• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone planning to ski in the mid-Atlantic after Pres. Day weekend? That's when the slopes can be empty even on weekends but still in pretty good shape. Of course, it's hard to predict the weather so not too much point in making plans too far in advance.

Starting my dev program at Liberty next weekend! And taking a week at Snowshoe for spring break :smile:

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually ski till they close it down. I love that it gets pretty empty.

I wonder if Roundtop will do a demo day this year? I haven't seen anything about it, and usually they do it in February. I don't go to Whitetail or Liberty for their demo days because Roundtop is usually WAY less crowded. One year it was raining and it was just me and a handful of instructors demoing. I had gore tex, so it was pretty great, had my pick!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Starting my dev program at Liberty next weekend! And taking a week at Snowshoe for spring break :smile:
Hoping to get to Snowshoe one last time week of March 11th. Probably get another day or two at Whitetail or Liberty. Whitetail did not have their demo day last Friday listed on their website. I only knew about it from my local shop, Alpine Ski.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Had my best day at Whitetail this season. Soft snow nicely groomed, no crowds, flat light (well this part was bad). I guess all the lessons paid off. I felt in control and could ski at the speed I wanted, even on the little section of blue off Snowpark. And the front side blues don’t look so intimidating anymore :thumbsup:.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Had my best day at Whitetail this season. Soft snow nicely groomed, no crowds, flat light (well this part was bad). I guess all the lessons paid off. I felt in control and could ski at the speed I wanted, even on the little section of blue off Snowpark. And the front side blues don’t look so intimidating anymore :thumbsup:.
I'm hoping to take a midday this week to get in a day there before I head off on work travel again next week. Last Friday, it was so warm and gross. Hoping for colder temps and not potatoes. Also hoping shop can get my new Alluvit 88s mounting up with bindings in time to test them out.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Had a fantastic first weekend at Liberty's Women's Dev program! The instructor is superb. Was nice to get to meet Alison, too :smile:

Ditto. Always nice to put the face and handle name together.

Isn't our instructor great? I just love her, she is the best I've ever had and will stick with her as long as she allows me to....

Just bummed this will be my last on the slope lesson with her. Doing her class is something I look forward to all year long.

Have fun next week. "Eat" more moguls for me and Georgeann! :becky:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
So stoked for a day off tomorrow to head up to Whitetail. 2-4" of snow expected overnight. So glad Monday's forecast to rain changed as I was pretty bummed starting this week off. Got my new Alluvit 88s mounted up and ready to go! Depending on conditions and how I'm feeling for the day, might see if I can get into a lesson to work on my turns a bit. Woohoo for snow! :ski:

On a side note, I commented to my husband that instead of our planned trip to Moab for some hiking mid-May, maybe we should be heading to CA for some skiing! LOL. Dang they are getting some serious snow out there...

marzNC

Angel Diva
On a side note, I commented to my husband that instead of our planned trip to Moab for some hiking mid-May, maybe we should be heading to CA for some skiing! LOL. Dang they are getting some serious snow out there...
Did you see my trip report from May 2018? Bachelor and Mammoth were included. :wink:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Had a blast yesterday at Whitetail! They got 3 inches overnight but a bit of drizzle and heavy fog dampened the first tracks experience due to very low visibility. The drizzle dissipated by about 11 with some of the fog, as did some of the people who may have found the conditions intolerable (goggles were pointless) and too tough (soft bumps taking out skiers). Slopes were pretty empty and the only waiting I ever did at a lift was for the liftie to come over and scan my pass. Many times I got off the lift and saw only one or two other people further down the trail.

I got to try out my new K2 Alluvit 88s and really liked them in the conditions we had! They surfed over the untouched powder I found, gripped the hard ice on scraped off areas, and bounded over and through the bumped-up snow that quickly appeared. They skied very similarly to my Thrilluvit 85s having the same tip shape and tip width, but the added length (ordered 170 but is actually 173) and metal along the sides gave me that stability I was lacking in the Thrilluvits when I picked up speed and encountered variable conditions. I was not used to skiing the conditions I encountered yesterday, so try as much as I could to stay forward, my quads were about toast by 2pm. I then decided to cruise the greens and work on my carving and smearing. I also had a little fun checking out the XS-S terrain park. :-D

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can see from the Massanutten webcams that it's pretty foggy this morning. But that means the slopes are empty even on a Saturday. There are special events planned for the afternoon/evening so I hope it clears up.

"Clearing with highs in the upper 40s, Winter Storm Watch for Sunday! Fireworks and a full slate of activites are scheduled all weekend long for our second annual Snow Moon Fest weekend! Scout Days on Sunday. Torchlight parade and fireworks starting tonight at 9:15. Lift #5 and #6 will close at 8:45pm."

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Looks like the cold weather this week will really help the resorts get through March. It was not looking pretty a week ago. Some write-up were talking about the end being near and conditions were pretty sad. Looking to get a final two days in at Wisp early next week. We haven't been over there yet this season and aren't up for the longer drive down to Snowshoe for just two days. After we get those days in, then I can look to spring road races and backpacking.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking to get a final two days in at Wisp early next week.
I saw on SkiSE that Wisp got a few inches of snow out of the last storm that was more rain and ice pellets in VA. One of the regulars went to Bryce recently because he's trying to get to all the places covered by SkiSE. He thought there was enough base for some Mid-A fun since it was midweek and totally empty.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto. Always nice to put the face and handle name together.

Isn't our instructor great? I just love her, she is the best I've ever had and will stick with her as long as she allows me to....

Just bummed this will be my last on the slope lesson with her. Doing her class is something I look forward to all year long.

Have fun next week. "Eat" more moguls for me and Georgeann! :becky:

She's amazing. Hope you're having a blast at Big Sky!

I did learn to love the moguls today. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking at the webcams, it’s snowing at Mnut! This morning's conditions report says "1-3 inches." :snow:

What's completely unexpected is that Massanutten is selling 2019-20 season passes until March 17. 10% off a Full Season pass. For new passholders, it’s good all of March. For renewing passholders, offering an 8-hour Buddy Pass good next season. For someone who is within a couple hours drive who wants to get in another weekend ski day or two, a Special Value Pass could be a good deal since it’s good on Sundays, as well as Mon-Fri and Sat after 4pm. As far as I know, this is a first. Usually have to wait until October to buy a season pass, with a discounted price until late November.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Peak Pass offerings that apply to Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop have been announced. Definitely a change from the Snowtime pass options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna