• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would certainly hope the CDC stats are trying to use the same approach for all states when it comes to vaccination rates. It really was a problem a year ago because there wasn't a consistent approach to how to count much of anything. I stuck with The NY Times approach and CovidActNow more for consistency than anything else for numbers for detected cases, deaths, and percent positive.. It was the overall trend over. a period of weeks that mattered more than any number on a specific day.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure what is happening for 12-17 at this point, but I'm pretty sure the initial percentages before Pfizer was approved for younger children were based on adults 18+
I believe this is true in our county, because since last week we've had a 5000 person increase in the "eligible" number and now our % fully vaccinated has dropped over a point. I only pay attention to the county numbers here since they are the primary vaccine sites and are feeding upwards to state and CDC, and have the info first. Our state data definitely lags the individual county sites. And it's a big enough state that all I care about is my own county, which is roughly the size of the state of Connecticut.

Last edited:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PA has 57% that received at least one dose and 42% that are fully vaccinates, so getting there. I have also seen that in some states % of fully vaccinated is hovering around 30-35%, that is sad, I know at this point it's not a supply issue anymore, it is vaccine hesitancy.

On the bright side - just saw an NPR article that states that 25 states have over 50% of population fully vaccinated:
In 25 States, More Than Half Of Adults Are Fully Vaccinated : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

For me it's exciting to see COVID infection rates fall in US as vaccination numbers climb.

marzNC

Angel Diva
PA has 57% that received at least one dose and 42% that are fully vaccinates, so getting there. I have also seen that in some states % of fully vaccinated is hovering around 30-35%, that is sad, I know at this point it's not a supply issue anymore, it is vaccine hesitancy.

On the bright side - just saw an NPR article that states that 25 states have over 50% of population fully vaccinated:
In 25 States, More Than Half Of Adults Are Fully Vaccinated : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

For me it's exciting to see COVID infection rates fall in US as vaccination numbers climb.
For any math nerds . . . click here to learn more about the Hex-Tile map idea :smile:

What's a little scary is that the states with low vaccination rates and also states with high rates of obesity. Especially those in the south. That's a known risk factor that hasn't been mentioned as much as medical issues such as diabetes or hypertension. Obesity is a risk factor for both of those conditions, but I would guess there are obese people who haven't yet been diagnosed so think they have no underlying medical condition to worry about.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.00.53 PM.png

https://worldpopulationreview.com/en/state-rankings/obesity-rate-by-state
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.03.19 PM.png

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's a little scary is that the states with low vaccination rates and also states with high rates of obesity. Especially those in the south. That's a known risk factor that hasn't been mentioned as much as medical issues such as diabetes or hypertension. Obesity is a risk factor for both of those conditions, but I would guess there are obese people who haven't yet been diagnosed so think they have no underlying medical condition to worry about.
Ouch, that is a good point. I was just looking at the vaccination map and was wondering what are those Southern states are thinking, but I forgot about high obesity rates. Yeah that could translate to high amount of severely sick people if they don't get vaccinated more and have an outbreak.

On unrelated note - I went to a grocery store today and saw maybe 4 people without masks and wondered whether they are vaccinated, also walked as far away from as possible lol.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My sister and I were walking out to the Municipal Wharf today after lunch and I was mentioning I wonder how many people out there have been vaccinated. There is really no way of knowing. I live in a tourist beach city and a huge percentage of locals have been vaccinated, but what about all those who come from other places? San Francisco, yes, but the inland areas, not so much faith. I wore my trusted bandana around my neck. The good thing is it keeps the sun off my neck when wearing tank tops (no old lady neck for me!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
The push in on to convince younger adults to get vaccinated. Meaning under 40 I guess, if not under 30. Dr. Fauci and Pres. Biden recently did a online "town hall" with known influencers. It's not the typical collection of people but these are YouTubers with millions of followers. Some of the questions were designed to get at vaccine hesitancy. This is from the White House channel, but is all about public health.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks, will have to take a look!

I'm imagining the under 30 crowd is more of the holdup, but I guess I don't know that beyond my own experience. I'm under 40 and most people I know personally of the same age range have gotten their shot already. Of course we tend to gravitate towards people kind of like us in many ways so that might be misleading in my own little sphere. The people I personally know in my own family refusing the vaccine are in their late 40s and into 50s, oh and my grandmother who is in her 80s. Two of those people also have a 16 year old who refuses to get it which is I guess unsurprising due to the attitude of his parents on it. I'm still so happy I was able to convince my mom and step-father as it's majority of her side of the family that are refusing (her mom, brother, sister, brother in law, nephew.. there are probably more:doh:)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm glad USA Today is actively working to try to deal with the most ridiculous claims of what a vaccine can do that's bad. Apparently they started the Fact Check articles in April. There are links to good sources.

I'm not actively looking for stuff like this. Finding out about them in other online ski forums.

April 27, 2021, USA Today
Fact check: No, interacting with a vaccinated person won't cause miscarriage or menstrual changes
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ted-person-wont-cause-miscarriage/7303796002/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Meanwhile, the situation in Australia is completely different than the U.S. I'm active in the Aussie ski forum. That ski season is coming up soon. Snowmaking has already started.

Australia's approach is to close off the rest of the world and use lock downs in the major cities when clusters were detected, the number of detected cases, hospitalizations, and deaths was kept very, very low in 2020. However, banking on the Astra Zeneca vaccine as the primary option in early 2021, with Pfizer and Novavax as the 2-shot vaccines, has caused issues with the vaccine rollout. Vaccine hesitancy for AZ is very high, while supplies of Pfizer are limited.

Australia is in the headlines this week because a cluster of community spread was detected. Contact tracing has found nine close contacts so far. Yep, they will impose new restrictions on an entire city for less than 10 detected cases. Note that the term "outbreak" and "cluster" are used differently in Australia than in the U.S. Melbourne is in the state of Victoria. The other big city, Sydney, is in the state of New South Wales. Vaccinations are being organized mainly on the state level, so there are noticeable differences between states.

May 25, 2021, Reuters
Masks, social restrictions return to Australia’s Melbourne after fresh outbreak
https://www.reuters.com/world/austr...bs-melbourne-after-fresh-outbreak-2021-05-25/

MissySki

Angel Diva
Meanwhile, the situation in Australia is completely different than the U.S. I'm active in the Aussie ski forum. That ski season is coming up soon. Snowmaking has already started.

Australia's approach is to close off the rest of the world and use lock downs in the major cities when clusters were detected, the number of detected cases, hospitalizations, and deaths was kept very, very low in 2020. However, banking on the Astra Zeneca vaccine as the primary option in early 2021, with Pfizer and Novavax as the 2-shot vaccines, has caused issues with the vaccine rollout. Vaccine hesitancy for AZ is very high, while supplies of Pfizer are limited.

Australia is in the headlines this week because a cluster of community spread was detected. Contact tracing has found nine close contacts so far. Yep, they will impose new restrictions on an entire city for less than 10 detected cases. Note that the term "outbreak" and "cluster" are used differently in Australia than in the U.S. Melbourne is in the state of Victoria. The other big city, Sydney, is in the state of New South Wales. Vaccinations are being organized mainly on the state level, so there are noticeable differences between states.

May 25, 2021, Reuters
Masks, social restrictions return to Australia’s Melbourne after fresh outbreak
https://www.reuters.com/world/austr...bs-melbourne-after-fresh-outbreak-2021-05-25/

Are they allowing travel in and out of Australia? I'm just curious how the cases start back up again as a "cluster" if they've closed themselves in/everyone else out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are they allowing travel in and out of Australia? I'm just curious how the cases start back up again as a "cluster" if they've closed themselves in/everyone else out.
The borders to Australia are essentially closed but there are always exceptions. Just as there isn't normal travel between the U.S. and Canada but there are people crossing that border all the time for assorted reasons. Australia is an island country, a continent by itself, with a population of about 26 million. (Population of NY is about 20 million.)

Having few detected local cases is not the same thing as having no cases at all.

https://covidlive.com.au

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 2.45.07 PM.png
The situation in Australia with regard to vaccinations has much more in common with Taiwan, Singapore, and Thailand than the U.S. or Canada. Complacency because community spread was controlled for so long means that many people in Australia don't think that getting vaccinated sooner rather than later is that important.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Christy

Angel Diva
I just listened to a Planet Money where they talked to a behavioral economist that studied, a few years ago, how to get people to get a flu shot. Sticks actually work better than carrots but can also make people very, very angry. The best thing, they discovered, was to send people a very clinical email saying, a flu shot has been reserved for you.

Of course, politics didn't factor into flu shots.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/998234795/get-the-vaccine-lose-the-skinny-jeans

newboots

Angel Diva
If only the folks in charge would think to use the research!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Going back to the discussion on how states are calculating % vaccinated.. I saw this article yesterday that specifies at the end that over 77% of ADULTS in MA have received at least 1 shot. I think that sounds really high compared to everything else I've seen, but I guess it could be right if calculating off of adults versus the overall population.. IF this is accurate I feel much better about how things are progressing here, in adults anyway.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...ed-including-free-dunkin-iced-coffee/2389744/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly