• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's ski camp reviews

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eager to hear about it MarzNC! I like the format and the cost.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have our first women's clinic at S6 this Sunday. I'll get to participate as a sort of "floater," joining up with the different groups and generally helping out with non-instruction-related logistics.
Thanks to the Diva community, it should be a great program, and I can't wait to hear feedback from the participants.

Side note, I'm slightly proud of one of the taglines: "Less bro. More flow."
I wanted to play around with something like "retreat to the powder room," but people kept saying that sounded like we were going to the restroom to do drugs. :rolleyes:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha! Do you know that it was only on my 6th read that my brain connected powder room with bathroom. We call it the white room on our mountain...pretty sure there's a drug analogy there too if one searches for it. Oh, wait, skiing and powder are addictive. My kind of drug.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At the encouragement of my DH I have signed up for a three Saturday lesson series at Snowbasin. I had my first lesson last week, and have day 2 tomorrow. So far it has been great, the instructor is fabulous, and even one lesson in I feel a little of my old mojo coming back.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Women’s Taos Ski Week is tradionally offered in mid-February, starting Feb. 10 for 2019. Bottom line is that it’s a bargain at around $300 and well worth the extra effort for travel required to go to Taos Ski Valley. Mostly because the instructors teaching Ski Weeks are very experienced, many with teaching for over 15 years. There are some women who do the Women's Ski Week annually.

A full Ski Week is 6 consecutive mornings, Sunday thru Friday. The price for a Ski Week for 2018-19 is $270. Co-ed Ski Weeks are offered every week of the main season and do not require a reservation. Starting on Monday morning is not uncommon. A local may skip a morning or two. The advantage of having an entire week is that the instructors have time for progression because they know they have at least 4, if not the full 6, days to work with a student. That increases the likelihood that a fundamental skill that requires doing something different than an old habit will get ingrained enough to stick after the Ski Week is over. Some groups do video and the video analysis for the group be done on mountain.

Groups are divided by ability and interest. TSV uses a 10-point breakdown for ski school purposes, but sometimes levels are combined. For instance, if an older advanced/expert skier (say over 70) wants to take it easy, then can do Level 8 or 9 instead of Level 10. The Ladies group that @santacruz skier and I were in last season was Level 9/10, partially because no black terrain was open due to low snow conditions. One local woman put herself in Level 8 on the first day because the year before there were women who found annoying in Level 9/10. But she moved into our group on Monday and found it more compatible in terms of technique and chemistry among the students. The range for the Feb 2018 groups was from intermediate to advanced for skiing and there was one beginning snowboarder who got a solo Ski Week. Ideally, groups are limited to 8 students.

Most participants tip instructors. Some groups gather money together as a group tip. For other groups, individuals give the tip to the instructor at end of the week.

Some groups have lunch, après, or an early dinner together on Friday for those who are interested. One of the perks of doing a Ski Week is the possibility of making new friends for afternoon free skiing, or future ski trips.

In addition to perks like free demo skis, there are a few other differences for Ladies Ski Week. For a regular Ski Week, there is a "ski off" first thing on Sunday morning. For the Ladies Ski Week, the groups were formed by self-selection for those who were doing it for the first time. The Ladies program starts at the base every morning. There can be a talk before the lifts start on one or two days.

The group dynamic we had was quite good even given the range of advanced abilities, ages, and personalities. A L2 instructor who teaches children joined the group on Tuesday.

While any Ski Week is worthwhile, there are advantages to doing the Women's Ski Week if the schedule matches up well. Especially for a woman who prefers a female instructor.

For a few pictures of Taos in Feb 2018, see the trip report:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-taos-feb-10-16-2018.22516/

Teresa

Certified Ski Diva
I know it's not a women's specific camp but if anyone has attended & has feedback on the Whistler 4 day camp I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna