• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your skiing soundtrack

sitronella

Diva in Training
I sing a long occantionally! or at least hum along. And I never use an iPod either. It's all voices in my head... :loco:

It's really funny when you realize what you're doing.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an mp3 skier but occasionally get the following songs stuck in my head and sing along with myself....

Who Let the Dogs Out - Bahama Men
Into the Ocean - Blue October

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not listen to music while I ski, mostly because I forget to take it with me... But I'm one of those singing loudly when I ski or work or run or... No matter what is stuck in my head... Music varies from children songs to hip hop and r'n'b and jazz and rock and pop, and mostly everything...

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
when we go to th lift it's mostly reggea we listen to in the car. but sometimes i'm one of the on-ear-ipod-skier and listen to the the following:

this cellulloid dream - afi
leave us alone - gentleman
cally man - slightly stoopid
wolf like me - tv on the radio (favourite the whole season):clap:
mr. brigthside - the killers
killing in the name of - rage against the machine
city of angels - the distillers
rebellion (lies) - the arcade fire
air - sparta
lover i don't have to love - bright eyes
slayed - overseer
jah gringo - martin jondo
harmonic - unwritten law
waiting room - fugazi
lating thugs (reggeaton remix) - cypres hill
word up - willis
kryptonite - 3 doors down

further i love to listen to incubus, the sounds, flogging molly and some austrian/german stuff

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel kinda fuddy duddy, but my favourite skiing song at the moment is Shostakovich Waltz No. 2 -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6gdN3ur5AQ"]YouTube - Richard Yongjae O'Neill-Shostakovich : Jazz Suite No.2-Waltz[/ame]

i sing to myself (in my head i think - but mebbe out loud who knows :laugh: ) - it's a great one for long swooping blues & reds.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I
When I'm coming down to base and there is a lot of other skiers/boarders that I need to avoid, I start making the "Frogger" sounds. Yep, that would be the old video game.
:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
I haven't seen the Wii ski game yet, but someone needs to make this a video game: skiing down a slope full of obstacles AND people who are turning unpredictably in front of you, or falling in front of you, etc....with some really cool music and sound effects.

It's not funny in reality but it would be a hoot in a video game!

busybeingfree

Certified Ski Diva
I'm surprised more ladies haven't voiced their opinion on this. Music is a very personal topic and almost everyone has an opinion! I recently started bringing along my Ipod and have been treating myself to some bluegrass. I love this music off the slopes as well - and Yonder Mountain really really gets me moving. For me, music helps add that extra personal emotional connection.

Using one headphone instead of both seems to be the perfect balance for me. I can chat and be social on the lift, hear my surroundings while skiing, and also get into my own personal soundtrack.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I've been skiing alone a lot the ipod makes it much more interesting. I have the speaker kit that goes with the Giro Fuse helmet, and it has amazingly good sound quality. Also, it is preferable to earbuds because I can still hear what's going on around me.
Some of my regulars are:
Dave Matthews Band - I have a lot of their live stuff, so sometimes I listen to a whole concert.
Counting Crows
Coldplay
John Mayer
various 70's classic rock
various soundtracks, etc. I have like 70GB of music on my ipod so it's a lot to choose from!

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't like to listen to music when I ski, but often have songs playing "in my head". Two come to mind, Led Zepplins "Since I've been Lo-vin You" and Flatts and Scruggs "Dueling Banjoes". I think it is the beat that synchronizes with my turns. "Dueling Banjoes" for Slalom or moguls and Led Zepplin for GS.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have audio in my helmet. It's great. I can hear ambient sound and still get my music. I was a firm believer in no music until about a year ago, when I tried it. Now I'm a convert.

You have to take into account my advanced age when you see my playlist:

The Beach Boys: this is my ultimate favorite. I'm not even that much of a BB fan, but for some reason this just does it for me when I ski.
Motown: The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cook, Stevie Wonder.
James Taylor
Sting
Bruce Springsteen: Hey, I'm originally from Jersey. 'Nuf said.
James Hunter
Van Morrison
Paul Simon
Norah Jones

And a little of a lot of other stuff: Bob Schneider, Los Lonely Boys, David Wilcox, Susan Tedeschi, Lyle Lovett, Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Don Henley, Counting Crows, Dire Straits. Yep, a real boomer playlist :laugh:. Some other stuff, too, that I just can't remember right now.

Works for me.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never ski with an iPod but I often have a song in my head. I turn Weezer's Hashpipe into Halfpipe every time I see one. Another favourite is "The weight is a gift" by Nada Surf. It might be the line "I spend all my energy staying upright" ....

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only the breeze of the wind in my ears and the blowing of the trees....and the sound of snow under my skis! That's it! Beautiful symphony of nature, really!

Same for me .... music, drugs and booze isn't what I need when I am skiing. I also do not like when at a snow-park/ski-bar/snack-bar the music is too loud ....

Skiing is a sport in the nature and the nature is at its best when its quiet!:D

TravelRN

Diva in Training
Just yesterday I was skiing behind a man singing....or rather, belting...God Bless America lol. Hey, at least he's patriotic!! Anyways, I ve yet to venture into listening to music while skiing...but, Im never without my tunes while Im running. Hip/Hop gets my blood going...and Im generally not a hip/hop fan but give it a whirl, you'll know what I mean. Either that or something techno with a fun beat, again not everyday listening material.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Snowsparkle2,

Glad someone else posted some classical music, although I have my pop favorites that I have running through my head while skiing.

1. Beethoven, Choral Fantasy op. 80

Part I
Part II

Every time I hear this piece, I just want to move fast-- really fast-- especially when the chorus comes in during Part II!

2. Janacek-- Sinfonietta

Here are some pop favorites of late:

3. Royksopp-- So Easy

4. Royksopp-- What Else is There
- Video might be a little creepy for some viewers.

5. The Knife-- Heartbeats

6. The Chameleons-- Don't Fall

You can YouTube it if you like, but I really hated the video! It's a cool song though.

Given what I do for a living (and to support my skiing habit) as a music librarian, some find it strange to hear that I've never owned an iPod or an MP3 player. I just don't know how well I'd handle having earbuds in my ears and skiing as well; I want to make sure I can hear things around me so I can move out of the way, etc.

I feel kinda fuddy duddy, but my favourite skiing song at the moment is Shostakovich Waltz No. 2 -

i sing to myself (in my head i think - but mebbe out loud who knows :laugh: ) - it's a great one for long swooping blues & reds.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa! Didn't think that my YouTube links would automatically be embedded in my post-- sorry for eating up space/bandwidth.:eek:

Mods, if you like, please feel free to delete my links!

Sorry about that.

-T

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa! Didn't think that my YouTube links would automatically be embedded in my post-- sorry for eating up space/bandwidth.:eek:

Mods, if you like, please feel free to delete my links!

Sorry about that.

-T

Don't mind if I do!

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't ski with music although I do have a few mantras that run through my head to help me out. They tend to be the tips that my instructors over time have used to help me focus like... TTLL (translation, tight tummy, loose legs) and ferrari (translation - hands on the steering wheel and in sight). Other wise I talk to myself alot :laughter:

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been listening to music more often lately. I have the Giro Fuse helmet with Tune Ups, and it works really well.

I find the music relaxes and inspires me. Today I was contemplating a steep run and about to chicken out, but then a really good song came on, so I went for it!

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My music changes with my mood and the snow conditions. I ski with hip hop (yes, the nasty kind, lol) when I'm skiing park, or super speedy groomers. In powder, it changes. Sometimes I like quiet, other times I'm really into alternative rock.

Favorites as of lately
Coldplay's Viva La Vida album
Red Man - Kenna
Kings of Leon's Only By The Night album
Hoobastank
Under The Influence Of Giants
Brand New's The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me album

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a sampling of my iPod (the majrity of the songs): Blue October, Cold, Trapt, Coldplay, Incubus, Hoobastank, Staind, Rage, Queens of the Stone Age, Tantric/Days of the New, Chili Peppers, Mad Season, Matchbox, Alien Ant Farm, , Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Three Doors Down, Black Lab, Creed/Alter Bridge, Audioslave, Breaking Benjamin, Daughtry, Disturbed, Collective Soul, Finger Eleven, Modest Mouse, Fall Out Boys, Filter, Offspring, Fuel, Godsmack, Hinder, Hedder, Seether, Shinedown, Snow Patrol, Switchfoot, and all of the Vancouver Bands/Sound Alikes (Nickleback, Puddle of Mudd, Saving Abel, Theory of a Deadman, Default).

Then I have some odd ones like The Allman Brothers, Rush, Santana, Traffic, Roxette, Tone Loc, Nine Days, Shania Twain, Cheryl Crow, and even Rockwell and Zebra.

Yes, I'm over 40 :redface:. I like my music modern, head bangin', angry, and LOUD! :laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga