• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2010/2011 Rossignol s110w

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also felt like I was in between sizes on the Pandora, and the 162 felt slightly long for me, but I'm 5'2. I may just have been reacting to the width, since 115 is a really wide ski for someone my size. We had deep powder (eight feet total at Squaw), and the Pandoras were really fun in the powder and fine on the groomers. I had a grin the entire time I was skiing them, and it felt like they were inviting me to find the deepest patches of powder. My husband followed me and got stuck. I tried the Atomics in a 156, but they don't have a tail rocker so they don't ski particularly short. The Atomics floated beautifully in the deep powder, and the rocker tip keeps them from diving. The Atomics had the edge in tree skiing and tighter turns, but also powered through the piled up crud and moguls. They have the rocker tip and are easy to turn, but are stiffer underfoot, so I could see skiing them more days. The pandoras were a lot of fun but just didn't have as much pop as the Atomics. For me, the Atomics were the "hero" ski that you read about that instantly makes you feel like you could ski anything.

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Took mu Rossi S3's and Rosi S110W's out for the first time the other day and couldn't be happier!!

The S3's were great, took them out on the first day we arrived at Whistler. Excellent in the conditions (which was no new snow but no ice) they handled the groomers really well, went really well through crud and managed to find a few powder staches to try them out in as well. Big tick from me.

The next day I took out the S110W's, not the conditions they were made for, but still skiied fantastically. I think we had maybe 3cm overnight when I tried them. Yesterday I took out S110W's again, this time in the the conditions they were meant for. They were amazing in powder, absolutely brilliant in any chopped up cruddy surface and screamed down the groomers. I learn't how to do flat 360 degree spins, so easy with these skis which I couldn't do last year on my scratches, this year I just tried and got it straight away. These skis are so much fun, i'm heading out with an instructor in a few days to work on my powder technique....can't wait :smile:

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So for the past two days i've been skiing the 178cm Rossi S7w. I thought they were going to be too big for me as I usually ski 155cm ski but the 178 fet like they were made to order. I took the peak chair up the top of Whistler expecting to go dwn peak to creek, but it was temp closed (could still ski it but no rescue) everyone was going that way so we decided to ski the saddle instead. It was a bit icy up top but then opened up into over a foot of completely untracked powder. What a fantastic run to test out these skis!! This is what these skis were made for....Amazing! I had the biggest grin on my face the whole way down. After that we skiied bear paw, raven, ptarmigan. The runs were quite tracked out but the skis just took it all in their stride.

If you are tempted by these skis, don't be afraid to go BIG!!!

dowde

Certified Ski Diva
I'm totally sold on these skis being my next purchase. I've been fiendishly reading all of the specs on these beauties, drool everytime I see them on the slopes and am mesmerized. Currently I'm riding on last year's Volkl Cosmos (which I am really enjoying) @ 169. So if I'm 5'9"--A 178 wouldn't be too big? Perhaps I should go torture myself, and browse today!

:jealous:<--of all of you who have skied or own these skis.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So if I'm 5'9"--A 178 wouldn't be too big?

No No No! It wouldn't be too big, but it could well be too small! I'm shorter than you, 5ft8 and a bit, and I ski the the 188 (or is it 186?). It is NOT too long. And I am not a gun skier. My other ski is a 162 Nordica Victory, and the S7 feels no longer. The S7/s110w/Mumbo Jumbo SKIS VERY SHORT!

Disclaimer: Unless you are very lightweight, or cautious etc. In which case the 178 might be fine. But I think, at your height, you will be surprised how easy you find the 188 to ski.

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm totally sold on these skis being my next purchase. I've been fiendishly reading all of the specs on these beauties, drool everytime I see them on the slopes and am mesmerized. Currently I'm riding on last year's Volkl Cosmos (which I am really enjoying) @ 169. So if I'm 5'9"--A 178 wouldn't be too big? Perhaps I should go torture myself, and browse today!

I'm 5'4-5" and about 120-125lbs and I thought the 168cm was the perfect length .....until I tried the 178cm!!!! I would demo the 178cm and then the 188cm if I were you.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I skied these today at Steamboat in a few inches of fresh powder that got tracked out as the day went on. And to be honest, I didn't expect to like them. I've never been much for Rossi's. Okay, so I was mistaken. I'm a convert. Alta_gal83 was right -- these skis go through the cut up stuff like butter, and simply glide through the powder. As an east coast skier, I don't think these would be the right ski for me. We just don't get that much deep stuff (even though it dumped in VT today), and I'd like something that can handle the hard pack a bit better than these can. These aren't that great on it. Still, for a western skier looking for a ski that can handle the pow, you can't go wrong with the S110.

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
hahahahaha.

general themes in this thread:
1. these skis are awesome
2. get a bigger size than you think you should
3. these skis are awesome
4. get a bigger size than you think you should
5. these skis are awesome

just thought i'd sum it up for all y'all. :D

again, 5'3'', 125, ripping the 176s. after 25 days, i'm still head over heels for mine. they are the perfect do-absolutely-everything-with-a-bias-towards-powder resort ski for west coast skiers. they have 100% replaced my 163 auras inbounds. i do not miss my auras. ever. not at all.

Mango_teles

Diva in Training
Anyone tele on these?? I'm about to buy the new '12 S7 and put hammerheads on em, but I'd love to hear a review before dropping $800 on em!

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm seriously considering picking up these skis after reading all the rave reviews. I tried skiing some powder today on my Fischer Koa 75's and it was fairly disastrous! I'm 5'2" 120lbs and a new skier (been skiing approx 6 weeks). So far I'm pretty confident I can ski all the blues on the mountain at Northstar & Heavenly (though I understand these are "easier" mountains), and I'll tackle some easier blacks too if they've been groomed. I'm working on carving my turns properly and (I think) making good progress. Would these skis be too much to handle? I'd love to go cruising through the trees in search of powder, but my Fischers just can't hack it without me leaning waaay back (which throws off my turning). My Fischers are length 150 and I've been having a blast on them! Would you suggest I looked at the 168 or 178 length in the s110w? Or just wait until I'm a better skiier? I'm making progress and I don't want to get owned by my skis!

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd recommend the 168. You might have a tough time on steeper groomers, but on everything else you will be able to enjoy right away or grow into. get some lessons on them so you know how to manoever them properly if you feel out of your element. Keep in mind these are a powder ski primarily, but they perform really well in most conditions for more advanced skiers. do you have a chance to demo them where you are? are they available to buy still? they are sold out in many areas especially at the length you are looking for.

Coloradogal

Diva in Training
ski length

I am 5'6" and 125 lbs. I have been skiing on the 168 for a couple weeks. I can't imagine skiing on the 178. I ski in tight trees and technical boulder fields and feel that the 178 would be way too much work. I think I'm pretty aggressive. (Maybe your all super sick on your boards) :eyebrows: Maybe in a wide open face or a massive spine or tree-less pillow line? I guess I just don't get it... The skis are amazing. Pure perfection. I couldn't be happier! I guess my best advice would be to demo demo demo and don't let the ego get the best of ya, cause there not cheap!! Much love ladies!! Ski hard!!!:becky:

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm seriously considering picking up these skis after reading all the rave reviews. I tried skiing some powder today on my Fischer Koa 75's and it was fairly disastrous! I'm 5'2" 120lbs and a new skier (been skiing approx 6 weeks). So far I'm pretty confident I can ski all the blues on the mountain at Northstar & Heavenly (though I understand these are "easier" mountains), and I'll tackle some easier blacks too if they've been groomed. I'm working on carving my turns properly and (I think) making good progress. Would these skis be too much to handle? I'd love to go cruising through the trees in search of powder, but my Fischers just can't hack it without me leaning waaay back (which throws off my turning). My Fischers are length 150 and I've been having a blast on them! Would you suggest I looked at the 168 or 178 length in the s110w? Or just wait until I'm a better skiier? I'm making progress and I don't want to get owned by my skis!

@mahgnillig, I like how you're stoked to try this ski after only being on skis for six weeks. My advice to you is to demo these before picking them up. Although you're shredding the blues and trying out the blacks, these skis are not an intermediate level ski, and I don't think you'd get the full use out of them until you're actually comfortable on the blacks, and you know how to make the ski react and do what you want it to, versus letting it do what it wants to do. I'd hate for you to try these on your first black diamond experiences, and not enjoy the fact that you're shredding a black!

A better option may be to try out the S86W, which is the next ski down in the collection, 86 at the waist (11mm fatter than your current), but enough to float you in your first POW stashes and enough side cut to rally on the groomers.

You definitely don't have to take my advice, but I just think this ski may be a little too much for your first year on sticks. Either way, congrats lady on being ready to tackle the big stuff only already!

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A better option may be to try out the S86W, which is the next ski down in the collection, 86 at the waist (11mm fatter than your current), but enough to float you in your first POW stashes and enough side cut to rally on the groomers.

I think the s90w would be a good option too, as it still has the twin tip, and is quite soft. Floats really well, carves easy, but gets you used to a bit of a wider ski.

mtnbikegirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 5'6" and 125 lbs. I have been skiing on the 168 for a couple weeks. I can't imagine skiing on the 178. I ski in tight trees and technical boulder fields and feel that the 178 would be way too much work. I think I'm pretty aggressive. (Maybe your all super sick on your boards) :eyebrows: Maybe in a wide open face or a massive spine or tree-less pillow line? I guess I just don't get it... The skis are amazing. Pure perfection. I couldn't be happier! I guess my best advice would be to demo demo demo and don't let the ego get the best of ya, cause there not cheap!! Much love ladies!! Ski hard!!!:becky:

I'm 5'2, 110 and I went with the shorter size 159. When I do above tree line skiing, I spend 50% on open glades and 50% on steep tree lines to get back to the lift. As much as I like riding a longer ski on the open lines, I needed something I could whip around in the deep powder in the trees and the size I got seems to work really well for that.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried Armada JJ last week. They have somewhat similar shape to Rossi, though not exactly. They are awesome skis that made me feel like a powder expert - which I am not! So much fun to ski that it should be illegal! The rocker is huge - I skied them in 175 and the effective edge was about 5" in front and 5" behind the bindings, with regular camber underfoot. Ridiculously easy to turn and to put on edge when it was needed. Indeed, it's enough to think about turning and they are already there. E-f-f-o-r-t-l-e-s-s. The turn radius is about 12m at 175 - I'd never skied the ski with such a small radius before, even my beginner carvers had about 14m. I understand now why you all were saying to go longer with this type of ski. I wasn't planning to get another pair of skis, but if I find them really cheap I may get them purely for powder - in whichever length will be available for less money. Trees are not an issue as where we have some they are not tight at all. This ski truly rocks, as I was skiing on it I wished the run was endless! I could only do one descent as to find powder my instructor took me to the other side of the valley and I am so glad she convinced me to get rockers for that day! But 1200 vertical m was still the best powder run in my life so far. I felt like singing on the way back .. - I probably was as well:smile::smile:

I am 5'6" and I don't think I would want it any shorter than 175. Well, that's the shortest length it comes in anyway, but it would be impossible on hardpack at the shorter length, and we had to ski it all the way back. I seriously think that this ski was way easier to ski then my Aura at 163.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied these today at Steamboat in a few inches of fresh powder that got tracked out as the day went on. And to be honest, I didn't expect to like them. I've never been much for Rossi's. Okay, so I was mistaken. I'm a convert. Alta_gal83 was right -- these skis go through the cut up stuff like butter, and simply glide through the powder. As an east coast skier, I don't think these would be the right ski for me. We just don't get that much deep stuff (even though it dumped in VT today), and I'd like something that can handle the hard pack a bit better than these can. These aren't that great on it. Still, for a western skier looking for a ski that can handle the pow, you can't go wrong with the S110.

But what if you found a great deal? :smile: I am the same, we had the driest winter in 60 years, and when we had last snowfall my Auras served me well in powder. But I tried Armada JJ and while I don't want to pay the full price, I will be watching every shop at the resort as the season moving towards the end, and won't think twice if I find it cheap. I actually thought that it handled hardpack no worse than Aura. Won't take it into moguls as I suck there and need a shorter ski until I am good, but there are no moguls on powder days:smile:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

They might be a bit too short..:smile: I tried Armada JJ that belongs to the same mix at 175. They felt much shorter than my old carvers at 156, the effective edge reminded me of the snowblades. I'd never turned tighter and faster and had never thought I could do it like that.

B

B.E.G.

I'm with ya! I want these next year. WANT. :laugh:

Like you, I'm a new skier with about 14-15 days under my belt for my first season. I don't think I'll get them now (unless I find a great deal) but for Tahoe next season, I totally want them. The new S7W also looks fab.

The only question is - 159 or 168?! I'm leaning towards 168 even though I'm 5'1", 97 lbs., since everyone says go BIG and my daily driver is the 156 Kenja, unless many wise voices tell me no, go 159 :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna