• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Worst ski advice you've ever received.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That reminds me of bad advice given to a friend at Massanutten. She learned as a adult when the family got started because her youngest daughter had a Girl Scout ski weekend in WV. She did the never-ever lesson at Mnut, and person a beginner lesson or two after that. What stuck in her mind was the idea of falling as a last resort when out of control when going "too fast." Unfortunately that's what she remembered a few years later when skiing on a black trail (blue at any big mountain). She ended up sliding off the side of the trail (all manmade snow) and broke her leg.

When I was 'learning' to ski in PA a friend told me that if I couldn't stop to just fall. She may have been joking but I really didn't know how to stop and so did a lot of falling. This was in college, so I was young and dumb and didn't ski again for years because of how terrifying it was. Then I took a lesson and actually learned to ski and realized that it could be fun and not death defying.

alison wong

Angel Diva
What stuck in her mind was the idea of falling as a last resort when out of control when going "too fast."
So what should you tell a never ever do then? Reason for my asking, my friend and her family will be going to 7 springs 3 days during xmas break for skiing. Now I wonder, what should I tell her advice wise? I mean falling as a last resort does sound intuitive to me.... no?

When I was 'learning' to ski in PA a friend told me that if I couldn't stop to just fall. She may have been joking but I really didn't know how to stop and so did a lot of falling.
That's what I did also when I first learned skiing. Glad I wasn't alone on this! Whenever I felt I was gaining speed and at a pace I could not slow down, I chose to fall. I fell very often when I was a beginner.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So what should you tell a never ever do then? Reason for my asking, my friend and her family will be going to 7 springs 3 days during xmas break for skiing. Now I wonder, what should I tell her advice wise? I mean falling as a last resort does sound intuitive to me.... no?
What I told my friend afterwards was that the idea of falling to stop might work on green runs, but did not apply to blues and certainly not to blacks, not even Mid-A blacks.

Falling is one thing. Deliberately deciding to fall as a first choice over doing anything else . . . not the best approach. Have to ask an instructor for a better alternative.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What I told my friend afterwards was that the idea of falling to stop might work on green runs, but did not apply to blues and certainly not to blacks, not even Mid-A blacks.

Falling is one thing. Deliberately deciding to fall as a first choice over doing anything else . . . not the best approach. Have to ask an instructor for a better alternative.

Turning across and almost up the hill to a stop is a much safer alternative. If someone is on a blue or black, they should be able to turn across the hill.

Tvan

Angel Diva
So what should you tell a never ever do then? Reason for my asking, my friend and her family will be going to 7 springs 3 days during xmas break for skiing. Now I wonder, what should I tell her advice wise?

My favorite advice for never-evers is “take a lesson so you can learn how to turn and how to stop.”

kiki

Angel Diva
Agreeing with @Tvan being acle to stop cleanly is really important for personal safety as well as safely of others

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sit back in powder? That advice is so 1990.
I'm a bit hesitant to post this as I'll look a bit like an idiot, but I was genuinely surprised to read that sitting back is considered bad advice. In my defense, my last instructor lesson was in the 90's :tongue: Can't wait to improve my powder technique on a proper pair of skis this winter!

On topic: I haven't had a lot of (bad) advice on technique, but a lot of bad advice on gear. The guy who insisted my newer, bigger boots would fit my old frame bindings takes the cake. Spoiler: they were too big for the bindings, so they didn't release when they should have. I twisted my knee and had knee issues for months.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
It's what you had to do to keep narrow skis from diving into the snow. In heavy crud you have to adjust COG a little bit to drive the skis but I wouldn't call it sitting back.

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of the advice I've not liked has been to ski less, to stay home amd take it easy, not to push myself. Most people say I'm crazy to get up at 4 in the morning and spend 3 hours each way driving to and from the ski hill, and that i shouldn't spend money so much money on gas, on gear and skiing overall.

I get this all the time. I usually get up at 5-5:30 for skiing so non-skiers think I am crazy for doing this on the weekend when I could be sleeping in.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a bit hesitant to post this as I'll look a bit like an idiot, but I was genuinely surprised to read that sitting back is considered bad advice. In my defense, my last instructor lesson was in the 90's :tongue: Can't wait to improve my powder technique on a proper pair of skis this winter!

On topic: I haven't had a lot of (bad) advice on technique, but a lot of bad advice on gear. The guy who insisted my newer, bigger boots would fit my old frame bindings takes the cake. Spoiler: they were too big for the bindings, so they didn't release when they should have. I twisted my knee and had knee issues for months.

I think it depends on the width of your ski...I can ski foot deep powder on my 80 underfoot skis, tho the shovel is 120 with rocker...I do pressure my heels when in powder to keep the tips up without leaning too far back...it's so fun!!

I also have to say I've never really received bad advice...sometimes I'm not always ready to hear it, but it's always been pretty spot on.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

elemmac

Angel Diva
The usual suspects of bad advice (generally said tongue in cheek, but easily taken the wrong way):
- Go big or go home
- Go fast, take chances
- Just send it

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Worst skiing advice: “You only need one ski jacket.”

:rotf:

I just mentally counted five but I think I’m taking with me to VT! That does not include the ones I don’t wear anymore and should probably sell or donate! I often wonder why my financial planner has not just given up on me!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your financial planner gives you s%$^ about your jackets, ask them how often they buy a new car.

LOL - actually not that often since he moved into an urban area! Truthfully I'm sure it's more the seasonal rental, equipment, passes and the money pit, aka my sailboat racing habit! I have said I will try and expire the day after I spend my last dollar living well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga