• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2022-23, conditions and latest upgrades at TSV

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very different weather conditions between this morning and the afternoon on Sunday, Feb. 26. By noon the cold front was moving in and the winds were picking up. Snow started after 2pm. Not sure exactly when the lifts closed, but everything was all put away by 3:30. I wasn't watching the webcams for a couple hours as the temperatures continued to drop and the winds picked up. Gusts up top went over 60mph for a short period.

View attachment 20674View attachment 20672View attachment 20673
Where were you skiing today? It was sunny, warm and calm when I started at 9am, but the clouds and wind moved in early at around 10:30. The lighting got so flat we decided to call it a day. By the time I got to my car, it was already snowing or more like frozen rain and the wind was blowing crazy.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Where were you skiing today? It was sunny, warm and calm when I started at 9am, but the clouds and wind moved in early at around 10:30. The lighting got so flat we decided to call it a day. By the time I got to my car, it was already snowing or more like frozen rain and the wind was blowing crazy.
Different groups were in different places. I have no idea where we were; I just followed Irene.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
We were on the back side when it started snowing, around 11:15. We lapped Lift 4 a couple times, and by 11:45 it was coming down pretty hard, and getting windy, but at the base it was still calm. By the time I finished lunch, around 1:30, the storm had moved to the base area, was really coming down hard, and windy, so I left. Didn’t want to have a problem getting back to town!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not in Taos at all. That's why I have time to play with the TSV webcams. That's more fun on weekends when there are more people around. Especially for the Highland webcam. My next ski trip starts next week when I meet up with Bill in SLC.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The data that is gathered automatically by sensors for ski patrol use are available online. Found a URL somewhere on the TSV website. One of the graphs makes it easy to see when it was actively snowing in the past 24 hours. For Feb. 26, the snow in the afternoon stopped around 7pm. The red line is at Shalako, the blue line is at the top of Lift 7. TSV uses OpenSnow for the weather forecast. Another daytime snowstorm is expected on Wednesday.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 8.19.27 AM.png

Weather forecast on TSV Cams/Conditions webpage as of Feb. 27
Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 8.20.59 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's going to be a gorgeous day at TSV on Monday, Feb. 27! A few inches of fresh snow, blue skis, and seasonably cold temperatures. There will be plenty of windblown snow in the troughs of bumps.

Lift 1 started loading at 8:55. A few people got in line around 8:40. The line was gone 15 minutes later. By then there were a few people getting back in line after skiing Porcupine and/or White Feature from the top of Lift 1 as a warm up run. There were only two quad lines plus the singles line set up. Compared to four quad lines for the weekend.

Took 15-20 minutes for the first few people to get over to the base of Lift 4. They had to ride up Lift 1 and then Lift 2 to get over to the backside. Locals can do a "round the world" loop going back to the base of Lift 1 on Rubezahl in under 15 minutes in good conditions and visibility. I had an instructor who could do it in 11 minutes. He likes to go first thing in the morning to check out snow conditions based on a first-hand look before meeting up with his Ski Week group or private lesson student.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 10.41.03 AM.jpg

Grooming at base of Lift 4 at 8:45
Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 10.45.23 AM.jpg

Lift 1 started loading at 8:55
Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 10.55.02 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not in Taos at all. That's why I have time to play with the TSV webcams. That's more fun on weekends when there are more people around. Especially for the Highland webcam. My next ski trip starts next week when I meet up with Bill in SLC.
@marzNC Oh I thought you are here for Diva west and that’s why all the weather/trip updates!

Have fun in SLC!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC Oh I thought you are here for Diva west and that’s why all the weather/trip updates!

Have fun in SLC!
Since I was home on a weekend when friends were going to be skiing and starting up a Ski Week, it was fun to see what could be learned from the website and webcams. Especially with such changing weather. It was more than I thought for the webcams, which I didn't realize covered so much terrain with the user controls. TSV has better webcam coverage than most destination resorts. Updating lift status on the website and app is another story. Never bothered to look at the app when I'm actually at TSV.

SLC is only the first stop. Will be driving with Bill elsewhere after a few days.

When will you stop skiing TSV this season?

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
TSV is trying to encourage people to take a trip during the last weeks of the season. Has been announcing a sale for midweek lodging at the Blake for a few weeks. Not aimed at Ikon holders since lift tickets are included in the package.

The February Flash Sale ends TONIGHT at midnight.

Receive 30% off lodging at any of The Blake Properties AND $95 lift tickets ($65 youth tickets) when you stay midweek! Book before 2/28/23 and stay any time* through the end of the season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, the idea of staying open until April 9 hasn't worked out for Taos. A major water line leak in the Village of Taos has resulted in the resort having to be closed unexpectedly April 2, 3, and 4.

Here's what is posted on the Village website:
"April 2, 2023 8:30 am
An unfortunate private residence water service line leak, and then a second leak, have depleted the Village’s water system storage tanks. Water is available from the Phoenix Spring but is not able to pressurize the lines to the residences and now to the Village Core.

Public Works Crews continue to work non-stop to identify and isolate certain areas where excess water is being drained.

There is no identified timeline for correction of these problems at the moment."

There is a special webpage about the unexpected closure of the entire resort due to lack of potable water.

Part of the FAQ:
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 10.33.37 PM.png

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, the idea of staying open until April 9 hasn't worked out for Taos. A major water line leak in the Village of Taos has resulted in the resort having to be closed unexpectedly April 2, 3, and 4.

Here's what is posted on the Village website:
"April 2, 2023 8:30 am
An unfortunate private residence water service line leak, and then a second leak, have depleted the Village’s water system storage tanks. Water is available from the Phoenix Spring but is not able to pressurize the lines to the residences and now to the Village Core.

Public Works Crews continue to work non-stop to identify and isolate certain areas where excess water is being drained.

There is no identified timeline for correction of these problems at the moment."

There is a special webpage about the unexpected closure of the entire resort due to lack of potable water.

Part of the FAQ:
View attachment 21023
I received an automated text from Taos early this morning about this issue.

marzNC

Angel Diva
According to the special FAQ, TSV has been using every communication method possible to inform people about the resort shut down. Apparently even have had staff at the bottom of RT150 to alert people before they make the drive up the canyon.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Didn’t know they were closed until I was driving up the mountain on Sunday 4/2. They stationed someone at the road to stop cars and I almost didn’t see the woman when she ran out to the middle of the road to stop me. I didn’t think it was April Fool’s since I had one of my best day skiing on 4/1. It was beautiful on Sunday. Don’t know why photos are sideways. 6E1C10D2-14E2-4FD0-92B3-3B3E5DAB2656.jpeg959BE14F-9405-4D6D-B952-03B5C01C58FE.jpeg928D454A-E01C-48FA-A5BA-142388C51383.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly