• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's ski camp reviews

Teresa

Certified Ski Diva
@Jilly Thank you so much!! I'm about a Level 4 skier (I was given a rating of Level 5 at one point but I'm really a 4)- I ski blues but I'm a nervous skier and have to get out of my own head. I'm a little concerned that the camp will be too advanced for me but I really want to improve my skills so I'm hoping this will help! I'm in Whistler for a week Feb 2-9 and the camp starts Feb 4 so it would be perfect for me. The women I'm going with are all black diamond skiers/boarders so I don't want to slow them down.

Jilly

Staff member
I've sent a message to the one lady instructor I know. She's probably working. The other is guy and I need to do it through messenger, which I can't get on at work.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How was the clinic??

I had fun. Small group and great instructor to student ratio. First time for the clinic so learn as you go, for the organizers. I know they'll adjust. Super value at $99 for clinic, ticket, lunch inn the pub and apres beverage! Good folks at a small place. I believe there is another clinic in a week or so!

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had fun. Small group and great instructor to student ratio. First time for the clinic so learn as you go, for the organizers. I know they'll adjust. Super value at $99 for clinic, ticket, lunch inn the pub and apres beverage! Good folks at a small place. I believe there is another clinic in a week or so!
Where? Weekend or weekday?

asherz515

Certified Ski Diva
I have done the 4 week ladies course at my resort. I am hoping to do it again. It helped my technique a ton! I recommend it to everyone. Plus you get to meet some new people.
I was surprised at how many of the ladies actually don't love to ski. They just do it for family or husbands or because they are "suppose" to living in Utah. Can't fathom that!

Jilly

Staff member
@Teresa - the Atomic Camp is what used to be the Dave Murray Camp and Ski Esprit rolled into one. This camp uses some of the best instructors that WB has. So well worth it.

@asherz515 - the ladies here are a minority compared to the all the ladies out there. It's all about the passion.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm three lessons in to my local women's clinic and I'm learning so much! The ratio for my group is 5 students to 1 instructor but by the looks of it there were many instructors to go around. I'm learning to be more confident and trust my ski edge to hold me, I've been told that's my issue :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm three lessons in to my local women's clinic and I'm learning so much! The ratio for my group is 5 students to 1 instructor but by the looks of it there were many instructors to go around. I'm learning to be more confident and trust my ski edge to hold me, I've been told that's my issue :smile:
Welcome! Are the lessons all day? What region are you in?

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly Thank you so much!! I'm about a Level 4 skier (I was given a rating of Level 5 at one point but I'm really a 4)- I ski blues but I'm a nervous skier and have to get out of my own head. I'm a little concerned that the camp will be too advanced for me but I really want to improve my skills so I'm hoping this will help! I'm in Whistler for a week Feb 2-9 and the camp starts Feb 4 so it would be perfect for me. The women I'm going with are all black diamond skiers/boarders so I don't want to slow them down.

I think you'll be fine! My sister was a regular of the old Dave Murray camp & I never went because I thought it sounded a bit hardcore for me (you sound like a similar level to me - I have decent technique mid-season but lack guts & fitness, so I've had a number of instructors initially say I should put myself in a level 5 group, but after I wimp out on offpiste + slow up the whole group etc they eventually agree with me that I'm in the right group!) She said that I would've been fine, there were always a few groups of plain vanilla level 4 intermediates that weren't going full throttle like the 5s or 6s would've been. And the feedback on how the camp helped people get over a fear of speed (or fear full stop) was always good too.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another lesson today and I was not excited to go. Went twice over the holiday weekend and did not ski well. I allowed myself to get defensive in the variable conditions and made it but not in a fun or nice to look at way. My last run on Monday was a literal nail biter the whole way down by the blowing snow guns. It was hard to see with lots of soft piles. I've never had my lower back hurt so much at the end of a run. I knew I was in the backseat and letting my skis (and fear) drive me.
So today I got out there not knowing what to expect. The temperature was hovering around 34 degrees with drizzle. Went up with my group and stopped at a blue trail I've been on before. My right leg was shaking from nerves. Got through the first couple turns and was told I need to dive my body into the turn or reach for the brass ring in turn initiation to feel the "pinch" in my side. I thought I did it but still not enough. The next run was the nail biter from Monday. The conditions were very different (smooth, groomed, no piles). This time I really tried to reeeeach for that ring and allow my body to dive into the turn. Huge difference. I felt in control and was having fun! Next we went over to the North side of the mountain and skied some steeper terrain that I've never been on before. I just kept thinking about reaching for that ring and using my pole plants (we had worked on that on the flats earlier). I never felt out of control even though I was skiing much faster and steeper terrain than I normally do. I knew I was doing it right from the feel and when the women in my group were cheering me on at the end of the run. The camaraderie from my group and great instruction rekindled my love of the sport. I needed a day like today and I got it!

Jilly

Staff member
Congrats on that break through. I like the "reach for the ring". Instructors have to have a number of ways to say the same thing as people learn different.

On to tomorrow for you!!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! The imagery of the ring really connected the action I need to take on my turns. I'm excited to get back out there :smile:

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went down my first black diamond today. We started by working on side slips and falling leaf on a moderate blue. It's much harder than it looks! Took me two runs to really get the feeling for it. After that went on some new terrain including some nicely spaced bumps. It was fun to practice using my head to lean downhill and into the turn and getting used to the skis following me. When I remembered to do it, I really enjoyed the feeling of letting my skis flatten out in the transition and leaning down into the new turn.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Halfway through my women's lessons now - only five to go. I took a good fall on my hip on my first run today. I almost felt relieved that at least I got that out of the way. I was nervous this morning that I was going to hurt myself. The negative thinking crept into my run and as soon as I saw an icy patch, bam! I've had this happen a few times this season where seemingly out of nowhere my ski catches and I'm down. Completely bewildered how it happened. What I learned today is that my instinct when I get scared (ice, crowds, too fast...) is to stand up and then I crash.

We moved over to the steeper section of the mountain and practiced touching the top of our outside boot as we made our turns. We made our way down an icy black and everyone clapped for me when I got to the bottom. I relaxed when I saw them, stood up and almost wiped out again! We ended back on easier terrain that was fun, almost creamy snow. My instructor told me I don't need to ski with my legs wider than my hips anymore since I'm better than that now. Left the mountain today with a bruised hip, embarrassed ego and a smile on my face.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First off, sorry moderators if I'm taking over this thread. Please advise if I should post elsewhere.

Today was a lesson in commitment. We skied blue and black runs exclusively and worked on leaning down into the new turn. I now realize how critical committing to the turn is. I kept myself low and really tried launching into each turn. To emphasize the feeling, our instructor had us practice jump turns on a black run. I really enjoyed the feeling of literally heading down the trail and feeling my skis automatically follow me around each turn. I also skied the only double black at my hill. Now I know that I'm capable of skiing the whole mountain. I'm still the slowest person in the group but I remain in control and am almost having fun :wink:

The upper/lower body separation is an ongoing issue I have to keep working on. I also find I'm not really sure how far ahead I should be looking. If I look too far, I go faster and start scrubbing speed by pushing my tails (bad habits are hard to break).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna