• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2010/2011 Rossignol s110w

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only question is - 159 or 168?! I'm leaning towards 168 even though I'm 5'1", 97 lbs., since everyone says go BIG and my daily driver is the 156 Kenja, unless many wise voices tell me no, go 159 :D

168 for sure! I demo'd the 159 and they felt too short, and didn't float as well as I thought they should. You're a bit lighter than me so you might not have the same float issues, but if your regular skis are 156cm then the 159 will feel way too short for you.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only question is - 159 or 168?! I'm leaning towards 168 even though I'm 5'1", 97 lbs., since everyone says go BIG and my daily driver is the 156 Kenja, unless many wise voices tell me no, go 159 :D

168 for sure! I demo'd the 159 and they felt too short, and didn't float as well as I thought they should. You're a bit lighter than me so you might not have the same float issues, but if your regular skis are 156cm then the 159 will feel way too short for you.

B

B.E.G.

Good to know - thanks! I would just hate to not have the full awesome effect of these great powder skis by skiing them too short, but I also apparently need to recalibrate my mental perception of myself, in which I am quite a few inches taller than I actually am! :laugh:

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They ski really short. I demoed them in a 159 and they felt wiggly and didn't have enough float, but the Atomic Century in 156 felt fine by comparison.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good to know - thanks! I would just hate to not have the full awesome effect of these great powder skis by skiing them too short, but I also apparently need to recalibrate my mental perception of myself, in which I am quite a few inches taller than I actually am! :laugh:

It dawned on me that length also changes turn radius. Here is an example using the S80W that is 120-80-108 in the 160. Even on the Rossi website, can't find the stats for all the different lengths for all models.

Lgth Radius
155 11.3
160 12.8
165 13.1
170 14.1

I guess that means there is more than one reason that making tight turns in trees is easier on shorter skis than longer.

G Hoodie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wanted to add on - one more Diva who is picking up the S110!! Your reviews were a big reason I looked into this ski. I've been looking for them since I demo'd in mid-Feb. Sold out in a 178 everywhere. Then, today, April Fool's Day, I looked on a whim... and there they were! Couldn't believe it! Ordered on the spot. They are already sold out again tonight. Can't wait to get these sticks mounted w/ bindings and up on the mountain. Maybe we'll have another pow day before the end of the year??
Thanks again for all the feedback on these skis ladies!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wanted to check back in on this review. I had my second great weekend on my S110W's. Those of you gals on my facebook know that I'm absolutely head over heels for these babies, so I thought I'd share with the rest of Diva community ....

Ladies. Rossignol did it. They have hit the nail on the head for the best women's big mountain ski of all time.

Saturday, I was treated to a fantastic bluebird pow day at Deer Valley. I skied all day, powder to groomer outruns and these skis did every single little thing I asked them to. I made big, long, fast pow turns. Shorter, carved turns on the groomers. Skied the aspen glades, making quicker pow turns between the trees. And they plowed through the moguls and the skied out areas without even flinching. I could not find one thing that these skis didn't respond to. Yes, they're a heavier ski, and I felt my legs by the end of the day -- but that was the best hurt post skiing I've ever felt because I have never, in all my years of skiing, felt so awesome about a ski.

Rossignol is going to have to rename the S110W to "The Diva," since I think we're all going to own a pair by the end of the season. :thumbsup:
I skied the S110W, but only for a brief ski test and it wasn't in its ideal conditions. I could mosdef see how it would be at home in deep deep snow, but the one thing I noticed is that I had to stay perfectly balanced or it had a sensation of wheeling out.
I later demo'd the DPS Yvette, which has very similar shape and dim's, but with slightly different camber. I was fortunate enough to ski the Yvette in deep deep snow, in fact, I skied it on three different days in different types of deep snow ranging from sierra powder to fluffy powder, and I never got the same wheeling sensation I got from the Rossi S110w.
Is it possible that the Rossi doesn't get that sensation in deeper snow?
I really want to try these again when the conditions are better for it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the S110W, but only for a brief ski test and it wasn't in its ideal conditions. I could mosdef see how it would be at home in deep deep snow, but the one thing I noticed is that I had to stay perfectly balanced or it had a sensation of wheeling out.
I later demo'd the DPS Yvette, which has very similar shape and dim's, but with slightly different camber. I was fortunate enough to ski the Yvette in deep deep snow, in fact, I skied it on three different days in different types of deep snow ranging from sierra powder to fluffy powder, and I never got the same wheeling sensation I got from the Rossi S110w.
Is it possible that the Rossi doesn't get that sensation in deeper snow?
I really want to try these again when the conditions are better for it.

What do you mean by "wheeling out"?

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
^^^interested in this definition as well, as I'm thinking she means the pivoty tail, which is one of my favorite things about this ski. to me, it's a (really, really, really) fun feeling, you can pivot on the tails and dump speed at will, but i can understand how a more traditional skier might not like it.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you mean by "wheeling out"?
I mean going back on the rockered tail, like riding a wheelie on a bike.

Sometimes this can be a bit fun on a powder ski but some times it can be tough to recover from.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean going back on the rockered tail, like riding a wheelie on a bike.

Sometimes this can be a bit fun on a powder ski but some times it can be tough to recover from.

I'm skiing the S3s and I've had this happen couple of times as well. I wondered if a longer length would help as they feel SO short.

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For height/weight comparison if you're looking at this ski, I have the 2012 S7w, 178cm. I'm 5'5" and my weight ranges between 135-142lbs My everyday ski is a 165cm Line Celebrity.

The extra length made a big difference, my friends noticed I was much better. I felt very stable on steeps, I was much better in trees and bumps than my Celebrity's. I did need to muscle them on hard pack and was glad I put the extra leg work in at the gym....this ain't no "girlie" ski.

Oh one other thing, the comments from "a few" men have been extra annoying "how long are those" 178 ":eek:" "you don't need skis that long" etc... I just :rolleyes: and walk away.

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every time I think back to which skis are my favourite (S3-159cm, S110W-168cm, S7W-178cm), while I was skiing each of them the ones on my feet were my favourites. So my recommendation is buy one in each size :smile:)))). Think i'm going to ski Australia this year just so my skis don't feel abandoned!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna