• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Taos Feb. 10-16, 2018

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Did anyone try the new pizza place last year that replaced Tim's Stray Dog?
No, it was always jam-packed, SRO when I peeked in, so I avoided it! I agree with @marzNC -- Pizanos is definitely the best pizza, and hopefully they've reopened their dining room this year. Another excellent Italian restaurant in Taos is Mondo Italiano, BTW.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think Pizanos was where @marzNC 's friend Bill ordered a pineapple and green chili pizza one year. Sounds odd, but if you like pineapple on pizza I say give it a shot. I really enjoyed it. Some old friends from Los Alamos met up with me and took me to Pizza Outback for dinner one year. Huge slices, good salad. I highly recommend it for another Taos pizza option.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I think Pizanos was where @marzNC 's friend Bill ordered a pineapple and green chili pizza one year. Sounds odd, but if you like pineapple on pizza I say give it a shot. I really enjoyed it. Some old friends from Los Alamos met up with me and took me to Pizza Outback for dinner one year. Huge slices, good salad. I highly recommend it for another Taos pizza option.
Yes, Outback used to be my favorite pizza joint, before Pizanos opened, but their pizza is definitely "different" (one slice is an entire meal, with thick crust and lots of toppings) and the place is often really crowded, with long waits for seating during the ski season, and a very small parking lot. Pizanos offers a more traditional "NY Style" pizza, and although I really liked eating there when their dining rm was open, being able to order take out is also a plus, rather than having to wait on a long line to get seated, as at Outback. That said, since I'll be there for 6 wks, I'm sure I'll be hitting up Pizza Outback a few times!

MissySki

Angel Diva

Ohh that sounds interesting. I have rarely had pineapple on pizza, but enjoyed it when I did. Are green chilis spicy? I really like spicy, so I'd love to try a sweet and spicy thing with pineapple and pepper on a pizza.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Ohh that sounds interesting. I have rarely had pineapple on pizza, but enjoyed it when I did. Are green chilis spicy? I really like spicy, so I'd love to try a sweet and spicy thing with pineapple and pepper on a pizza.
Green chiles (with an "e" in NM) are indeed spicy (hot!) although how hot they are can vary a lot, depending on the variety of pepper, the amount of water it got during its growing season, when it was picked, etc. Chile is a staple of New Mexican cuisine (not to be confused with Mexican or TexMex cuisines), and it can accompany every meal, including breakfast. The peppers are roasted in the fall (around now -- you can small roasting chiles all over town), and can be served whole as toppings (e.g, green chile burgers or pizza) or in burritos or quesadillas, and is also ground up into a sauce that is put on anything and everything, but never served with beans and meat (as in "chili con carne" found in TexMex cuisine). You can also get red or green chile, and while green is usually hotter, that's not always the case (the red ones have been allowed to ripen before picking), and a restaurant will be able to tell you which is hotter that particular day. If you want both red and green, order "Christmas", and those new to chile would be advised to order it on the side(!).

New Mexicans often become addicted to their chile (due to the endorphin release it produces), and I know lots of folks who have it shipped to them, frozen, when they're away from NM. Chile peppers put Hatch, NM (a teeny town) on the map, as theirs are arguably considered the best in NM. Over the 10 yrs I lived there I slowly learned to eat mild or medium chile, but was never able to tolerate the hotter ones.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Green chiles (with an "e" in NM) are indeed spicy (hot!) although how hot they are can vary a lot, depending on the variety of pepper, the amount of water it got during its growing season, when it was picked, etc. Chile is a staple of New Mexican cuisine (not to be confused with Mexican or TexMex cuisines), and it can accompany every meal, including breakfast. The peppers are roasted in the fall (around now -- you can small roasting chiles all over town), and can be served whole as toppings (e.g, green chile burgers or pizza) or in burritos or quesadillas, and is also ground up into a sauce that is put on anything and everything, but never served with beans and meat (as in "chili con carne" found in TexMex cuisine). You can also get red or green chile, and while green is usually hotter, that's not always the case (the red ones have been allowed to ripen before picking), and a restaurant will be able to tell you which is hotter that particular day. If you want both red and green, order "Christmas", and those new to chile would be advised to order it on the side(!).

New Mexicans often become addicted to their chile (due to the endorphin release it produces), and I know lots of folks who have it shipped to them, frozen, when they're away from NM. Chile peppers put Hatch, NM (a teeny town) on the map, as theirs are arguably considered the best in NM. Over the 10 yrs I lived there I slowly learned to eat mild or medium chile, but was never able to tolerate the hotter ones.

Thank you for that, very interesting!! I will definitely be planning to try this when at Taos!

I am somewhat addicted to cayenne pepper. Last year I started drinking bone broth for breakfast, and quickly found I like adding some spice to it. I had bought a spicy bone broth and then would add more pepper to it to make it more spicy. So now I buy the plain version and I add my own mix of Cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper, and garlic salt. I'm also a sucker for buffalo sauces that are hot enough to make me sweat and my nose run. :smile:

I have no idea how those sorts of spiciness will compare to NM spiciness though, so I will start carefully! I find locally that "spicy" has a very different meaning to most restaurants as what it does for me. I'm often disappointed when I order things and don't find them spicy in the least. I'm thinking that will not be an issue in NM!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thank you for that, very interesting!! I will definitely be planning to try this when at Taos!

I am somewhat addicted to cayenne pepper. Last year I started drinking bone broth for breakfast, and quickly found I like adding some spice to it. I had bought a spicy bone broth and then would add more pepper to it to make it more spicy. So now I buy the plain version and I add my own mix of Cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper, and garlic salt. I'm also a sucker for buffalo sauces that are hot enough to make me sweat and my nose run. :smile:

I have no idea how those sorts of spiciness will compare to NM spiciness though, so I will start carefully! I find locally that "spicy" has a very different meaning to most restaurants as what it does for me. I'm often disappointed when I order things and don't find them spicy in the least. I'm thinking that will not be an issue in NM!
Definitely not! You will have a great time exploring all the different varieties of chile dishes, I'm sure, since your palate is already attuned to hot foods. Chile is a different sort of hot from dried black or cayenne pepper, because it has such an interesting flavor (if you haven't burned your taste buds out), so it's not just the heat. I'm excited for you!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Definitely not! You will have a great time exploring all the different varieties of chile dishes, I'm sure, since your palate is already attuned to hot foods. Chile is a different sort of hot from dried black or cayenne pepper, because it has such an interesting flavor (if you haven't burned your taste buds out), so it's not just the heat. I'm excited for you!
To me, the NM chiles, while hot, are so much more flavorful. Hard to describe, but so delicious.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, @nopoleskier and I were with him. We ordered 1/2 pizza with pineapple and chili with ham and 1/2 with pineapple and chili without ham for Bill who is vegetarian. It was really good! We have eaten at Pizano's multiple times before pandemic.

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Not to stray from the current discussion of pizza and spicy things (as those are two of my favorite topics generally), but has there been any new discussion of the upcoming Taos women's ski week? I'm tentatively planning to go and would love to chat about it, but didn't find another thread yet.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to stray from the current discussion of pizza and spicy things (as those are two of my favorite topics generally), but has there been any new discussion of the upcoming Taos women's ski week? I'm tentatively planning to go and would love to chat about it, but didn't find another thread yet.
Hi, welcome, you need to keep posting to be able to see the Meet on the Hill Thread- it is being planned for Feb 2022- keep posting :-)

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, welcome, you need to keep posting to be able to see the Meet on the Hill Thread- it is being planned for Feb 2022- keep posting :-)
oh right! Whoops, I think someone told me that a while ago and I got distracted by summer. By posting do you mean creating new posts or replying..? Been a while since I used forum lingo.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
oh right! Whoops, I think someone told me that a while ago and I got distracted by summer. By posting do you mean creating new posts or replying..? Been a while since I used forum lingo.
Replying is fine. Scan thru all the different Forums that interest you and make come comments, ask questions, etc. You'll get your 20 posts in no time. :wink:

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Replying is fine. Scan thru all the different Forums that interest you and make come comments, ask questions, etc. You'll get your 20 posts in no time. :wink:
Haha I was doing that anyway! Nothing like a slow-ish day to make me wander through a forum.

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
well I got to Certified (25 posts btw, not 20) and still can't see that thread so I think I'm gonna get back to work for a few and look later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly