• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

Christy

Angel Diva
The NE is very impressive. I thought WA would be higher by now but that likely shows my immersion in my Seattle bubble. Isn't everywhere like us? No. No they aren't.

I love the maps the county puts out. This is by zip code. Seattle is the hourglass shape on the left; the suburbs across the lake to the east are the highest income burbs. Further south is more working class and east rural; those areas lag. My zip is at 89% while the zips to the west, east and south are in the 90s.

1622044005182.png

By congressional district, the area between Seattle and Tacoma really stands out. The county is knocking itself out trying to get people down there vaxxed, with all kinds of pop ups, working with people in the community, etc. I have to say my hackles go up when I see it. It doesn't seem like there is much excuse at this point.

Vashon Island, on the left, was a hotbed of anti-vax sentiment before Covid. It had the highest unvaxxed kids-in-school rates of anyplace in the state. It's where Seattle people move if they want a relaxed island/alternative life. But I guess Covid put fear into them and they believe in science again.

1622044255639.png

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm pleased that three of my grandchildren (aged 19, 17 and 13) have all received their first shot. I guess the 10-year-old has to wait a bit. The mother of the 17- and 19-year-old was so relieved when the younger got her shot yesterday that she (the mother, not the kid) cried.

Quebec claims they're ahead of schedule and we should be able to get our second shots earlier than originally planned. So that's a good thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A couple of happy families in Ohio after the first weekly drawing. The Governor called the adult winner. He also went to the home of the 14yo who won a full-ride college scholarship. The boy's mother entered him just before the deadline. His father is a teacher. :smile:

May 27, NY Times
Meet the Ohio vaccine lottery’s $1 million winner: A 22-year-old who ‘thought it was a prank.’
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/27/us/ohio-vaccine-lottery-winner.html

kiki

Angel Diva
Here on the canadian west coast we’ve been a bit behind some of you. I finally got my first shot today. Despite an appointment time there was a super long line up winding all around the building and I thought I would faint from the heat, and inside it was sweltering. I guess I looked peaky as the nurse offered for me to go lie down in some other area but I toughed it out and home now in the A/C and icing it.
Sounds like we can get a second shot in 8 weeks.

Christy

Angel Diva
Here on the canadian west coast we’ve been a bit behind some of you. I finally got my first shot today. Despite an appointment time there was a super long line up winding all around the building and I thought I would faint from the heat, and inside it was sweltering. I guess I looked peaky as the nurse offered for me to go lie down in some other area but I toughed it out and home now in the A/C and icing it.
Sounds like we can get a second shot in 8 weeks.

It feels so hot!! I guess 84 (in Seattle) isn't THAT hot but maybe because it's so much warmer than it usually is or has been.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What Ohio started with the $1 million prize based on a few weekly random drawings has been copied by several other states. Usually slight variations to the process. Some states require people to sign up either after or before they are vaccinated. Others are using the database of people who get vaccinated. Younger folks ages 12-17 are being offered college money in various ways.

California, Kentucky, Colorado, and North Carolina are among the states with drawings for big money. The NC program was announced today and has an extra twist. People who get vaccinated between June 10 and early August get two entries into the bi-weekly drawings.

One clear advantage of having drawing winners is the positive news reports that can be generated. The six winners so far in Ohio are perfect spokespeople to help convince hesitant folks who aren't actually anti-vax types. There is a 64yo retired man, an Amazon driver with plenty of bills to pay, and a recent college graduate who is working and attending graduate school.

Christy

Angel Diva
Let's hope it works! Did you hear about the crazy doctor that the Ohio legislature invited to testify? And what a nice reception she got, even after testifying that if you're vaccinated you become magnetic, and spoons and forks will stick to your forehead and your body?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let's hope it works! Did you hear about the crazy doctor that the Ohio legislature invited to testify? And what a nice reception she got, even after testifying that if you're vaccinated you become magnetic, and spoons and forks will stick to your forehead and your body?
I saw her testimony! OMG what a loony toon! I want to stick some forks to me and video it and declare it's from the vaccine :rotf:

Christy

Angel Diva
Washington has jumped on the lottery bandwagon too, and apparently the state is having trouble getting people to collect their prizes because they are calling people and no one is answering their phone! So they been trying to get the word out in the news, here's the prefix we will use and if you are not picking up because you think this is spam, at least listen to your voicemail. There are big cash prizes plus fun stuff like suites at Mariners games, Xbox's for the teenagers, etc.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Surely if it's that magical, even spoons and forks made of non magnetic materials will stick as well, right? :rotf:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Has anyone spent much time reading about the inventor of the mRNA vaccine, Katalin Kariko? Apparently she started her research in the early 90s and was continually slighted professionally because her idea was too fringe at the time. She lost her tenure track appointment at the University of Pennsylvania because she kept losing out on grant funding. But she stuck with her idea and had faith in herself, and here we are today. I will be very shocked and disappointed if she doesn’t win the next Nobel Prize for medicine!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Has anyone spent much time reading about the inventor of the mRNA vaccine, Katalin Kariko? Apparently she started her research in the early 90s and was continually slighted professionally because her idea was too fringe at the time. She lost her tenure track appointment at the University of Pennsylvania because she kept losing out on grant funding. But she stuck with her idea and had faith in herself, and here we are today. I will be very shocked and disappointed if she doesn’t win the next Nobel Prize for medicine!
Good to know! Here's a pretty good overview.

Turns out there is another scientist that worked on the idea of mRNA a bit before the 1990s. Also was not taken seriously even though he had patents.

MissySki

Angel Diva
MA is now joining in on the lottery thing as well. Fully vaccinated people can register to enter on July 1st and there will be 5- 1 million dollar cash prizes for 18+ and someone 12-17 enters to win 1 of 5 $300,000 scholarships. I'm excited and will definitely be registering! haha Not that I'll win, I have the worst luck with these sorts of things. It's pretty funny to see social media, the reactions have been angry and saying it's a waste of money. I wonder if those are folks that don't want the vaccine and are therefore pissed they can't enter.. The money is part of the federal stimulus to the state I believe.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Darn, I wish Vermont would join in on this! The state is using its federal funds to provide free community college in certain in-demand fields (like nursing) so I guess that’s an OK alternative.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Darn, I wish Vermont would join in on this! The state is using its federal funds to provide free community college in certain in-demand fields (like nursing) so I guess that’s an OK alternative.

Well, it's supposed to be an incentive for getting more vaccinated.. and it doesn't seem like Vermont is in desperate need of that right? :smile:

Here it will open for registration July 1 and the first drawing will be at the end of July and then weekly through the end of August. You can only register once fully vaccinated, so it gives time for those who are still unvaccinated to get in by even the first drawing if they get started soon.

Right now we have over 4 million fully vaccinated, so I don't love the odds but here's hoping! lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna