• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

alison wong

Angel Diva
Alison maybe?
Yes, I am. We already had our first lesson (1st of the 4) on 1/12
1st session Adult & women multi week group lessons' schedule: 1/12, 1/26, and 2/2 and 2/9.
I cancelled my 3rd session women's multi week lesson will be 2/25, 2/26, 3/2 and 3/3. I scheduled my west coast trip on 3/2 and 3/3. Since I will only be able to make to 50% of the class, I decided to cancel.
For Liberty multi week program, if you miss one class (full day), you will only get compensated for an 1- hour group lesson, which is a bad deal.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I forget -- is anyone else doing the liberty enrichment program? Alison maybe? Just got an email that they changed one of the weekends, which is a bit of a bummer. Trying to still make it work. It was clearly necessary though, as the mountain was closed during what was scheduled to be the first enrichment weekend. Yikes.
Yes, @alison is also doing the lesson program at Liberty.

Massanutten was fun over MLK weekend! Marz, you were totally right -- busy lifts in the beginner area midday, but lifts 5 and 6 weren't bad. We started at 9am on Sunday, that was absolutely the way to go. Very nice morning conditions for mid-Atlantic skiing.
Glad you had fun!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
is anyone else doing the liberty enrichment program? Alison maybe?
I am doing the regular Saturday adult development program (met Alison in the common room). Had the first session on the 12th. My legs got tired in the afternoon so I bailed out half an hour early. The instructor took us to steeper and bumpier terrain than I was used to so I got tired quickly and my technique went to hell after lunch. I’m going to have a talk with him and ask if I can stay on the front side after lunch to practice on gentler slopes. The shift into the second Saturday in February is unavoidable but it also means I lose a day of work:frown:.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope it goes well on your next day! I think I'll be tired in the afternoons as well, if we're doing bumps! I welcome the improvement but could not believe how tired I was after bumps at Alta...

I am in the group that is now 2/23, 2/24, 3/2 and 3/3. It isn't likely someone would miss just one class with that 4 classes in 2 weekends setup anyway... was between canceling and moving a bunch of things, but I really want the kids to get those 4 additional coached days on the snow. My 10yo is doing really well, skiing blues mostly parallel, and a few more days will make a big difference I think. I had to move a number of things to be able to do that whole second weekend in March. Hope there's still snow!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Did you go? How was it? How was the instruction?
I had a great time! First lesson/formal instruction I have had since I learned to ski almost 30 years ago (!) After coming back to the sport 10 years ago and skiing more the last few years, it was nice to have someone find areas of improvement. The class was full at 40 women. We broke up into beginner/intermediate/advanced with 2-3 instructors in each, which meant ~6 women/instructor. I was in the intermediate group and we really focused on flexing. Did a variety of different drills to get forward and flex, both things I need to work on. I must have been using different muscles because my calves were sore the next day, a first for me. Many of the women had taken the class before and I really hope to be able to go to another one next year. This was the only time I've been able to make the class over the last three seasons. The only drawback I found was most people already knew each other or came with others and were much older than me, so my more introverted self didn't really fit in.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Hope it goes well on your next day! I think I'll be tired in the afternoons as well, if we're doing bumps! I welcome the improvement but could not believe how tired I was after bumps at Alta...
Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t moguls, just large bumps. I don’t know how to manage anything besides smooth terrain yet.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I had a great time! First lesson/formal instruction I have had since I learned to ski almost 30 years ago (!) After coming back to the sport 10 years ago and skiing more the last few years, it was nice to have someone find areas of improvement. The class was full at 40 women. We broke up into beginner/intermediate/advanced with 2-3 instructors in each, which meant ~6 women/instructor. I was in the intermediate group and we really focused on flexing. Did a variety of different drills to get forward and flex, both things I need to work on. I must have been using different muscles because my calves were sore the next day, a first for me. Many of the women had taken the class before and I really hope to be able to go to another one next year. This was the only time I've been able to make the class over the last three seasons. The only drawback I found was most people already knew each other or came with others and were much older than me, so my more introverted self didn't really fit in.
Thanks for the report! I’ve been thinking about trying one but that early reporting time is a detractor. I am NOT a morning person. If I do it I’d probably try to find lodging nearby so I don’t have to wake up O Dark Early. It won’t be this year though. My bad knee would not allow me to do two full days of skiing in a row. Since I have Saturdays at Liberty, Friday at Whitetail is too much.

Sorry to hear the group is kind of cliquish?

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t moguls, just large bumps. I don’t know how to manage anything besides smooth terrain yet.
I really want to learn how to handle bumps/mounds/gentle moguls as I want to be able to explore more terrain and get down confidently. I need to work on my flex a bit more.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the report! I’ve been thinking about trying one but that early reporting time is a detractor. I am NOT a morning person. If I do it I’d probably try to find lodging nearby so I don’t have to wake up O Dark Early. It won’t be this year though. My bad knee would not allow me to do two full days of skiing in a row. Since I have Saturdays at Liberty, Friday at Whitetail is too much.

Sorry to hear the group is kind of cliquish?
Yeah..I was not so keen on the start time. I used some hotel rewards and booked a hotel about 15 mins away (Holiday Inn Express). My husband came with to do his own thing while I was doing the lessons. Much easier getting up at 6:30a, grabbing a quick shower and coffee, then head to the hill. We skied till little after 6 before calling it after hoards of tour bus kids were bombing down the hill. I could have skied long but I was getting nervous some hot shot kid was going to hit me. Didn't realize how tired I was until we got in the car and then had hour and half to get home. Zzz....

Many in the group knew each other from other Women Days as well as the Women of Whitetail weekends. A good number were retired or older with kids, so it was just harder for me to relate to them. However, those with husbands like myself, had some good laughs about spouses need to keep their comments to themselves and take a lesson themselves. LOL.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Whitetail has two demo days scheduled. They are sponsored by ski shops. Usually means there are brand tents set up by reps. I emailed Whitetail to find out the dates since it's not on their online calendar.

WHITETAIL DEMO DAYS FOR 2019
Feb 15 - Princeton Sports
Feb 22 - Ski Center LTD
I reached out to Ski Center LTD and they say they are NOT having a demo day this season. Unless there is another Ski Center LTD sponsoring the event, there is clearly a miscommunication between the shop and the mountain. The Feb 15 seems to be accurate; the event is on Princeton Sports’ website.

Unless Liberty or Roundtop has other dates, it appears I might not be able to get to any demo days this year. :-(

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Really hoping my husband can get out to the one on the 15th. He wants to move up from his 77 width beginner skis to something in mid to low 80s and longer after seeing how much fun I have been having after it snows and in bumped up terrain. Not sure if I will be able to make it though. Stupid work. :-D

marzNC

Angel Diva
I reached out to Ski Center LTD and they say they are NOT having a demo day this season. Unless there is another Ski Center LTD sponsoring the event, there is clearly a miscommunication between the shop and the mountain. The Feb 15 seems to be accurate; the event is on Princeton Sports’ website.
Thanks for checking!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Heard that Snowshoe had to suspend snowmaking for a few days because of a regional power problem. They did get Shay's open for the weekend though.

With snowmaking, it's always something. Water, power, wind . . . all big factors in addition to the obvious need for cold enough temperatures.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Heard that Snowshoe had to suspend snowmaking for a few days because of a regional power problem. They did get Shay's open for the weekend though.

With snowmaking, it's always something. Water, power, wind . . . all big factors in addition to the obvious need for cold enough temperatures.
So glad they will be back up and running. We are headed there next week. Would be great if they are able to take advantage of the impending bitter cold to put down some more inches, especially near our condo so that it is actually ski in/ski out this year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, didn't realize that Whitetail has a weekly video. I've always enjoyed the daily video updates that Wachusett does. After the frigid temps this week that meant lots of snowmaking, the relatively warm temps this weekend should mean a great time.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to Virginia, where my kids' school is currently deciding whether or not to cancel tomorrow's 7th grade ski trip due to... a dusting of snow being forecast. :rolleyes: Hoping to get to ski at Liberty tomorrow with her class...

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Wisp doesn't get mentioned that often. It gets more natural snow than the central PA ski areas. But it's a bit longer of a drive from the DC area. The operations are run by the same company as Wintergreen.
I have enjoyed Wisp the three times I have been. We usually spend the night up off the interstate using hotel reward points. Went last year while they were getting 5" of the fresh stuff. Had an amazing time, until the temps rose enough to turn the snow into glue. LOL. First time I really got to ski bumped up terrain. It was work but I actually enjoyed it and have been seeking more chopped up terrain and bumps this year. Those areas are usually where you'll find me giggling. :-D

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Welcome to Virginia, where my kids' school is currently deciding whether or not to cancel tomorrow's 7th grade ski trip due to... a dusting of snow being forecast. :rolleyes: Hoping to get to ski at Liberty tomorrow with her class...
Yep, as a fellow NoVirginia, that sounds about right. LOL. Hope you are able to go!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna