• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2022-23, conditions and latest upgrades at TSV

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Lonestar (blue bumps all the way across) has opened at TSV. The only black run not open yet on the front side is Lower Inferno. The snow depth at the Top of 7 is 46" as of Jan. 7.
They were blowing snow like mad onto Lonestar and Totemoff when I was there before Christmas. Never saw them blow snow during the day before.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They were blowing snow like mad onto Lonestar and Totemoff when I was there before Christmas. Never saw them blow snow during the day before.
Resorts in the big mountains out west have learned what snowmakers in the southeast have known for decades. It's really important to build up as much base as possible during early season. Even if that means having snowguns on during the day when guests are skiing. Once the base is deep enough, then it's possible to withstand a warm spell that is sure to happen in January or February. A deep base made of snowgun snow also tends to last longer during late season.

One reason I appreciated having a helmet back 15+ years ago was that it was a lot better when skiing under working snowguns.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They were making snow on Baby bear today. Groomed runs are alright but still not enough snow on the rest of the mountain. Hopefully this week’s storm will bring us enough snow to make a difference.

Lonestar wasn’t opened when I passed by this morning. It wasn’t an all bump run as of last season. Someone decided to groom both sides and only have bumps in the middle. It will be interesting to see what they do to it this season.

Sad to see this today...

D2BB8F5F-2B34-4384-AA3E-11B8538100F7.jpeg

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
They were making snow on Baby bear today. Groomed runs are alright but still not enough snow on the rest of the mountain. Hopefully this week’s storm will bring us enough snow to make a difference.

Sad to see this today...

View attachment 19990
I know, noticed that (or actually, almost didn't notice it!) when I was there a couple wks ago. The spot just sort of blends into the background...:cry:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lonestar (blue bumps all the way across) has opened at TSV. The only black run not open yet on the front side is Lower Inferno. The snow depth at the Top of 7 is 46" as of Jan. 7.
Lonestar will be the new terrain park at TSV so no more dedicated intermediate bumps.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Lonestar will be the new terrain park at TSV so no more dedicated intermediate bumps.
Seriously?! Nooooo! I thought that sign was just directing skiers down to a terrain park below Lonestar!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seriously?! Nooooo! I thought that sign was just directing skiers down to a terrain park below Lonestar!
It was closed today as they were making snow on Lonestar but I saw a terrain park feature right below the entrance. I will take a better look tomorrow!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know instructors who used the Lonestar bumps to teach how to ski "nasty" bumps.

What's happening with Maxi's?
I remember Miles taking me in there a decade ago to learn to ski bumps, the size of VW beetle!
As of the last few days, the top part of Maxie’s was just crud and there were some bumps at the very bottom close to Chair 7. They were making snow in that section today so the bumps are now gone.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In early Feb 2018 when there was very little snow, TSV hadn't bothered to build any park features in Maxi's. After a 9-12 inch snowfall midweek, that made Maxi's the bump run where the afternoon instructor posse was skiing. They would start with Moe's. I skied a few runs with them one afternoon after soft medium-sized bumps had formed. Probably hard to see in the photo, but my memory of the experience is very clear.

Powder bumps on Moe's, Feb 2018
TSV Moe's powder Feb2018 - 1.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking good for next week at Taos! :snow:

From OpenSnow on Jan. 15:

"Summary

A 4-day storm cycle is beginning from Sunday through Wednesday. The first storm will bring 4-12+" on Sunday through Monday morning and the second storm 4-10+" late Tuesday into Wednesday. On-and-off snow showers between the two storms on Monday and Tuesday could keep conditions soft throughout the 4-days. Strong winds will be an issue throughout the cycle.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Amazing what a difference a week can make! I've heard 75 inches is a depth that Taos regulars and locals want to see, although not sure which location they watch. In any case, the amount of open terrain increased noticeably with the latest storms. There will be a few more inches before I and a group of friends get to Taos in late January.

The OpenSnow forecaster for Taos and NM, Julien Ross, had 9-15 inches as his forecast for the first storms. Turned out that conditions favored Taos and the end result was 16 inches.

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 8.03.48 AM.png

OpenSnow extract, Friday morning, January 20
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 8.14.32 AM.png
OpenSnow extract, Wednesday, January 19

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 8.20.50 AM.png

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yes, it also looks like there's a bit more snow in the forecast for Sunday - Tues before we arrive,, then a stretch of Bluebird days for our Ski Weeks, unless a surprise storm pops up. :ski:

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
tempImage4aHBSm.jpgtempImagejHZgIG.jpg

I'm at Taos right now -- It's my first visit, and I've been here since Wednesday night. Thursday was a clear and beautiful day. I'd say it started snowing at about noon on Friday and it there were about 6 inches by 4 pm. It was more crowded today and the conditions are amazing especially given I came from the east coast.

Thursday morning I took a group lesson to get familiar with the mountain, and on Friday I had an all-day private lesson. That was a good thing -- we worked on bumps and powder which are challenging for me as someone who spends most of thier time at Wachusett and Killington. I've found I can pretty easily manage all of the blues which was a concern for me hearing how steep things would be. I've done some shorter blacks as well. The snow can't be more forgiving and I'm on Sheeva 9s, so that helps I'm sure.

One more day tomorrow before leaving on Monday.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
View attachment 20119View attachment 20121

I'm at Taos right now -- It's my first visit, and I've been here since Wednesday night. Thursday was a clear and beautiful day. I'd say it started snowing at about noon on Friday and it there were about 6 inches by 4 pm. It was more crowded today and the conditions are amazing especially given I came from the east coast.

Thursday morning I took a group lesson to get familiar with the mountain, and on Friday I had an all-day private lesson. That was a good thing -- we worked on bumps and powder which are challenging for me as someone who spends most of thier time at Wachusett and Killington. I've found I can pretty easily manage all of the blues which was a concern for me hearing how steep things would be. I've done some shorter blacks as well. The snow can't be more forgiving and I'm on Sheeva 9s, so that helps I'm sure.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Awesome photos! So glad you got to enjoy a powder day -- perhaps we have another TSV convert? :wink:
Remember, Diva West is coming up...

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it also looks like there's a bit more snow in the forecast for Sunday - Tues before we arrive,, then a stretch of Bluebird days for our Ski Weeks, unless a surprise storm pops up. :ski:
Yeah about that, not sure about bluebird days. But I am more that happy to ski some powder. Of course, this still pretty far out and could change. Forecasts more than a week out are notoriously unreliable.
1674358346803.png

marzNC

Angel Diva

Sounds like a great trip! A group lesson at TSV is a great deal.

Did you happen to see Deb Armstrong with a SkiStrong group? The first one for intermediate and advanced skiers (max 7) was set for Jan. 19-22.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly