• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

You're not going to believe this, but...

Oy vay!

When I was younger, I thought yoga was boring and couldn't understand why people do it. Now I know that it's a necessary part of staying limber and flexible!

A few years I did a somersault with my friend's daughter and got such bad vertigo that I was dizzy for the rest of the afternoon. That was depressing!

TSB, hope you heal up soon and find some other fun things to occupy yourself this Winter!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man. Ouch and bwaaahaaaa, all at the same time. It sucks getting old, doesn't it????

Heal up soon and well!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, some good news! Turns out the ER nurse told me the wrong thing...it's NOT my metatarsals, it's my toes!!! (She must have meant my toes, but as we had been discussing metatarsals a few minutes before said that by mistake.)

My ortho still wants to see me (on Friday) because one of the toes is crooked (oh, I'm not looking forward to what he may do), but at least it's not the foot, but the toes. This will heal ever so much faster!

And Pinto, that is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard. You divas certainly know how to make people laugh!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, if you've got to have some bad news, at least maybe this is the lesser of the 2 evils?? Yeah, dr is probably going to want to splint/straighten the one toe, no way to actually "set" these. (much childhood experience/mishap here) Keep us updated, hang in there!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Somehow I missed this until now. Sorry to hear about the injury, glad to hear it's gonna be a quicker road to recovery than initially anticipated, and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
Youch - that has got to hurt! I would have done the same thing...Well at least you did it in the summer and have the ski season to look forward to. Hope you have some good books to read. Keep your chin up!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw my orthopedic on Friday. If I were him, I would have laughed at me, but he was very gracious...didn't razz me once about my stupidity. In fact, he tested the strength on my left side and thought my shoulder is doing really well. :D

They took some new films and I now see the breaks. I broke three proximal phalanges. The third and fourth aren't that bad, but the second is clearly somewhat displaced. We had a three minute conversation about doing surgery (not what I wanted to hear), but he said he wouldn't guarantee it would make it any better, and the trauma to the tendons etc. really wasn't worth it. He said if it was his toe he would buddy tape it to the big toe and live with it. I told him, "sounds good to me," and so my toes are taped together.

I see him again in three weeks.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good to hear that the "fix" hasn't really changed in (let's not discuss how many) years. I've been there and done this, and it's really okay.

One thing to watch for, based on my experience, is that the toe doesn't "rotate,", i.e., twist, as mine did (in the healing process). It really isn't the end of the world - mine doesn't hurt at all, but it looks goofy -- and any time there is twisting, it affects the centering of the nail, which in turn makes the nail extremely prone to ingrowing. And that can be a real nuisance.

It does take years and years for the problem to develop, though - I was a kid (12?) when my fracture happened. The other issue didn't begin to develop until I was 40ish.

Good luck, and take care of it - was really glad to hear that the other breaks were more minimal. Taping method is a much more livable fix, for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna