• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone thinking about Snowshoe this weekend? By all accounts, it's going to one of the best early Feb weekends in quite a while. It snowed in the past week and then stayed plenty cold for snowmaking. Won't be frigid or any threat of rain all weekend.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 1.46.14 PM.png

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Wish we were! Unfortunately we arrive Tuesday just as the rain and 50s hit. Guess we will be in rain coats skiing the slush. Yuck. Hoping the snow forecasted for Friday holds this far out.

I should add tho that we don't ski weekends there. It's just too busy. I don't feel safe with so many hooligans.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I should add tho that we don't ski weekends there. It's just too busy. I don't feel safe with so many hooligans.
Quite understand when you can ski midweek. Only time I've been at Snowshoe on a weekend was in March for SkiSE Summits when my daughter was still in elementary school. By then, no worries about a crowd. Although we would still head to Silver Creek for lunch and afternoon skiing. She wasn't quite ready for the Western Territories then.

Unfortunately we arrive Tuesday just as the rain and 50s hit. Guess we will be in rain coats skiing the slush. Yuck. Hoping the snow forecasted for Friday holds this far out.
Given how deep the base has become, should hold up decently as long as it's not a downpour.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Given how deep the base has become, should hold up decently as long as it's not a downpour.
I don't mind the soft snow. It's when it rains and I can't see out the goggles or need to take them off to squint and see that I call it. Had that happen on same trip last year. Urrgh. :rolleyes:

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoping to get to ski at Liberty tomorrow with her class...

We went. It was amazing. Natural snow plus blown snow. Powder skiing! I haven't skied powder like that in 20 years, have never been lucky while traveling to ski. It was a blast... except for the snow machines hitting us in the face. :thumbsup:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
We went. It was amazing. Natural snow plus blown snow. Powder skiing! I haven't skied powder like that in 20 years, have never been lucky while traveling to ski. It was a blast... except for the snow machines hitting us in the face. :thumbsup:
So glad you could go! The resorts really looked fantastic. If we weren't busy today I was going to push for some morning laps up at Whitetail, even with the crowds. Snowshoe is not looking great for our trip last this week. Of course great conditions are always before or after we leave. Same thing happened back after our post New Year's trip.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Powder skiing is fun no matter how short the slopes are! An odd advantage for those who like fresh powder is that when it snows more than an inch in the mid-Atlantic, that can mean fewer people on the slopes even on a weekend.

I haven't skied Cataloochee, south of Asheville, NC, yet but @snowski/swimmouse knows it well. Here's a taste of how much fun can be had even when the total acreage is only about 25 acres. Night skiing helps In the southeast, it's usually not all that cold after the sun goes down.

alison wong

Angel Diva
The inside ski sounds pretty fun! Has anyone tried it?
I have. I purchased 8 group lesson package, did lessons with my L3 Ski Liberty instructor. I can't use the word "fun" to describe it though. But I must say, thanks to these 8 lessons, my skiing took a quantum leap this season.

Finally I was able to "feel" what is the correct stance vs. not-so-correct stance, "feel" how to drive the front of the skis, proper upper / lower body separation, understand visually the meaning of how to quiet my hips while turning... etc.. These were the issues I have and did not know how to correct them before.

Skiing on carpet and visually see myself in mirror help me to visualize these issues and correct them by "feeling it".

I took these lessons with my classmate from the women's group at Liberty, 2 of us, essentially it was a semi-private working with our L3 instructor. My classmate also thinks her skiing has improved.

Both of us plan to continue doing this as long as our instructor can continue to work with us.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Finally I was able to "feel" what is the correct stance vs. not-so-correct stance, "feel" how to drive the front of the skis, proper upper / lower body separation, understand visually the meaning of how to quiet my hips while turning... etc.. These were the issues I have and did not know how to correct them before.
Feeling my feet, learning to drive, and to not be static were the three big things I picked up. While we never made it to parallel in the four lessons we had, just the ability to focus on what your feet were doing and to see yourself in the mirror was very helpful. It was really the first time my husband could see he was turning with is upper body and not using his legs and rotation. Would love to continue with more lessons but are unable to right now with our budget.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Managed to move our four-day trip from tomorrow to Saturday. Whew! We were just not thrilled with the forecast for very warm temps and rain, especially my brother who is coming up from Florida. So we head over on Saturday morning and leave Wednesday. Yeah, we will have the crowds Sat and Sun but better to have some skiing than none with the rain. Hoping the forecast for cold temps and snow pans out!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I've been waiting all week to hear the race at WISP is cancelled this weekend. As of right now, it's still on. I can't imagine conditions will be too great, though. Anyone hear anything?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone planning to ski in the mid-Atlantic after Pres. Day weekend? That's when the slopes can be empty even on weekends but still in pretty good shape. Of course, it's hard to predict the weather so not too much point in making plans too far in advance.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone planning to ski in the mid-Atlantic after Pres. Day weekend? That's when the slopes can be empty even on weekends but still in pretty good shape. Of course, it's hard to predict the weather so not too much point in making plans too far in advance.

We usually keep skiing 'til the resorts close.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have Montage season passes again?

I'm driving to Boston in early March, but I think I'm going to ski in VT/NH instead of PA. Hoping to use the Ikon pass a little more.

Yup! They're such a great deal.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Freestyle of Charlottesville will have a demo tent at Wintergreen this weekend, Feb. 16-17, 9:00-2:00.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I'll be at the Whitetail demo day tomorrow. Woot woot, first demo day ever for me! Looking to try out all the upper 80s/low 90s for those bumpy soft snow days that are too much for my 80 width carvers and push around my soft and too short 85 Thrilluvits.
We will hit up Snowshoe one last time mid March if snow holds. We usually get in 2-3 days mid/late week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll be at the Whitetail demo day tomorrow.
If you see the rep from Stöckli, you can tell him that after I demo'd the Stormrider 85 in Jan 2017 at Whitetail, I ended up buying them after demo'ing for a couple days at Taos. But don't try them unless you are prepared to consider a pretty hefty price tag. Cost twice as much as any other skis I've bought new. But worth it for skiing out west.

Have fun!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
If you see the rep from Stöckli, you can tell him that after I demo'd the Stormrider 85 in Jan 2017 at Whitetail, I ended up buying them after demo'ing for a couple days at Taos. But don't try them unless you are prepared to consider a pretty hefty price tag. Cost twice as much as any other skis I've bought new. But worth it for skiing out west.

Have fun!
Hahaha. Yeah...I purposely avoid test driving expensive things simply because they are out of my budget. I'd love a Volvo but my Subie will suffice. LOL. Maybe if I got more than 10 or so days in a season and could see a good ROI they'd be worth considering. :-)

marzNC

Angel Diva
With all the FEET of snow coming down on the west coast, reminded me of the epic week at Massanutten back in early Feb 2010. That was one of the times I was powder chasing from my house. Looks like the pics in the trip report on Photo Bucket still work.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-massanutten-feb-3-epic-snowstorm.9096/

What made that winter special was that my daughter had made friends with another tween girl who lived in Charlottesville. The three of us did a lot of skiing that winter. The other mom didn't ski due to injuries. The other family moved away from VA soon afterwards.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly