• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

You're not going to believe this, but...

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to a wedding in Chicago over the weekend and my DH and I stayed with my cousin in Denver Sunday night on the way back home. He has two young daughters, the older of which is just getting into gymnastics. We were playing in the living room when they both decided to do headstands, so I joined them. I then asked them if they could do handstands and the younger of the two said, "what's that?" Okay, I'm NOT 16 anymore (nor even 30) so I should have known better, but said, "I'll show you."

This was even more stupid considering I've still got a weak left shoulder from my injury last winter. Well, as you've probably guessed, the minute I went up, I came down...hard. My shoulder was simply too weak to support my weight. And when I came down my left foot slammed against the coffee table. It was pretty obvious from the sound, and the look of my second toe, I'd probably broken something, so off we went to the emergency room. Being the complete over-achiever I am when it comes to breaking bones, I'd broken not one, not two, but three metatarsals...#2, #3 and #4.

So, it looks my summer activities are pretty much done with for the next couple of months.

What do I have against the left side of my body? :wink:

Geez...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You're right -- unbelievable.

But you'll be okay for ski season, right???? :becky:

Wishing you fast healing.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if I should laugh or sob. I feel terrible for you, yet you described the event so well, I can't help but chuckle at the thought of, "yup, I'd have totally done that"

Heal well and get back out there!!!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The silver lining in this is I WILL be back on my feet by ski season. I dropped the films from the emergency room off at my orthopedic's office yesterday, and I expect to see him in the next couple of days, but I've broken this foot before (20 years ago), and I do recall it takes about eight weeks before you're able to really walk on it again.

And yes, my climbing career is over for a while. I think I'll get very misty when I get the big package I ordered from Black Diamond last week. I told hubby I'd belay for him, as long as no hiking to the wall is required!

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know if I should laugh or sob. I feel terrible for you, yet you described the event so well, I can't help but chuckle at the thought of, "yup, I'd have totally done that"

SnowHot,

I sobbed (not because of pain, but because I was SO pissed off at myself and because I've now lost my summer), but then I couldn't help but laugh. And yup, I think many of us have been right there...I really should learn my body doesn't do the same things it used to!

Jilly

Staff member
Like SnowHot, been there, done that, laugh, cry whatever. Stay off it and heal fast. Just think now you can get DH to be waiter, porter, whatever. You can't walk on that!! Enjoy!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like SnowHot, been there, done that, laugh, cry whatever. Stay off it and heal fast. Just think now you can get DH to be waiter, porter, whatever. You can't walk on that!! Enjoy!

One more vote for empathy ... I messed up my neck something good while demonstrating a somersault for my toddler some years back ... get better fast!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, I am so sorry! But, glad to hear you'll be good to go for ski season. Take care of yourself. Or better yet, make DH take care of you.

abc

Banned
"over-achiever"! It's good to know yourself well.

Heal fast, and do whatever neccessary rehab religiously so you don't have more injuries!

I really should learn my body doesn't do the same things it used to!
I went through that stage in my 30's. The trick to get out of it is two fold: (though it's easier said than done)

1) avoid injury, failing that, give it time to heal -- older body don't heal as fast
2) work out as hard as time allows, including flexibility exercise. That would help to achieve 1

The first part is the hardest. For a while I had injury after injury after injury, because I never allow the first to heal properly before jumping into something.

Due to the less than perfect condition of the previous injury, it doesn't take much to cause the second injury, which usually means a limit to work out some part of the body. The reduced exercise means a whole part of that body is in a weaken state, which means it's suseptable to more injuries... there goes the cycle.

I still don't heal as fast as in my teen's (we can't), but I'm now in better overall physical condition than in my 20's. So I can go all out without worrying too much about injuries.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still haven't learned any lessons @ my age!:rolleyes:

Get better soon!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch! That has got to hurt! Man, I swear like a sailor when I simply stub my toe. :mad2:

overthehilldiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I once broke a finger cleaning up after a puppy pee'd on the carpet and I was in a rush to take one of my kids to some kind of practice.....
and then of course tearing my ACL at 63 on a blue (embarassing!!) even if it was icy.
Hope you heal quickly!
Jane

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I once broke a finger cleaning up after a puppy pee'd on the carpet and I was in a rush to take one of my kids to some kind of practice.....

Well, this is close: when I was about 12, I broke my finger, well, picking a wedgie. Back then, there were no women's soccer shorts, and we got the men's kind that had the little underwear in them. Usually we cut the liner out, but these were brand new and I hadn't done it yet.

So, during a game, the liner started creeping up ... I was running down the field and stuck my finger in my shorts to tug it back down, and somehow got my finger twisted up in the elastic. OW!

Finally got it x-rayed, and sure enough I had messed up a ligament and pulled a piece of bone off the side of my knuckle. I was too embarrassed at the time to explain how it happened ("uh, in a soccer game"), but now I just laugh.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bad luck! But it is a funny story - thanks.

Broken toes are painful indeed, and hurt right up until the sixth week when you never believe you'll be OK ever again, and then as if by magic it gets much better really fast. You'll be fine and dandy in your ski boots.

PS - this summer you're probably better sticking to the ground.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto----now THAT's ORIGINAL, OMG.

I am knocking on wood [knocks on wood], I have never broken anything, just a bruise by riding on the back of a bike and my little toe went into the spokes.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch! That has got to hurt! Man, I swear like a sailor when I simply stub my toe. :mad2:
Me too!!!!:redface:

Pinto, you're cracking me up!

We have a great bunch of divas here to help laugh through the tears.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:Cry: :eek: :mad2:

Oh boy......and after all you endured last winter....

Well, if they say bad things come in 3's, and 3 metatarsals are involved here.......you are DONE with stuff like this happening???

Sending healing wishes your way.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna