• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your skiing soundtrack

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, borrowed this one from Epic, but wanted to see what you ladies have running through your heads when you're on the slopes.

Do you talk to yourself, sing to yourself? I'm talking when you get really in it and get yourself lost in the beauty and rhythm of movement.

I happened to get an Ani song stuck in my head a few years ago, and now this is what I have in my head when I am just grooving it with the snow. The rhythm works well too and the song makes me feel like I am invincible.

I walk in stride with people
much taller than me
and partly its the boots but
mostly it's my Chi
and I'm becoming transfixed with nature and my part in it
which i believe just signifies
i'm finally growing up

and that moth outside my kitchen door
she's bonkers for that big bulb
flying round in circles
bashing in her exoskeleton
and out in the woods she navigates fine by the moon
but get her around a lightbulb and she's doomed

blah blah etc and then there's my favorite line which i like to think to myself when i'm doing fun short turns...

so i walk like i'm on a mission
cause thats way i groove
i got more and more to do
and less and less to prove
it took me too long to realize
that i don't take good pictures
cause i have the kinda beauty that

moves
:ski2:

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday, I had "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" in my head for the entire day! I almost had to COMMIT myself - it drove me absolutely nuts!

But, no, I don’t usually sing on the slopes. I like to hear my skis cut through the snow & ice that’s music to my ears.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love listening to music while I skin. I'm not a big fan of music while skiing down, since I like to be aware of my surroundings and talk on the lift, etc.

Here are some of my most recent faves for backcountry skinning:

Madonna - Confessions on a Dancefloor (for those who know me, this is WAY out of character, but that album gets me grooving while I'm working my butt off!)

Coldplay - X & Y (don't know exactly what it is, but Coldplay and beautiful snowy scenery just go hand-in-hand)

Incubus - anything (they ROCK and the lyrics are captivating. Plus the thought of Brandon Boyd makes me happy :love: )

Foo Fighters - anything (see Incubus, but insert Dave Grohl :thumbsup: )

Only the breeze of the wind in my ears and the blowing of the trees....and the sound of snow under my skis! That's it! Beautiful symphony of nature, really!

Every now and then, Rocky Mountain High (by John Denver) will slip in there! You just can't help but hum that when skiing in Colorado! :D

I love listening to music while I skin. I'm not a big fan of music while skiing down, since I like to be aware of my surroundings and talk on the lift, etc.

Here are some of my most recent faves for backcountry skinning:

Madonna - Confessions on a Dancefloor (for those who know me, this is WAY out of character, but that album gets me grooving while I'm working my butt off!)

Coldplay - X & Y (don't know exactly what it is, but Coldplay and beautiful snowy scenery just go hand-in-hand)

Incubus - anything (they ROCK and the lyrics are captivating. Plus the thought of Brandon Boyd makes me happy :love: )

Foo Fighters - anything (see Incubus, but insert Dave Grohl :thumbsup: )

I have all of those bands on my "skiing" playlist on my iPod. I also like Beck, Oasis, Seal, Smashmouth, Sweatshop Union, Michael Franti, and Sneaker Pimps for skiing!

lindseyinalaska

Certified Ski Diva
I sometimes listen to my mp3 player but don't have a set list just whatever it plays on suffle. I love the song Couple of Friends by Bryon Friedmen (U.S. Skier/singer) its about skiing! If I don't have my mp3 player I sing whatevers in my head (not outloud, maybe i should and control crowds that way....) sometimes though I shout random swears when the snow suprises me....

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't use portable music because I prefer to be aware of what's going on around me but... If I'm lucky to be almost alone on a trail (more often in Colorado than here in the NorthEast), I enjoy listening to my skis moving through the snow, the breeze blowing through the trees, the birds, etc.

However, if I'm having trouble establishing a rhythm, sometimes I'll start the U2 song "She Moves In Mysterious Ways" in my head - seems appropriate somehow. :wink:

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with NVG & snowdancer. I love listening to the snow, the trees, etc.

But, that being said, every so once in a while certain songs, etc get stuck in my head.

When I'm coming down to base and there is a lot of other skiers/boarders that I need to avoid, I start making the "Frogger" sounds. Yep, that would be the old video game.

One very compatable group that I ski with...and if we look really good together, say in a deep, powder bowl or in the trees or even really good formation that we naturally fall into on a groomer..then the theme song from "Mission Impossible".:clap:

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sometimes it's just random song that get stuck in my head . . . but i love listening to funky folk (love the ani!) when i ski.

my favs are xavier rudd (especially the song "this is how i like to play"), the bills, hey ocean, and a fun bluegrass mix i have.

happy skiing!!!!!!!!!!

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite song for skiing is AC/DC - Thunderstruck, then Heart - Barracuda. My MP3 player is mostly AC/DC, Bob Seger, Lynard Skynard, and Eagles. But I don't use it if the slopes are busy. thre is nothing better than screaming down Vails back bowls on a weekday listening to AC/DC.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
No music here either, as I have a childhood hearing loss in one ear and need the other one to be 100% aware of what's around me. I do, however, talk to myself, sometimes loud enough that people look at me :laugh: When I'm on something that's getting tough, an expression always comes back to me: "The secret of expert skiing is being able to turn where you want, when you want." So sometimes I am prone to saying out loud "WHERE you want, WHEN you want," especially in more challenging moguls.

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I received an ipod for Christmas last year and decided to try it out over the weekend while skiing at Liberty. I listen to a wide range of music, however Dolly Dagger by Jimmi Hendrix helped me stay in a kick a$$ mood even though there were only 2 small trails to ski on.

If I am skiing with others I don't think I would listen to music, but since I was alone I felt it was ok to have one earbud in.:yahoo:

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going up on the lift my kids sing the SpongeBob theme.-Arrrgh! But when I'm alone I always have a Brian Setzer Orchestra Song or something from Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy running... I call it "Ya Ya" music!

Ok....I found myself humming the Spice Girls "Tell me whatcha want whatcha really realy want........" the other day on the slopes! Perhaps my obsession with POSH! :doh:

I find myself paying more attention to my soundtracks since this posting! :D

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't listen to music while out on the slopes, but I do have a playlist on my Ipod which I like to listen to before I go out, a whole mix of stuff, some favourites from ski moves, and others that just wind me up, among them:

Nothing else matters - Metallica
White Room - Eric Clapton
Pure Morning - Placebo
Gravity - Superjesus
Get Free - The Vines
Rip it Up - 28 Days
Step Back - Superheist
Amen - Falling Joys
In Gods Country - U2
Guerilla Radio - Rage Against the Machine
Points of Authority - Linkin Park
Foo Fighters - No way back, DOA, Learn to Fly, Generator
Epic - Faith no More

My personal song with my favourite ski buddy - Follow you Down by the Gin Blossoms:

Did you see the sky
I think it means that we've been lost
Maybe one less time is all we need
I cant really help it if my tongues all tied in knots
Jumping off of bridges, its just the farthest that I've ever been
Anywhere you go, I'll follow you down
Anyplace but those I know by heart
I'll follow you down, but not that far
I know we're headed somewhere, I can see how far we've come
But still I can't remember anything
Lets not do the wrong thing and I swear it might be fun
Its a long way down when all the knots we've tied have come undone
Anyplace but those I know by heart
I'll follow you down, but not that far
How you gonna ever find your place
Running in an artificial pace
Are they gonna find us lying face down in the sand
So what the hell now, we've already been forever damned
Anywhere you go I'll follow you down..

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I'm a one-ear iPod skier. I have tons of stuff on my iPod and found lots of it was not ski-worthy. I listen to everything...but I find hip hop (Beastie Boys & such), Reggae, and really hard rock & roll to get me going.

However, when I ski with friends I tend to shut off the music. My boyfriend's hootin & hollerin on the slopes is inspiration enough. Plus, in some terrain...music can be downright dangerous.

shelbyr

Certified Ski Diva
On my ipod, under "skiing" playlist, you will find lots of Coldplay and Jack Johnson. I just started skiing to music about 2 years ago, and I think it's a lot of fun! It gets me in a rythym. :ski2:

sitronella

Diva in Training
I always seem to hear "boys want to be her" with Peaches in my head everytime it gets steep or tricky. Gives me some extra pump when I need it. :thumbsup:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm one of those crazies who doesn't ski with an ipod, but still has a skiing soundtrack. Yep, it plays in my head. Totally agree with tradygirl about coldplay. Also high up on the list: Radius, The Pixies, Masta Ace, Dandy Warhols, Dilla. The Blues Brothers soundtrack makes it's way in a decent amount, as does the Shrek 2 soundtrack, odd as that may sound.

So how many of you guys sing along while skiing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga