• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in fresh powder

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do a dance and twirl the batons, we got a powder day at Sunday River!

Seriously, I think I've had two honest to goodness ones in the last four years. But the magic wears off soon after the first run or two because...

I don't know how to ski in it. Does that sound ridiculous? I did take the opportunity to demo, and put my Burnin' Luvs in ski check. I took out the Lotta Luvs, which helped. A friend at lunch commented that you have to shift your weight back a bit, and that's hard because here we spend most of our time on hard pack and groomers, focusing on staying forward. Is she right? Then where is the balance? What do you have to keep in mind?:snow:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You need a steeper pitch typically to ski powder and remember to use the powder, not as much your turn to slow you. Most people I think (including myself) tend to try to take the same sort of turn in powder as they do in hardpack but if you watch the lines of good powder skiers they are fairly straight. Also, don't try to get your ski on edge as it will never find it and the effort often topples you. Good luck, it's also one of my areas to improve but I've finally started to see results this year. :D

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You need a steeper pitch typically to ski powder and remember to use the powder, not as much your turn to slow you. Most people I think (including myself) tend to try to take the same sort of turn in powder as they do in hardpack but if you watch the lines of good powder skiers they are fairly straight. Also, don't try to get your ski on edge as it will never find it and the effort often topples you. Good luck, it's also one of my areas to improve but I've finally started to see results this year. :D

Wow, see, and to complicate things there was really only about 5 inches of fresh snow over the hardpack, and while I headed immediately out to my favorite black steep to try them out, it was already pushed around bumps separated by patches of ice. I had no idea what to do with my edges or turning, and I kept letting my poles drop and fell into the back seat. I got discouraged, took a break, and headed for more level snow to just cruise a bit.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the runs with fresh powder, follow Robyn's advice....point your skis somewhat straighter down the hill and let the snow slow you down. The farther out of the fall line you turn, the more likely you'll get tripped up. Your balance point in 5ish" is still right over the center of the ski. You can still carve in it, but you'll need to keep your speed up. As it gets deeper, you'll find your balance point is more toward your heels - but don't lean back cuz your quads will hate you.

Once you get to pow piles-n-ice, try to keep your turns happening on the piles. Plant each of your poles on the top edge of the bump, close to you, then let your skis pivot on the top and slide down the back side....keep those pole plants coming!!!! If you find yourself slipping into the ice, just relax and pick up your line again when you hit the next bump.

Keeping limber and letting your legs flex and extend is super important either way. Good Luck!!

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do a dance and twirl the batons, we got a powder day at Sunday River!

Seriously, I think I've had two honest to goodness ones in the last four years. But the magic wears off soon after the first run or two because...

I don't know how to ski in it. Does that sound ridiculous? I did take the opportunity to demo, and put my Burnin' Luvs in ski check. I took out the Lotta Luvs, which helped. A friend at lunch commented that you have to shift your weight back a bit, and that's hard because here we spend most of our time on hard pack and groomers, focusing on staying forward. Is she right? Then where is the balance? What do you have to keep in mind?:snow:

Hey toots!

To qualify yesterday at SR...it was definately complicated by the crust under the snow. The 'shift your weight back' advice is 100% accurate, in all powder. But on a day like yesterday, it's a little bit tougher b/c you do that, hit a patch of ice and it's harder to control yourself. I felt I couldn't give 100% to the powder, if you kwim. The CO and UT woman may not understand lol... It took me a couple runs to get a groove, but didn't feel as much in my groove as I would have on a 100% powder or 100% hardpack day (although recovering from a stomach bug may have been part of the reason for that lol).

I did enjoy the snow slowing me down, didn't get as tired. Loved the frosting yesterday, so beautiful. We wondered if 'snowbows' existed when we were skiing while it was sunny and snowing.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, in 5 inches you will still carve some edge. My brain was in Colorado powder which is different. Sorry. And yes, allowing your legs to move with the changes in terrain is critical.

altagirl

Staff member
A friend at lunch commented that you have to shift your weight back a bit, and that's hard because here we spend most of our time on hard pack and groomers, focusing on staying forward. Is she right? Then where is the balance? What do you have to keep in mind?:snow:

Only if you're hoping to spend your season getting your ACL's reconstructed...

NO LEANING BACK. Okay, well the one exception is that if you're on a pitch that is flat enough that you're having to go completely in a straight line and have no intention of turning whatsoever - yes, you can lean back a little to keep your tips up. If you are going to even think about turning, you need to be centered, just like you would be skiing anything else.

And yes - you will overhear a hundred people on a powder day telling each other to lean back because it helps, but it's not good powder technique and it's just asking for an injury. When you keep your weight forward, you are doing that by pushing your shins into the front of your boots and your heels back in the heel pocket - not standing on your toes, right? You want your foot to stay neutral. This is not going to make your skis dive under the snow. Leaning back might keep your tips out of the snow, but you're also completely out of control and putting horrible torque on your knees. Don't do it.

Like others have said, the key to skiing powder is to realize that you are going to be going much slower because of the drag of the snow. You will have to make bigger turns and keep your skis in the fall line much more to keep your speed up and keep moving. Think about skiing like you're carving railroad tracks on a groomer. Once you're on steeper terrain, then you can make tighter turns but you have to get up to speed first.

The skiing is really the same in powder as it is on any other snow - the difference is patience. You have to find the rhythm of it to keep moving, and you have to get enough momentum or you can't turn in it at all. The problem most people have is they drop in to a powder run and immediately try to turn just like they would if it was hard packed snow and that won't work. Point your skis down the fall line, accellerate, then tip them on edge and use a little weighting/unweighting and it will all happen on it's own. Problem #2 is that people try to force turns. Instead of tipping their skis on edge and initiating a turn they try to twist their feet and force their skis to turn. This is exhausting and won't work at all in heavy snow. Skiing powder correctly is virtually effortless. You have to realize it's almost like powder skiing is in slow motion. Give it some time and it will happen - it can't be forced.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey toots!

To qualify yesterday at SR...it was definately complicated by the crust under the snow. The 'shift your weight back' advice is 100% accurate, in all powder. But on a day like yesterday, it's a little bit tougher b/c you do that, hit a patch of ice and it's harder to control yourself. I felt I couldn't give 100% to the powder, if you kwim. The CO and UT woman may not understand lol... It took me a couple runs to get a groove, but didn't feel as much in my groove as I would have on a 100% powder or 100% hardpack day (although recovering from a stomach bug may have been part of the reason for that lol).

I did enjoy the snow slowing me down, didn't get as tired. Loved the frosting yesterday, so beautiful. We wondered if 'snowbows' existed when we were skiing while it was sunny and snowing.

I've seen your husband all over the place the last two or three weeks but not you! Where've you been?

I did get my groove on much better as the day went on, and then, after lunch when I picked up the River Runner, I took out a pair of twin tips and he and I rocked North Peak under than sun and blue sky. I really did have a fine day.

We're at the Loaf next weekend for competitions. So far it has not impressed me. I hope conditions are better and the wind stays away.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

NO LEANING BACK. Okay, well the one exception is that if you're on a pitch that is flat enough that you're having to go completely in a straight line and have no intention of turning whatsoever - yes, you can lean back a little to keep your tips up. If you are going to even think about turning, you need to be centered, just like you would be skiing anything else.

And yes - you will overhear a hundred people on a powder day telling each other to lean back because it helps, but it's not good powder technique and it's just asking for an injury. When you keep your weight forward, you are doing that by pushing your shins into the front of your boots and your heels back in the heel pocket - not standing on your toes, right? You want your foot to stay neutral. This is not going to make your skis dive under the snow. Leaning back might keep your tips out of the snow, but you're also completely out of control and putting horrible torque on your knees. Don't do it.

Like others have said, the key to skiing powder is to realize that you are going to be going much slower because of the drag of the snow. You will have to make bigger turns and keep your skis in the fall line much more to keep your speed up and keep moving. Think about skiing like you're carving railroad tracks on a groomer. Once you're on steeper terrain, then you can make tighter turns but you have to get up to speed first.

The skiing is really the same in powder as it is on any other snow - the difference is patience. You have to find the rhythm of it to keep moving, and you have to get enough momentum or you can't turn in it at all. The problem most people have is they drop in to a powder run and immediately try to turn just like they would if it was hard packed snow and that won't work. Point your skis down the fall line, accellerate, then tip them on edge and use a little weighting/unweighting and it will all happen on it's own. Problem #2 is that people try to force turns. Instead of tipping their skis on edge and initiating a turn they try to twist their feet and force their skis to turn. This is exhausting and won't work at all in heavy snow. Skiing powder correctly is virtually effortless. You have to realize it's almost like powder skiing is in slow motion. Give it some time and it will happen - it can't be forced.

That's very helpful. I think the problem I ended up having it that like above, the powder quickly morphed into frosting on ice on the steeps.

I have been trying to focus more on keeping my shins against the boot, and having it be more of a balancing act, meaning I think I am getting a bit lower and using my butt to help keep me over the center of the ski. At least that's what it feels like I am doing.

God I hope one of my kids gets invited to compete at Copper this spring so I can really feel what it's like out there.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm horrible at understanding/describing ski techniques, but have been skiing the East since I was 5yo. And, at least here, you cannot ski powder with the same technique as you would on the conditions we've seen 95% of the days here so far. There is some type of weight redistribution when the powder does come - maybe not in UT, where you may not have conditions like is typical here (never been there, so I'm clueless...just have visions of powder perfection in my mind lol). I can't describe exactly what I do, but I definately have to put some weight back - that doesn't mean sitting back, but instead a slight shift of balance (or something?). The last few years (due to age or wisdom?) I've been taking the first couple runs to figure out conditions and adjust my balance and stance - it can vary so much from day to day (AM to PM some days).

Also, my skiis are carvers (clueless about width, but maybe 77or something? AC30s), they are not floaters...they may require adjustments different than a wider ski.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl has it right. No leaning back in powder!

Instead, think about lifting your toes, while you stay forward in your boots. This will put more pressure on the back of the ski and keep the tips up.

Powder skiing will really exaggerate any issues with stemming or stepping. The skis need to act like one ski--keep the feet closer together and think about making smooth, easy turns.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm horrible at understanding/describing ski techniques, but have been skiing the East since I was 5yo. And, at least here, you cannot ski powder with the same technique as you would on the conditions we've seen 95% of the days here so far. There is some type of weight redistribution when the powder does come - maybe not in UT, where you may not have conditions like is typical here (never been there, so I'm clueless...just have visions of powder perfection in my mind lol). I can't describe exactly what I do, but I definately have to put some weight back - that doesn't mean sitting back, but instead a slight shift of balance (or something?). The last few years (due to age or wisdom?) I've been taking the first couple runs to figure out conditions and adjust my balance and stance - it can vary so much from day to day (AM to PM some days).

Also, my skiis are carvers (clueless about width, but maybe 77or something? AC30s), they are not floaters...they may require adjustments different than a wider ski.

That's why I am saving my pennies and doing so much research because my dream is to have another pair of skis for days when we do have mush and crud. My carvers (68 or 69 waist!) are just miserable in it. That Tanya and her quiver! She makes me so jealous. She's a bad influence. :p

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been around (except for Sat, too sick to even take the lil one to RR...he terrorized the house while I loafed on the couch...luckily I had the sense to unplug the toaster oven as he filled it with water while playing at the sink..)...just not as visible at DH maybe? We usually only get a couple hours each due to the lil' guy...the luck of the draw. Yesterday I was exploring some woods with my 8yo, some fun off of Dreamaker (a mt bike trail). I was pretty much done after lunch, but had fun in the AM - kids bitched about cold, so we dropped them at NP and skiied on Risky/Amex (Risky was trail of day for me). Then I HAD to try shockwave and ran over by myself...still scratch my head over the raves about that trail...I guess I don't enjoy steep crust/ice with powder landings lol...

Have fun at SL! Supposed to be chilly this weekend...I'm dreading it.

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl has it right. No leaning back in powder!

Instead, think about lifting your toes, while you stay forward in your boots. This will put more pressure on the back of the ski and keep the tips up.

Powder skiing will really exaggerate any issues with stemming or stepping. The skis need to act like one ski--keep the feet closer together and think about making smooth, easy turns.

Yes, I guess I really confused matter by mispeaking. Powder to me is a whole different story than the west. Any fresh snow on top of our base is a cause for celebration lately.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to try a twin tip. Have been dreaming about it..but since the right conditions rarely cooincide with days I could actually demo one, it's never happened. Yesterday was a perfect day for them. A quiver would be nice...priorities, priorities...(braces...braces lol).

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The tip of toes to top of boot is what I try to do when skiing bumps - definately helps. Don't try to do it much when cruising hard pack though...that's more like "muscle, find the strength, muscle, muscle, muscle". I learned that in a great SkiPress article they had a year or so on skiing bumps (made me die to visit the Mary Jane trail some day).

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I guess I really confused matter by mispeaking. Powder to me is a whole different story than the west. Any fresh snow on top of our base is a cause for celebration lately.

Even with just 5-6" of fresh, you can still practice the same techniques. You probably notice a lot of forward/back push as the skis transition from a packed groomer area to the powder. This can really throw off your balance, so the key is to stay loose as you make the transitions to deeper snow. Keep the feet together, and make small shallow turns in the powder.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
10 inches overnight saturday in VT---Killington was AWESOME, just incredible Sunday morning!!! Sunny and super snow and snow flurries--miy favorite weather!

As a good friend and superb skiier said to me recently, "skiing is constanting adjusting to the conditions." <--right on

hav2ski

Diva in Training
Hey Toots! Here's my take on powder skiing.. I want to clarify what I meant be "weight on the back". What I was suggesting ws that you would want to balance your weight a little further back than when you are carving groomers. In other words, keep yourself more of a squat position..that will keep you more centered and help you maintain your balance.

It's importand ESPECIALLY for us here in Maine because we rarely have an ALL powder day to keep your knees and ankles flexible, keep your tips up and your your carves flat and don't try to carve too much or you'll get caught up.

It's a work in progress all the time for me. Again, specifically here in Maine because the snow consistency and depth changes so much.

BUT if you ever go to Utah, you will experience what feels like "floating on air"..

I highly recommend it!

T

altagirl

Staff member
Our fresh snow here varies from fluff so light you can brush off yor car by blowing on it to full-on cement. It all depends...

And personally - I think the thicker stuff makes it all the more important not to lean back - because it's even harder on your knees. In real champagne fluff - you can probably get away with doing whatever you want. If it's just a few inches of heavy snow - again, you can probably muscle through it. It's the thick deep stuff that will really punish you for leaning back and trying to force turns.

And the concept is the same regardless of what you're skiing on. Fat skis make it easier though! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga