to bring to Taos, as I am really liking them in bumps. I hope I don't regret not bringing the Sheeva 9 if there is a bit of snow coming while we are there! :bounce:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna