• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I stopped in Target near Raleigh yesterday. No more signs about masks on the doors. Only a notice that the most "vulnerable" are invited to shop the first hour a couple days a week. All the employees were masked. So were most of the customers, but did see a few who weren't. NC dropped the mask mandate and capacity limits on May 14.

For a summary of re-opening plans for all states:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

As of May 23, only WY, NY, NJ don't have a plan. Meaning no date and no criteria. A few states are waiting until vaccination rate meet a target percentage. VT and MI will re-open completely in early July.
Surprised CA one of the few states masks still required. I still wear a bandana around my neck while outdoors ........ and pull it up when I feel the need. Think June 15 is the date when CA restrictions may end......

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PA has current capacity restrictions at 50% indoors and 75% outdoors. All capacity restrictions will be dropped on May 31st and mask requirement will be dropped when 70% of PA adults are fully vaccinated.

Responding to COVID-19 | PA.GOV

Even after I got my J&J vaccine I don't go many places, office and lab once a week, grocery store once a week and ballet class in studio 2X a week. Masks are required in all those places. I have not seen unmasked people indoors yet, I think it will be strange when I do. I know ballet/dance studio will not drop mask requirements until PA does it. I got an email from a local YMCA gym that has stated that vaccinated individuals don't have to wear a mask at the gym. I was considering to start going to the Y gym soon, but going to wait until 70% of people are vaccinated. I don't want to be around unmasked people in the gym even if they are all presumably vaccinated, but no one will be checking - it's an honors system. When vaccination rates reach to 70% of fully vaccinated my guess is that transmission rates will be low and going to gym will not be that much of an issue, maybe. I don't have an issue going to ballet classes because not we are always wearing masks, classes are small (5-6 students) and we are spaced out, I know everyone well and we are all vaccinated.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montana dropped all the requirements months ago. Whitefish was forced by the state to drop its mask mandate maybe a month back. No real surge yet, but it's still the off season. Only a 33% vaccination rate in this county so far.

newboots

Angel Diva
Montana dropped all the requirements months ago. Whitefish was forced by the state to drop its mask mandate maybe a month back. No real surge yet, but it's still the off season. Only a 33% vaccination rate in this county so far.

I am so sad that masking and vaccination became political issues. How many are unnecessarily risking their lives and the lives of countless others? Of course, some people can’t get the vaccine, but that can’t account for 66% unvaccinated in your state! The last thing these politicians should want is more surges and a shortage of ICE beds again.

Maybe more mad than sad. :frusty:

Jilly

Staff member
I like the idea of using vaccination milestones for easing restrictions, that makes a lot more sense than just randomly doing it.
That's Ontario's plan. They will allow things to open up Jun 12th if we reach a goal. Problem is getting shots into arms. When you don't have the stuff it's hard to do. Then every 3 weeks after we get something else. Hair cuts will be July 4th I think.

The government is also allowing those that got a first shot of AZ, to get a second shot. But it's not going to be used anymore as a first shot.

Christy

Angel Diva
That's Ontario's plan. They will allow things to open up Jun 12th if we reach a goal. Problem is getting shots into arms. When you don't have the stuff it's hard to do. Then every 3 weeks after we get something else. Hair cuts will be July 4th I think.

The government is also allowing those that got a first shot of AZ, to get a second shot. But it's not going to be used anymore as a first shot.

Hair salons haven't been open this whole time??

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I like the idea of using vaccination milestones for easing restrictions, that makes a lot more sense than just randomly doing it.
VT’s reopening plan has always been tied to hitting vaccination threshold goals with proposed dates based on projections of when they would hit those goals. We are hitting goals much faster than planned and, as a result, are reopening much faster too. Very logical if you ask me!

Jilly

Staff member
They closed March 2020, opened in June till December. Closed again at Christmas, opened in February. I got a late March cut and was supposed to get one the end of April, but closed again. Right now it's July before they can open again. I'm going back into my "Farrah" flip. I keep wondering if I made a time to swim in his pool, maybe a quick cut could happen??

What's really bad is that I felt safer at the salon, then in the crowd at Walmart. There was only Rob, me, the other stylist (owner really) and her client. Maybe 1 under a dryer, but not usually. The place is huge and could easily have 2 or 3 more stylist.

MissySki

Angel Diva
VT’s reopening plan has always been tied to hitting vaccination threshold goals with proposed dates based on projections of when they would hit those goals. We are hitting goals much faster than planned and, as a result, are reopening much faster too. Very logical if you ask me!

I thought this was a cool visual, took a screenshot from here: https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

We all seem pretty similar on a statewide level for the Northeast region of 1 dose vs fully vaccinated etc. So if we estimate ~20% of the remaining population are children.. it's really another 15% that we are apparently needing to get through to? How do we get those hold outs to come in?

1621879228990.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
I thought this was a cool visual, took a screenshot from here: https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

We all seem pretty similar on a statewide level for the Northeast region of 1 dose vs fully vaccinated etc. So if we estimate ~20% of the remaining population are children.. it's really another 15% that we are apparently needing to get through to? How do we get those hold outs to come in?

View attachment 15913
Pretty sure that the percentages given are of the adult population, based on some recent population estimate. Although the graphical displays are different, the data are all coming from CDC. Unlike in 2020 when there were multiple groups attempting to get a handle on case numbers for all states based on a variety of sources.

The bigger unknown if the goal is "herd immunity" is what percentage of a given population had COVID-19 in the past year that wasn't detected. On the radio this morning I heard someone say they preferred the term "community immunity" since people aren't generally referred to as "herds."

For instance, a state in the south with low vaccination rates could well be at about the same Community Immunity rate as a state with a high vaccination rate but had less community transmission in 2020 and the first few months of 2021.

I'm back to paying some attention to Percent Positive and Hospitalization numbers in states besides my home state. It's a good sign that the number of tests is holding pretty steady. Otherwise comparing Percent Positive over time would become somewhat meaningless in 2021.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Pretty sure that the percentages given are of the adult population, based on some recent population estimate. Although the graphical displays are different, the data are all coming from CDC. Unlike in 2020 when there were multiple groups attempting to get a handle on case numbers for all states based on a variety of sources.

Ah, are you saying they are already taking the children out of the percentages altogether and then the numbers reported are in fact from those eligible overall or? Since the eligibility keeps changing I have always assumed the percentages were based on overall state population, but I really have no idea what they are using now that you mention it. Those would be more discouraging numbers than how I'd been thinking of it.

Jenny

Angel Diva

View attachment 15913
I know this isn't the point, but the placement of states in this map is funny!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah, are you saying they are already taking the children out of the percentages altogether and then the numbers reported are in fact from those eligible overall or? Since the eligibility keeps changing I have always assumed the percentages were based on overall state population, but I really have no idea what they are using now that you mention it. Those would be more discouraging numbers than how I'd been thinking of it.
Not sure what is happening for 12-17 at this point, but I'm pretty sure the initial percentages before Pfizer was approved for younger children were based on adults 18+. Those are the people who could get vaccinated, not considering eligibility restrictions. Taking those into account wasn't worth the effort.

All epidemiological statistics are going to be somewhat fuzzy. I tend to automatically think of any real time percentage as plus-or-minus 2%. Data collection simply isn't that good for public health data. That means that for me, 51% or 52% or 53% are pretty much the same. But a state that is at 55% is clearly doing better than one at 50%.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Since the eligibility keeps changing I have always assumed the percentages were based on overall state population, but I really have no idea what they are using now that you mention it. Those would be more discouraging numbers than how I'd been thinking of it.

Understandable assumption, I assumed the same. Especially considering the headline description is "Percentage of state's population who have received vaccines according to most recent state data". You would think they would put "state's eligible population", "Over 16 population", an asterisk with a note or SOMETHING, if it were modified.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I know this isn't the point, but the placement of states in this map is funny!

It's like the periodic table of states. ME, NH, RI, CT, DE, DC, GA, FL are the 8 Noble States, AK is kind of in a class of it's own...

...aaaaand there's not a lot more I remember from chemistry class.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Given the MA dashboard it looks like the percentages are based on the total population here. Since they are breaking it out on a # basis you can clearly see the overall population is being accounted for versus the previous site only listing the %. These numbers do differ slightly from the website showing rates for all states so perhaps they are handling the numbers a little differently.131866C1-E6AF-4329-9745-57026AB7F7FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna