• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Taos Feb. 10-16, 2018

marzNC

Angel Diva
One thing that was clear after my first trip to Taos Ski Valley (TSV) last season, a Taos Ski Week is addictive. My crew started planning for a return last spring as soon as the MCP went on sale in March. We are back at TSV this week in spite of extremely low snow conditions. We all agreed about a month ago that there would be sufficient terrain to improve our skiing, even without much in the way of black terrain open.

This time everyone is doing a Ski Week. Ski buddy Bill and @Olesya Chornoguz are with the same instructors they had last year. I and @santacruz skier are doing a Ladies Ski Week, which just happened to be this week. @nopoleskier joined Olesya's group.

We warmed up on Sat, 10Feb before the Ski Week that started 11Feb. Luckily there was a few inches of snow last night, which made conditions more fun than before. Also brought out the locals since it was Sunday. With so little terrain open, the groomers felt crowded at times and that's a bit unusual.

@RachelV and her BF are also doing a Ski Week this week.

Kachina Peak Feb 2018 - no open terrain due to low snow
Taos Kachina Feb2018 .jpg

Comparison . . . Kachina in Feb 2017 with over 100 inches
Taos Kachina Feb2017 - 8.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
We handled travel and lodging a bit differently this time. The idea was for those flying to all arrive on Friday, then we would all spend the first night in Santa Fe, including Bill. On Saturday we moved into the Columbine Inn. Staying in TSV thru Friday night so that it's possible to do activities that happen Friday afternoon/evening.

Almost worked out as planned. Except my flight on Southwest via Chicago was cancelled due to a major snowstorm. I ended up flying to ABQ a day early and stayed at an airport motel, same one I stayed at last year. For me, that's probably the better approach because it helps with altitude adjustment. Albuquerque is around 5000 feet. Santa Fe is around 7000 feet. TSV is around 9000 feet. Having two night at relatively high altitude before getting to TSV was helpful.

We have two cars again. Bill drove me and santa cruz to Sante Fe and then TSV. @olesya and @nopoleskier rented an SUV.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Regular Ski Weeks are Sun-Fri, although some people start on a Monday. No reservation is required. Cost was $220 in 2017-18 for non-holiday weeks, not much more for holiday weeks. There are special weeks when there are group(s) for teens, one week for telemark, and one Ladies Ski Week.

Besides being for women only and having all female instructors, the other perks for the Ladies Ski Week this year include:

* Free demo skis from Taos Ski Shop for up to five days
* Free boot fitting and 1/2 price Stance Alignment at The Boot Doctors
* 1/2 price tune at Le Ski Mastery
* 20% off massage at the Blake Spa, with use of the fitness center hot tub etc.
* Sunday afternoon social with 1/2 price drinks and a flat bread snack, inside Blake's 192 bar
* Monday morning talk about women's anatomy as it relates to skis and boots
* Thursday afternoon yoga class at Blake Spa
* Friday lunch at the St. Bernard with your group, pay for your own

Not many people went to the social that started at 4pm. Turns out that most of the women participating are locals who went home mid-afternoon. The social included a very informal "fashion show" of a few items by folks from Le Ski Mastery, Boot Doctors, and a jewelry store that sells alpaca items. Someone asked about bringing a "token" male at the morning Meet & Greet where groups were set up. The answer was yes so there were a few men enjoying the conversation.

There is no ski-off for the Ladies Ski Week. Groups are formed the first morning indoors based on what women are interested in doing and their self-description. Then adjustments will be made on Monday morning.

The groups this week run from Level 9, which includes me and @santacruz skier . Then a Level 8 group that will also probably do whatever bumps exist. There was a bigger group who are working their way up to bumps. A few women are taking it easy or beginners. Also one snowboarder who will have a solo Ski Week.

newboots

Angel Diva
How many women are there, altogether?

marzNC

Angel Diva
How many women are there, altogether?
There are at least 20, perhaps 25 or 30. Some of the women are part of the Minneapolis ski club. Quite a few are locals. I think about half are advanced and half are intermediates.

We had two people join the Level 9 group today. One local who had to go to work in the afternoon. The other was a younger woman who was in the Level 8 group for the first lesson. Did some side slipping, falling leaf, pivot slips, and 360s.

@santacruz skier and I are both demo'ing the BP88 @152cm. I had the K2 Alluvit @ 159 this morning and that was too long. I could ski it okay on groomers but not nimble enough on the one section of baby bumps that exists off a green (near White Feather).

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I think of Taos, which I truly loved, I am reminded of something my ski instructor said regarding Ski Weeks. "Every week is Ski Week." . He said," we teach the same stuff all the time.". I had to laugh, because I was inquiring about those specific weeks! Lol.

@santacruz skier & @marzNC :. I demoed the BP 88 up at Big Sky last week in the 152 and actually liked them a lot. I'd demoed three previous versions and hated them before. The new one for 2018 skis so differently than the predecessors, I was pleasantly surprised.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For me, the BP88 @152 certainly handled speed on groomers quite well. I was skiing with Mr. and Mrs. KingGrump in the afternoon. He skis . . . fast . . . on any type of terrain. I've only gotten good enough to keep up with him in the last year or two.

It was cloudy all day, with a few snowflakes every now that then. Wasn't particularly windy so actually pretty comfortable in terms of temps. The snow conditions were pretty nice between the grooming and perhaps inch that came down overnight. There are a few small sections of little bumps that are starting to grow.

For those who know Taos, the lifts that are open are Lifts 1, 2, 7, 7A, and 8. On Sat when the storm was coming in, the winds started kicking up mid-afternoon. We were on Lift 8 when it stopped several times for wind gusts. By the time we got to the top, Lift 2 had shut down. It was clearly time to stop for the day. Only Lift 1 stayed open until closing that day.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Regular Ski Weeks are Sun-Fri, although some people start on a Monday. No reservation is required. Cost was $220 in 2017-18 for non-holiday weeks, not much more for holiday weeks. There are special weeks when there are group(s) for teens, one week for telemark, and one Ladies Ski Week.

There is no ski-off for the Ladies Ski Week. Groups are formed the first morning indoors based on what women are interested in doing and their self-description. Then adjustments will be made on Monday morning.

There are 3 "peak" weeks, cost is higher: $280. 1) wk b/w x'mas and new year. 2) president's week. 3) March spring break week(?)

Other weeks are $220.

I noticed women's ski week and thought out doing that... Now you mentioned there is no ski off, I guess I am not interested. I rather be evaluated and be assigned to the appropriate group. As I have trouble articulating what level I should be.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I noticed women's ski week and thought out doing that... Now you mentioned there is no ski off, I guess I am not interested. I rather be evaluated and be assigned to the appropriate group. As I have trouble articulating what level I should be.
Since you have already done a Taos Ski Week, it's not that hard to start in the correct group for the Ladies Ski Week. That said, I don't think there is that much reason to schedule a trip based on the Ladies Week. Should only be one factor in deciding which week works best.

Bottom line is that all the instructors who teach during a Taos Ski Week are very, very good. So any Ski Week is worth while regardless of which instructor, male or female.

Does seem that people who return regularly for a Ski Week tend to stick with a favorite instructor. Which makes sense. Once you find a compatible instructor, there are many advantages to sticking with them whenever practical.

Last edited:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Does seem that people who return regularly for a Ski Week tend to stick with a favorite instructor. Which makes sense. Once you find a compatible instructor, there are many advantages to sticking with them whenever practical.

I know which instructor I want to "try" next time, either Derek G. (he was Eunice's instructor) or Dano, aka drill sergeant, I only had him for 1 day. But KingGrump said he is good.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Today was a blue bird day with temps in the 30s. Quite comfortable but not too warm so the snow conditions were quite nice. There's been just enough new snow that there are a few sections of small bumps that the Ski Week instructors are using. One section was off Lift 7 and another was off Lift 8. Lift 7 is a triple that is usually has the terrain park under it. Lift 8 serves good terrain but is a slow ride.

Can tell that TSV is hurting is terms of slow business because the snow pack is so low. Staffing seems pretty thin. Today the Whistlestop on-mountain cafe was closed. The building wasn't even open until mid-morning for people to stop in to use the restroom. At least one manager was scanning lift tickets. Scanning is only done at the main base for Lift 1.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After lunch, all the Divas managed to ski together for a few runs. Before we headed up Lift 1, got some group photos.

RachelV, Olesya, nopoleskier, santa cruzer skier, MarzNC
Taos crew Feb2018 - 1.jpg

Same as above, including Olesya's friend who is a local older woman from Santa Fe. They met last year in a Ski Week group.
Taos crew Feb2018 - 2.jpg

Rachel's BF, Rachel, Olesya, nopoleskier, santa cruz skier, MarzNC, MarzNC's ski buddy Bill from Albuquerque
Taos crew Feb2018 - 3.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
For me, the BP88 @152 certainly handled speed on groomers quite well. . . .
Well, as it turns out I wasn't on the BP88 @152. It was a rush to change out skis at lunch time on Tuesday to get something shorter than the K2 Alluvit @159. I ended up with the BP88 @145. So a bit of a surprise how well they handle high speed. @santacruz skier noticed when we headed out for a couple warm up runs on Wed morning. For the last run of the day I went all out on Bambi (wide blue). There is a speed at which 145 is a little short. But that's not a speed I go on a regular basis. Certainly easier to do the drills and work on technique on the small bumps that are forming with shorter, nimble, skis. I'm keeping them for another morning at least.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
For Ladies Ski Week, the first couple mornings are a bit different from a standard Ski Week. There is a Meet & Greet at 9:30 on Sunday morning in a meeting room inside the building at the base that has the locker room on the lowest floor, the cafeteria on the main floor, and the Martini Grill on the top floor. Women are sorted into groups based on any experience in a Ski Week and/or what they say about their skiing background and interests. On the second morning, Monday, there was a talk about women's anatomy and gear. Starting on the third morning, Tuesday, the groups meet up on snow near the base of Lift 1 at 9:45.

Regular Ski Weeks have a ski off to create groups up near the Whistlestop at 9:45 on Sunday morning to get a week started. Afterwards, groups meet at the Whistlestop.

Many people doing a Ski Week ride up Lift 1 and take a run or two down Porcupine (blue) before meeting up with their instructor. The morning lesson ends around noon, but there are times when a group finishes closer to 12:30. Seems to be more common the first day or two.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another blue sky day. A little warmer until the afternoon when the storm clouds started rolling in. Started snowing in earnest by 8pm. :thumbsup:

Lifts open at 9:00. That means there is time for a couple quick runs before Ski Week groups meet up. The regular groups meet mid-mountain near the Whistlestop. The Ladies groups meet at the base between Lift 1 and the ski school flags, right in front of the building that has the public locker room and the ski school locker room.

Bill (green jacket), @Olesya Chornoguz, @nopoleskier heading up just before 9:00
Taos 14Feb2018 start.jpg

Today was a demo day for industry folks. Quite a few brands were represented. Mostly the usual, but also included Faction. Also included ski boots and a couple snowboard brands.
Taos 14Feb2018 - 1.jpg Taos 14Feb2018 - 2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Pics from Valentine's Day. One of my group who is a Level 2 instructor at Taos brought chocolate to share. The slopes were pretty empty except for people taking lessons or demo'ing skis. By 3:00, the slopes were pretty well deserted as the wind picked up and the clouds thickened.

Helps to take pictures of skis being demo'd
Taos 14Feb2018 - 5.jpg

Usually good bumps under Lift 8, start out as intermediate bumps but can grow to be good to practice even for advanced skiers
Taos 14Feb2018 - 6.jpg

@Olesya Chornoguz, nopoleskier and their group near Lift 7
Taos 14Feb2018 - 7.jpg

The group that included MarzNC and santa cruz skier getting ready to take video
Taos 14Feb2018 - 8.jpg

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’m really enjoying this trip report and all the pics! (I also love @Olesya Chornoguz ’s jacket! I have the same one on blue and green :smile:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna