• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
It really depends where you live. Hunter is a 6-hr drive w/o stopping from Northern VA. Snowshoe at 4 hours is more realistic for a weekend trip.
As with all skiing that isn't day trip distance, it depends on someone's priorities. Snowshoe only has 1400 ft vertical on the two trails in the Western Territories. Hunter has more variety that is all connected. Snowshoe's 244 acres includes Silver Creek, which requires a bus ride. Hunter has 320 acres, including a pretty big area for beginners that's pretty separate. With the new lift, that seems to be spreading people out better at Hunter. Plus there is the possibility of tree skiing later on in the season.

Lodging at Snowshoe is expensive. Not many budget lodging options nearby. Hunter doesn't really have slopeside lodging but there are motels not too far away.

For early season, Hunter is a better bet. For late season, could go either way in terms of snow conditions.

Someone who wants to ski Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop and goes for the Peak Pass will probably not have too much trouble getting their money's worth for Peak. Of course, if they are willing to get Ikon in addition to a pass for Whitetail/Liberty/RT then Snowshoe would be in the mix for weekends.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I am really curious if Peak would do away with the Whitetail/Liberty/RT only pass and/or the advantage card and just offer the Peak Pass. The calculus would change quite a bit for me. Do we know what Peak has done with past acquisitions?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am really curious if Peak would do away with the Whitetail/Liberty/RT only pass and/or the advantage card and just offer the Peak Pass. The calculus would change quite a bit for me. Do we know what Peak has done with past acquisitions?
Peak hasn't done this sort of acquisition before. Meaning more than one mountain. So it's very hard to predict. If Peak is smart, they will continue to offer some sort of "local" pass with the option to upgrade to the full Peak. Just as Vail Resorts does for the three midwest ski areas that VR owns. Or perhaps a pass for all the Peak locations in PA, although few people from DC would drive to Big Boulder/Jack Frost.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hard to say . . . remember the way last March turned out? But I agree that it's past time for the warm rain clouds to quit going so far north. Or at least the storms could move faster instead of dumping rain for days.
I do remember, the snow was amazing! Unfortunately, Roundtop has a history of closing before those March storms. :( Maybe the new management will postpone closing day if the base is still good and it's cold enough to keep going. Fingers crossed!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain Lodge at Snowshoe has some relatively inexpensive Airbnb options. It depends upon the week, probably less so over holidays. Not super super cheap budget (but not bad!) and think 70s/80s ski lodge, but the ski in/out flexibility is nice.

I did find the drive took longer than expected, however. WV roads, so much winding!

marzNC

Angel Diva
In case anyone is headed to Snowshoe Jan. 12-13, it's Winterfest. Apparently includes demo gear from Nordica.

With cold weather coming in from the northwest, Snowshoe conditions should be pretty good by Saturday. From what I've seen on DCSki, the added snowmaking power made a big difference in the depth of the base that was built up before the warm spell started in late December.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is finally snowing at Roundtop! We ditched on whitetail, it was soooooo crowded. So nice to have some actual snow!

I'm jealous. We're not supposed to get more than inch or two here outside Philly and the Poconos are supposed to get even less.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm jealous. We're not supposed to get more than inch or two here outside Philly and the Poconos are supposed to get even less.
It's beautiful right now, coating everything. It's putting a nice soft layer over the hardpack. I'll try to channel some snow vibes to Blue for future storms :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Started snowing at Massanutten right on schedule around 1pm today. Lots of fun all afternoon as the snow continued. Upper Showtime was great all day. DJ got a little icy, but that felt like Vermont to @ilovepugs on her snowboard. Once the snow started, the slopes cleared out a lot more than usual. I think locals stayed home. I bet some people cancelled due to snowy roads.

More snow expected overnight. :becky:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Classic ice coast conditions!!! I had so much fun cutting it up and carving on the board. And in light of the lack of pain caused by it, the epic slide I took over the headwall was kind of hysterical.

I wish my feet hurt less in my ski boots. The AJ’s were fun, lively, and easy to turn, but this demo exercise has made me re-commit to shelling out the cash to get properly fitting boots instead of the budget boots that I bought just to get started.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Shelling out the cash to get properly fitting boots instead of the budget boots that I bought just to get started.
My husband and I were lucky when we bought our first boots almost three years ago. We just wanted something better than the rentals, we knew nothing about boot fitting. I didn't have the Ski Diva knowledge I have now. :thumbsup: How fortunate we were to have to live in Leesburg with ProFit ski around the corner with one of the east coast's best boot fitters. They were sort of impromptu late season purchases. Were there over two hours. Didn't know until well after we left and a subsequent final fitting for me, just how lucky we were to have stepped into a great shop with a lot of knowledgeable people. It's very likely we will both step up in flex at the end of the season, if not by end of next season, and will be working with them again. Amazing how great fitting boots made us so much better skiers. Good luck in your search for your next boot!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
My husband and I were lucky when we bought our first boots almost three years ago. We just wanted something better than the rentals, we knew nothing about boot fitting. I didn't have the Ski Diva knowledge I have now. :thumbsup: How fortunate we were to have to live in Leesburg with ProFit ski around the corner with one of the east coast's best boot fitters. They were sort of impromptu late season purchases. Were there over two hours. Didn't know until well after we left and a subsequent final fitting for me, just how lucky we were to have stepped into a great shop with a lot of knowledgeable people. It's very likely we will both step up in flex at the end of the season, if not by end of next season, and will be working with them again. Amazing how great fitting boots made us so much better skiers. Good luck in your search for your next boot!

@SquidWeaselYay and @HikenSki, it would be fun to do a DMV/Mid-Atlantic meet up, either on or off the hill! Maybe somewhere central like Baltimore? :thumbsup:

BTW, my plan is to go to Inner Bootworks in Stowe. It’s going to be $$$$$$$ but my husband had an amazing experience and his boots have zero hot spots.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Whitetail has two demo days scheduled. They are sponsored by ski shops. Usually means there are brand tents set up by reps. I emailed Whitetail to find out the dates since it's not on their online calendar.

WHITETAIL DEMO DAYS FOR 2019
Feb 15 - Princeton Sports
Feb 22 - Ski Center LTD

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Freestyle Demo tent seemed pretty busy at Massanutten Jan. 12-13. Set up at the base of Lift 4 near the ski lodge this time. Not too many options but still enough to try 2-3 models.

Hopefully there will be another Freestyle demo weekend in early February.

KristinB

Certified Ski Diva
Freestyle will be at Wintergreen this weekend at Checkerberry Cabin.

Thanks for the info on Pro Fit at Leesburg to those who commented on it.....might have to take a run up there. The inside ski sounds pretty fun! Has anyone tried it?

Last edited:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
The inside ski sounds pretty fun! Has anyone tried it?
My husband and I each did a four pack. It was well worth it to condition our legs and get into the motions before heading out for the season. Hit the snow and we we're off and running. Met a few folks who took many more lessons and really improved their skiing. It's not cheap tho...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for the info on Pro Fit at Leesburg to those who commented on it.....might have to take a run up there. The inside ski sounds pretty fun! Has anyone tried it?
Here's one of the threads related to Inside Ski.

I did a private lesson for being a supporter when they were raising funds to help with the installation. Managed to get to a few parallel turns about halfway thru the hour. Can certainly see how it could be very helpful.

@alison wong worked with her Liberty L3 instructor at Inside Ski over the summer.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Massanutten was fun over MLK weekend! Marz, you were totally right -- busy lifts in the beginner area midday, but lifts 5 and 6 weren't bad. We started at 9am on Sunday, that was absolutely the way to go. Very nice morning conditions for mid-Atlantic skiing.

I forget -- is anyone else doing the liberty enrichment program? Alison maybe? Just got an email that they changed one of the weekends, which is a bit of a bummer. Trying to still make it work. It was clearly necessary though, as the mountain was closed during what was scheduled to be the first enrichment weekend. Yikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna