• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your most embarrassing ski moment

Gratefulgal

Certified Ski Diva
Yesterday my brother came to Mount Snow to ski with me for my birthday. The two of us have not skied together at Mount Snow for over 30 years.

Back in the day we had a fun sibling competitiveness, I'm older and learned how to ski first so was always a little better. But in the last 30 years he's expanded his skiing horizons and goes out West and he's really amazing. I, on the other hand, haven't skied much in these years, and am just getting back in the saddle.

So I was a bit nervous going in, but not so nervous I was psyched out.

As we are headed onto the Canyon lift, I look over at him and say "This is so awesome we are doing this. Mommy and Daddy would be so happy" and he responded "Well lets just get through the day in one piece." With a wink, teasing me some at my being out of practice.

I went to wack him with my pole and it got wedged under me somehow just as the lift is coming to us and our two other riders.

I lost my damned balance, tipped sideways into my brother, skis popped off and they stopped the lift with a few hundred onlookers watching me flailing on the ground to get back up.

We get me righted and they leave the lift stationary while my embarrassed ass takes a seat.

My brother said "Is this the way the rest of the day is going?" I'm like "I can't top this, Mark. I sure don't want to"

Thankfully the other two riders laughed and there were no further embarrassing incidents of epic proportions.

So how about you? What's your most embarrassing ski moment??

mustski

Angel Diva
I was 13 years old and a member of ski club that travelled via bus every Saturday. There was a boy on our bus who had dreams of being ski patrol and so he carried "rescue" equipment with him - rope and I don't remember what else. He would talk about it on the bus. In retrospect, he was probably special; everybody was kind to him and no one made fun of him. One day, I turned to yell something to my friends and skied right into a cluster of bushes on the side of the run. My skis tangled and I had to take them off. Just then, Charlie came skiing down the mountain so I tried to crawl into the bushes so he wouldn't see me. No luck there! He skied up, threw me his rope and pulled me out of the bushes and retrieved my skis, etc. Charlie "rescued" me and regaled us with the story - over and over - all the way home on the bus. Every time the bus quieted down, someone would call out, " Hey Charlie, tell us again how you rescued Pat." In my 13 year old world, that was absolute humiliation!

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
I have a few from when I was a kid (I skied faster than I could brake, many times, took out a whole rack of skis, a stroller (empty, thank God), skied over the back of a guy’s new skis... just a lil s*ithead), but I thought those days were done. I skied all Friday morning, three hours of a freeride lesson, with my custom moulded boot liners reversed. Oh yeah it hurt, like someone driving the head of a nail into the top of my arches. But I thought my feet were just swollen. I skied fine but was in sooo much pain. It was also my second day on new Blizzard Sheeva 10s, so I thought MAYBE it had something to do with the skis (nope). Honest to gawd I do not know where my brain was. At lunch I texted hubby and told him I felt like I was wearing someone else’s boots. Ding!! Then it hit me. I pulled out the liners and between the embarrassment came the relief that my feet were not betraying me. I also did this on my first day out in November I now realize; I thought it was just my feet being wimps. My poor, poor feet. I am such a moron!! Won’t making that mistake again, but I’m sure there will be others.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. Diva confessions.

As a former Mountain Host at Solitude, I confess that I pulled a gaper move. After my lunch duties at Moonbeam, I trudged out to the ski racks to ski the rest of my shift. Not a powder day---I had an old pair of carvers (think Nordicas?) that I got for free and clicked in and was off to the races.

I actually had a great run when I looked down and realized I had to different types of skis on! Yikes. I raced back to the rack, luckily the orphan skis were hanging out where they were left (so no poor guest had to figure it out) and I did a quick swap. What's weird is that the binding seemed to fit perfectly---or it could have been a disaster.

It's been my little secret til now.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going up a tbar with my husband, he was a snowboarder at the time and i'm a skier, and the brake from my binding got stuck in one of the holes in his snowboard binding strap. Tried to get off, tangled, fell. In front of ski patrol. Also got off the lift at my local a second too late and its a steep drop off ramp so I had to jump from midair and of course fell like an idiot, again in front of ski patrol. Always in front of ski patrol.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got to ski with friends for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago. We were on the lift together, me in the center seat of course, and when I went to slide forward in preparation to get off the lift, I was stuck. My pants got stuck to the back of the chair somehow. I managed to yank them loose, a second or two too late, and apparently something in my brain decided it wasn't too late and I should just jump for it. Managed to land upright in relatively the right area and not knock anyone over, but the ski patrollers standing at the top of the lift audibly gasped. Oops. Still don't quite know how I got hooked up.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was waiting at a busy liftline. Pulled out a kleenex to blow my nose and out flew something from my pocket. Thought it was my chapstick (while it was mid-air) but realized it was a tampon when it landed on a snowboard of a group of guys infront of me. They all saw it landed and all turned back (imagine slow motion) to look at me :bag: I had to ask the guy to hand it back to me...then I heard him ask his friends “what was that?” If I wasn’t stuck in the middle of the line, I’d have :bolt:

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This wouldn’t have been embarrassing if not for my husband. Yesterday, I didn’t put an additional layer on my legs and my lady bits were quite cold. I tell our instructor we have to go back so I can add a layer. When we get to the bottom I figure it would be faster to just buy one so we start to head that way and my husband is like what’s going on and our instructor says I’m cold and needs another layer. Hubby is like I don’t understand. What is cold. :doh: So I say I just need leggings, I’m cold. Again he starts to press what exactly my issue is. And asks where are you cold? I just stared at him because the come back would not have been appropriate so I just turned and skied towards the lift that leads to the store where I had to take off all
my ski gear in a small dressing room to get one new base layer. But it was too small when I was getting dressed and kept falling into the door and walls so I had to pop out with half my stuff back on. They were both standing not far away. Fun times.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't think of my most embarrassing ever, but on our JH trip I fell outside of the bathroom in front of benches crammed with people. One of those slow motion, tried to save it, flailed a bit, then boom situations. Lots of "ooooooooo, you okay?!" I laughed it off to try to save face and said "that's a technical spot." Everybody just stared at me and I humbly handed the one dude his shoe back that I kicked when I fell. Then I skidaddled.

Also, I wiped out in front on the easiest part of a difficult run and DH got it all on film. The small dot on the bottom is me. The smaller black dot is my ski. I caught an edge and spun in a circle and yard saled.IMG_3002.jpg

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going up a tbar with my husband, he was a snowboarder at the time and i'm a skier, and the brake from my binding got stuck in one of the holes in his snowboard binding strap. Tried to get off, tangled, fell. In front of ski patrol. Also got off the lift at my local a second too late and its a steep drop off ramp so I had to jump from midair and of course fell like an idiot, again in front of ski patrol. Always in front of ski patrol.

Same thing happened to me with DH on a lift at our home mountain. We somehow managed to get like 10 feet from the lift to crash in front of the ski patrol cabin at the top of Minuteman... In front of like 4 of them. Good to know this has happened to others. I feel less alone.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was getting ready to load onto a double lift chair with my husband when he accidentally stuck his arm out straight across behind my back right before the lift chair arrived. When I tried to sit down onto the chair, I was blocked by his arm and propelled forward off the lift platform, landing in a heap in a pit of snow below the platform. The liftee was an older dude with a big booming voice who then yelled, “We have a jumper!!!” before stopping the lift. It was early in the day on a powder day and the people in line behind us were not amused. I had to be pulled out of the snow pit and there was so much fresh fluffy snow that it was a real struggle to get traction to get out (with the lift stopped the whole time and all eyes on “the jumper.”)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can't think of my most embarrassing ever, but on our JH trip I fell outside of the bathroom in front of benches crammed with people. One of those slow motion, tried to save it, flailed a bit, then boom situations. Lots of "ooooooooo, you okay?!" I laughed it off to try to save face and said "that's a technical spot." Everybody just stared at me and I humbly handed the one dude his shoe back that I kicked when I fell. Then I skidaddled.

Also, I wiped out in front on the easiest part of a difficult run and DH got it all on film. The small dot on the bottom is me. The smaller black dot is my ski. I caught an edge and spun in a circle and yard saled.View attachment 10213

I almost always fall in the stupidest, easiest places... oftentimes when I'm just standing around on a flat, b/c I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Now I don’t feel so bad...just Saturday, I was at Belleayre, decided to take a group lesson since I was by myself and had never skied there before. Second time up a lift, talking with the others in the group, not paying attention, started to move ahead just as the chair for the previous group getting on the lift swung around. Chair hit me just enough to knock me down and out of my skis. Not hurt, but felt sooooo stupid!

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was still a beginner I had just gotten off the lift and was waiting for some members of the group I was with to join me. Somehow I managed to lose my balance and fall over despite the fact that I was just standing there.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's one from last week! Coincidentally, one of my best friends was in the same resort as me for a week of skiing. She's a total beginner and was really curious to see me ski. On our first run together, I was trying to read some signs while approaching the lift and got so distracted I crossed my skis and fell - it was almost completely flat. So much for showing off :becky:

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first time I ever went on a chairlift with my brother he somehow managed to put his arm between me and the seat back, with result that I fell off just beyond the loading zone. I got my own back by loudly including “when you threw me off the chairlift” in every conversation for the rest of the trip. Lots of complete strangers gave him the stink eye. I eventually started to feel a bit guilty because he was only 15 and didn’t know better but he was already around 9 inches taller than me so it sounded terrible.

An instructor brought me down a bump run though the trees in Vail. It was by far the scariest looking run I had ever skied and I had managed it just fine. I was very impressed with myself. Then I tripped in the lift line and fell flat on the ground.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There was the time when three friends and I got on the triple.
Winner!

I had kind of a "Jerry of the Day" week this past week. Missed getting on the high-speed 6 pack with my lesson group of 5. Fell over my pole and kept post-holing trying to stand up to get my skis back on. Forgot my ski pants before work, so couldn't ski after work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna