• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2010/2011 Rossignol s110w

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
I was wondering if anyone has compared the Atomic Century to the Rossi S110w/S7. I have demoed the Century and really liked it.

I can get a really good deal on the 2012 S7's, but don't think I will be able to try them out before buying. My only concern with the
S7 is how well the tail does while turning in hardpack/slick conditions. The Century held up well on hardpack after the pow was skied out, but the tail is flat compared to the twin tip on the
S7.

Any thoughts????? Thanks in advance.

it's not really the twintip on the S110w that makes the difference, its the pintail. the tails are best described as "loose". they pivot instantly. its a super fun feeling. you want to change directions? Bam. Done. No thinking. you don't have to work the get the ski on edge to release the tail. some people love it (i'm one of those people, obviously), others say its "too easy".

the s110w will rail groomers, as i've said before. its not a carving ski by any means, but they are stable and smooth and hold a solid edge for people who are strong enough to muscle them around. you can carve, pivot, slash, rail, whatever you want to do on these skis.

that said, i'm interested in a comparison of the century/s110w as well. i love my s110ws, and i'm thinking about getting the centuries to use as a touring ski. i have the exact opposite concern- i'm concerned the centuries won't be as pivoty "wheee" fun as the s110ws. i might actually demo the centuries myself this weekend. i'll keep you posted if i do.

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have tried both. I own the Rossi, but would have bought the Century if I'd had the opportunity to demo both before hand.

The Rossi, in my experience, actually handles really well on the hardpack. It's one of its best features. It holds on (western) ice and simply wails on the groomers, better than the Century, which as you know is no slouch.

These are VERY different skis. The Century feels, to me, stiffer and damper, that is, more predictable. If you really liked the Century, you may not like the Rossi at all.

I was not able to ski the Century in deep snow, so I can't say how it floats. I can report that it was really good in big, choppy, rough and tumble bumps. The Rossis are soft and so good in bumps also, but I find them actually better in hardpack bumps than the kind that have a 'mix' of deep and crusty.

Most people are over the moon for the Rossis, but I would strongly counsel you to demo them first and see if they are right for you. If you decide to go for them, get bindings that you can move as the mounting point makes a huge difference and there are mixed opinions about what is best.

Rossichick

Diva in Training
Wow, thanks for all the info. I'm going to look around town for a pair of the Rossi's to demo. Here in Colorado, things get skied out pretty quickly, so I definitely need a ski that can handle powder/chop/hardpack all in the same day.

I'll post again once I can fully compare the two.

Lil' Thrill Seeker

Certified Ski Diva
Ok Diva's.....I am VERY excited to try out the S110W for the first time, TOMORROW :yahoo:

One of the shop tech's I know recommend this ski to me about a month ago and I've read sooooo many great things from you all that I can hardly wait. :drool: I recently bought a pair of BC 110Pro's I found cuz the S110W's are not available (at the price I'm willing to pay) but haven't yet mounted them as I'm not sure I want to mount at zero or -1/2

I'm just a teeny bit apprehensive because I've not skied since Feb 1 due to a knee injury. :( HOPING I encounter ZERO knee pain tomorrow....I sure want to rip or at least ski the mountain like normal.

Details to follow....

Lil' Thrill Seeker

Certified Ski Diva
Ok Diva's.....I am VERY excited to try out the S110W for the first time, TOMORROW :yahoo:
Details to follow....

Ladies, I'm in LOVE :love:

Skied the 168's. They maneuvered quickly through the steep tight trees, they handled the wind blown ice surface just fine and the morning corduroy getting to the west side, not a problem.

I did find that when I encountered going from smoother surfaces to to chowder, the ski's slowed down but I didn't. (I need the ski to power through that stuff)

SO, I had the shop mount my boot further back to -1cm and went back out.....

What a difference! The ski's ran faster and went threw the chowder no problem. I had no idea that where you mount your boot could make that much difference until I began reading some of your comments. That is why I experimented. so THANK YOU :smile:

I've been on 6 different ski's this year and I noticed this is the only ski where I had that inner excitement all day.

I am so glad for everyone's input, comments and suggestions. YOU GIRLS ROCK!

BTW- The knee gave me no trouble. It was inflamed at the end of the day but no pain! :thumbsup:

Coloradogal

Diva in Training
mounting questions...

Just bought some 2012 Womens S7s in 168! :yahoo: Does anyone have any advice on the mounting points for an alpine binding? I know Rossi has a forward mounting point for their women's skis, but have been reading all over the net about women moving their bindings back -1 to -2cm. If anyone out there has any tips, I'm listening.. I normally ski on a traditional mount and love it. Thank you!!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From what I've read here, and also from my own personal experience, I am thinking that if 168cm is around 20cm or so longer than your regular carving skis, you could mount at the recommended point (0?). If the S7s are shorter than that, go back a bit. Variables that may or may not need to be considered: your weight and how aggressively you ski. For me, the shop appears to have mounted mine at centre (0), which they said was the right place, and I've had no complaints about it. I am 5ft8 (172cm), they are 188s, compared to my 162 Nordica Victories, a difference of 26cm, and yet they don't feel long when skiing. If I had ended up with 176s, I might have considered mounting them further back. In no way am I an expert on where to mount bindings, but I do ski the Rossi S7, so take this advice however you wish.

Lil' Thrill Seeker

Certified Ski Diva
Just bought some 2012 Womens S7s in 168! :yahoo: Does anyone have any advice on the mounting points for an alpine binding? I know Rossi has a forward mounting point for their women's skis, but have been reading all over the net about women moving their bindings back -1 to -2cm. If anyone out there has any tips, I'm listening.. I normally ski on a traditional mount and love it. Thank you!!

From what I just learned; if you put the S7 side by side to the S110W, you will find the 0 marking on the S110W is above the 0 mark on the S7 therefore, mounting the S7 should be equivilent to about -1cm/2cm on the S110W

(hope that made sense)

I skied the S110W the other day set at 0. It did wondefully well in the trees/groomers but stalled in the chowder. I moved my boot back to -1cm from the 0 mark and the ski powered through the chowder and skied faster. :eyebrows:

Keep in mind if you mount too far back and you may not be able to manuver tights turns/trees very easy.

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today Alta had ~24" of fresh, dense POW .... loads of people getting stuck in drifts and deep areas. I was one of the only people floating all day long on my 178s :thumbsup:

I love this ski.

Lil' Thrill Seeker

Certified Ski Diva
From what I just learned; if you put the S7 side by side to the S110W, you will find the 0 marking on the S110W is above the 0 mark on the S7 therefore, mounting the S7 should be equivalent to about -1cm/2cm on the S110W

coloradogal....

my reference above was comparing the S110W with the (mens) S7. Sorry bout that. I wouldn't recommend -2cm but you could get away with -1cm.

btw- where'd you pick up the womens 2012's? I've only seen the men's S7 and Super7 out :noidea:

Coloradogal

Diva in Training
2012 s7

I bought them from Colorado Ski and Golf. Those guys are awesome! I mounted them up today at 0, and I'm taking them out tomorrow for there maiden voyage!! :loco:

Coloradogal

Diva in Training
Just got done skiing the S7womens. Wow!! Not only is the ski super light, but it powers through powder and rips on groomers! I would suggest this ski for intermediates to experts. I'm 5'6", 120 lbs and a strong type 2 skier and purchased the 168. Plus, there fun to look at on the lift!! :dance:

plainjane

Certified Ski Diva
Got the s110w 178 a couple weeks ago after falling in love with demo at end of last season. Had it mounted -1 at advice of local ski shop for main use powder. Immediately didn't feel centered, backseat, searching for contol and what was I thinking last year????? Gave it a couple days in different conditions including a couple feet of fresh at Alta and wasn't liking at all. Midday switched back to everyday Kiku (original) 176 which felt like a return to heaven, buyers remorse and ready to sell the s110w. Visit to ski shop and remounted at 0. Night and day,sweet spot right on and back in love. Huge difference for me with mount at 0 versus -1. The s110w are here to stay.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will do a longer review later, but I demoed several powder skis this weekend. I'm 5'2 (but fairly short inseam), 115, Level 7-8 skier. I demoed Rossignol 110 (but they only had in 159), Salomon Geisha in 164, Line Pandora in 162, and Atomic Century in 156. Of those, my clear favorite was the Atomics, and I bought a pair today. I wish they had the Rossignol 110 in a 168, but someone else had them out all day, but I think the tail rocker was throwing me off and that probably wouldn't have changed with the longer size. The Line Pandoras were fun and floaty, but the Atomics rocked on both powder and crud. They were really fast as well, and instantly made me feel like a much better skier.

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got the s110w 178 a couple weeks ago after falling in love with demo at end of last season. Had it mounted -1 at advice of local ski shop for main use powder. Immediately didn't feel centered, backseat, searching for contol and what was I thinking last year????? Gave it a couple days in different conditions including a couple feet of fresh at Alta and wasn't liking at all. Midday switched back to everyday Kiku (original) 176 which felt like a return to heaven, buyers remorse and ready to sell the s110w. Visit to ski shop and remounted at 0. Night and day,sweet spot right on and back in love. Huge difference for me with mount at 0 versus -1. The s110w are here to stay.
This is so interesting. I had the opposite experience. hated it at the 0 mark and much better at -2! Goes to show that it might be worth while getting the Schizo bindings if buying this ski so you can tweak the mounting point.

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Valli, I am very keen on learning more about your impressions of the Pandoras and Atomics.

What length Pandoras and Atomics did you ski? I loved the Pandoras but felt the 162 was a bit short (especially in spring when you have to endure the refrozen before you get the slush-pow) and the 172 would be a bit long.

How deep was the powder you tested them, and specifically, did you feel you lost much of the float in the atomics with their narrower waist, or was the wide shovel enough to keep you afloat? I loved them when i tried them, but it was basically hard pack, so i'd really like to know how they do when it's really deep.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna