• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Your most embarrassing ski moment

alison wong

Angel Diva
There was the time when three friends and I got on the triple.

I did the opposite once when I was still new to skiing.

I got on a quad chair, stood too close to the edge of the chair and did not leave enough room for the 4th person to get on. This woman barely squeezed in and got on.

She then asked me in a rather snarky tone: "How long you have been skiing?!" My reply: "Not long enough to know what I am doing?" She laughed at my response and was no longer annoyed.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Most embarrassing was my first ever experience.

I took my first ever lesson at Breckenridge. This bunny hill has a bit of uphill at the end of the slope, the idea was, you supposed to let your skis run, they would go in a straight line and eventually stop uphill.... Our instructor told us to do just that, everyone else in the class was able to go in a straight line and stopped at the end of this bunny hill, except me..... I kept going toward right, where the magic carpet was. Then I would intentionally fall so I would not run into that magic carpet.

On my 3rd attempt, my instructor said to me: "Just keep going straight and you will stop up hill." Again, I veered toward right, the magic carpet area.

There was this pole about waist high near the magic carpet. I ran into this pole, with my legs wrapped between the pole and then fell....

Liftie came and helped me to get up.
Him: Ma'am, you ok?
Me: Yea, I am ok.
Him: Boy, I am glad you are not a man coz that would hurt real bad....

I thought to myself, i don't think that would make any difference, coz either way, it hurts real bad...

2nd most embarrassing moment was:
One time I was a bit too eager to get on the lift chair, I stood a bit outside of the "loading" area, close to the chair lift. As the chair "swing" by, it hit my elbow and I fell. With me falling, I created a dominos effect and took the 3 skiers to my right with me....

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yep, I witnessed it happened first hand last year in my group lesson. Our instructor verbally explained this drill, before she demoed it, I asked the question:

Me: Will that make our skis tip cross?
Instructor (answered in a very annoying tone): What? Why would that happen?

She then tried to demo it, her ski tips crossed and fell before initiating the first turn....

I felt bad that I jinxed her but I guess my question was legit after all.
That’s hysterical!

Tele Tracy

Diva in Training
I had been looking forward for a year to attending the ski patrol regional ski enhancement seminar because they were going to have a telemark group! (I have patrolled a number of years in a board and crossed over to skiing two years ago) It was an amazing day, -26 and snowing all day, but we were working so hard in our tele group, no one noticed the cold at all. I was coming down the final pitch laser focused on the current exercise and fell. Pulling on my snowboard experience, I rolled into the fall, swung my skis over my head and put them back under me and stood up and resumed skiing before I'd stopped moving. Hoping no one would notice, I met my group at the lift. My instructor swept his finger from my head to my boots and asked, barely concealing a smirk, why I was covered in snow. ‍♀️

MouseInLux

Certified Ski Diva
I followed my kids down the kids fun slope, there was a curve around over a tunnel then it went around into the tunnel. I had done this about 5 times already this day (the joys of skiing with kids). I made it halfway around the gentle curve and my skis just slipped out from under me. No clue how or why. Then a class of 4-5 year olds cane along with their teacher asking if I needed help? No, I just need to sit here and get myself up and forget all about this experience!

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year in La Plagne, booked a day with a guide. Met her and spent some time discussing experience and what I wanted to get out of the session. Headed for the lift. There was snow lying on the matting so instead of shuffling out to the loading area when the gate opened I tried to glide out. Misjudged, went too far, flew off the end of the loading area into the pile of snow that had been cleared that morning. Both skis came off, one was buried in the snow. Lift was closed for 5 mins while we dug it out. I was just glad that my attempt to grab the guide to stop myself failed or I would have probably taken her with me.

Oh, managed to lose both my skis getting onto the ancient single chair at my local resort. Had to wait at the top for nice people to bring them up. To be fair, the snow was really deep that year which made the chair very low and awkward to get into. The liftie said I was the first to lose both skis, but lots of people had lost one that day.

R0ckette

Certified Ski Diva
I got caught with my pants down at Champagne Glades at Vail by a group of FIVE skiers. Darn tiny bladder syndrome... :doh:

I kept running into them too at the lifts - they pointed me out every time. I pretended not to speak English and only responded in German to them. Good thing I ski ninja style... otherwise I would have been bright red the 3 additional times I saw them.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I got caught with my pants down at Champagne Glades at Vail by a group of FIVE skiers. Darn tiny bladder syndrome... :doh:

I kept running into them too at the lifts - they pointed me out every time. I pretended not to speak English and only responded in German to them. Good thing I ski ninja style... otherwise I would have been bright red the 3 additional times I saw them.
I think you win!!

MissySki

Angel Diva

:rotf: Hands down the best!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm reviving this to add some more embarrassing moments 4 years later.
Yesterday I was in the baby park all day trying new things. Usually that's when you fall but Amazingly I stayed upright the whole day. Until I went to the bathroom -I managed to find the one slippery spot on the floor slipped and fell like the cartoon slipping on a banana peel. Landed on my backside. Ski boots in the bathroom when you're tired are dangerous!
Falling on the rope tow is also super embarrassing. It happens at least a couple times a season. And of course there's always people around .

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I'm reviving this to add some more embarrassing moments 4 years later.
Yesterday I was in the baby park all day trying new things. Usually that's when you fall but Amazingly I stayed upright the whole day. Until I went to the bathroom -I managed to find the one slippery spot on the floor slipped and fell like the cartoon slipping on a banana peel. Landed on my backside. Ski boots in the bathroom when you're tired are dangerous!
Falling on the rope tow is also super embarrassing. It happens at least a couple times a season. And of course there's always people around .

Thanks for the revival. I've been enjoying reading (rereading?) this thread.

newbieM

Angel Diva
This season we went skiing with a group of friends, I am less experienced so I mostly ski solo. On one run, my friends came up and said hi. I was so surprised to see them, and suddenly so nervous, that not 30 seconds later, I somehow ate it. But I didn't just fall. I did some crazy face plant, where my skis ended up bending backward over my head. I've never felt my back so limber and never again (ha ha). My friends were like HOW DID YOU DO THAT! I had no idea, the whole thing was a blur but they kept talking about my EPIC fall all weekend long. MORTIFYING!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just completing a run with a friend, a fellow beginner, when her husband skiied up at the last part and was complimenting us on how we were progressing. About to re-enter the lift line, I raised my arms in a cheer formation to acknowledge his encouraging words and no sooner got my ski somehow on both sides of the pole holding the rope for the line, ate it AND brought him down with the pole and landed on his... wait for it... junk. I wasn't hurt, but he was and I was MORTIFIED. :cry:

Thankfully, he took it well and now jokes about wearing a cup when he sees me and our kids are not around :rotf:

sashak

Certified Ski Diva
Great to read these, thanks, ladies. I have some embarrassing moments for sure. This past summer we were having the trip of a lifetime skiing in Farellones, Chile, and I had quite an adventure on one of the steeper T bars. It went so high and for so long, and I slid off in slow motion, with enough time to grab the t bar with my arms and hold on for literally dear life. I was crying, gritting my teeth, and wondering how health insurance would work and how many hours it would take to get back down the Andes mountain roads to a hospital. Somehow, my muscles burning, I made it to the top. My husband was there, cracking up, and took this photo to embarrass me forever. IMG_20220802_125650295.jpg

newbieM

Angel Diva
Great to read these, thanks, ladies. I have some embarrassing moments for sure. This past summer we were having the trip of a lifetime skiing in Farellones, Chile, and I had quite an adventure on one of the steeper T bars. It went so high and for so long, and I slid off in slow motion, with enough time to grab the t bar with my arms and hold on for literally dear life. I was crying, gritting my teeth, and wondering how health insurance would work and how many hours it would take to get back down the Andes mountain roads to a hospital. Somehow, my muscles burning, I made it to the top. My husband was there, cracking up, and took this photo to embarrass me forever. View attachment 20698
Well you do look fabulous holding on for dear life.

I just now remembered the first time I took a pommel in powder mountain I had no idea what I was doing. I somehow fell off and managed to get out of the way of those behind me. While figuring out how I was going to get myself all the rest of the way some kind soul held his poles out and dragged me alongside him. I am forever thankful to that kind stranger.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
This one probably only feels most embarrassing because it was so recent, but at the Your Turn Women's Clinic this January, somewhere halfway through the first morning, I got to chit-chatting with my seatmates and totally fell getting off the lift. Just didn't get my butt up enough and slide right down the snow ramp on my arse. I hasn't fallen getting off a lift in YEARS and I was already clearly the weakest skier at the clinic so this was a BLOW to my confidence. Ugh!!!

sashak

Certified Ski Diva

I just now remembered the first time I took a pommel in powder mountain I had no idea what I was doing. I somehow fell off and managed to get out of the way of those behind me. While figuring out how I was going to get myself all the rest of the way some kind soul held his poles out and dragged me alongside him. I am forever thankful to that kind stranger.
So you totally understand, lol!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

That was nice of him! Funny image though, LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna