• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Worst ski advice you've ever received.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had a young teen on a lift tell me I'd be fine in powder, just sit back. No thanks.

So true about how easy they are to turn now! Funny to me ... I grew up skiing on straight skis. I did fine on them, could ski parallel very well... but it has been really difficult to get away from those old habits. My instructor last week asked me what I do to turn when on skis. I found this difficult to answer, because it felt like he was asking me how I walk. I... just do it? When he had me literally just shift my weight and press my shin and... voila, I turned... I was floored. My quads were sure a lot less sore. I'd been loading and unloading my weight on turns, moving my skis, the whole lot... even after some lessons last year. Those had me doing some things differently that were helpful, but nothing so basic... :hail:

Sometimes I think I would be less sore and ski better if I just quit working so hard at it and over analyzing!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is not the point of this thread but since there have been several posts about the wedge turn, I feel compelled to comment.

The wedge turn which focuses on leg rotation to form the wedge as opposes to the “push your heels out to a wedge” does not have to be unlearned.

The proper wedge easily turns into a parallel turn.

I will happy demonstrate at Diva West 2019 for any of you who are interested.

Agree on commenting, I did not learn to ski with the pizza wedge, but did learn the 'snowplow' as we still call it. and yes, I do use the snowplow when necessary like when someone suddenly cut in front of me, tight trail if someone cuts you off, coming in fast to a lift line that gets narrow--I think sometimes it is smarter than turning sideways to stop, thus cutting off other people. It's just another 'technique' but I don't use it for normal skiing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly