• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wolf creek

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC Just played guess that run with the family. All had a good time seeing upper feather duster! I think I skied my best moguls ever there last spring.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC Just played guess that run with the family. All had a good time seeing upper feather duster! I think I skied my best moguls ever there last spring.
It's a little harder to find right now because the trail sign isn't set up in a visible spot right now. We're trying to figure out how to get around before the storm that's starting tomorrow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another blue sky day with temps in the 20s. Given that it was Monday without any fresh snow, there weren't many people around.

Trail signs aren't fully set up yet. Need more snow.
Wolf Creek 13Dec2021 - 1.jpeg

A view from a groomer on the Bonaza side
Wolf Creek 13Dec2021 - 2.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wednesday was a storm day. Lifts didn't open until after 10am. Alberta opened after lunch time. Official total was 13 inches. The wind was strong until mid-afternoon.

Heading out around noon
Wolf Creek 15Dec2021 - 1.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Some big storms expected at Wolf Creek in the next couple weeks. Good thing the trail signs are pretty well set up as of last weekend.

From OpenSnow as of 12/22
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.31.50 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The contrast between Wolf Creek and Monarch this month is quite noticeable. Monarch is barely open, while WCSA was 100% open by Dec. 11 and will be caught up in terms of average snowfall after the next storm system finishes up.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 11.29.26 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
WCSA is in full swing for the holidays. Only function that isn't working is buying tickets online. That worked for a few weeks but then ran into issues with processing credit cards.

The base could be 100 inches by next week. :snow:

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 9.53.19 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Totals forecast went up a bit for WCSA. For Colorado, only WCSA and Hesperus are 100% open as of Dec. 23. Buttermilk and Aspen Highlands are over 80% open. Other resorts are below 65%, with Loveland around 20% and ABasin around 10%.

The snow at WCSA last week was not that fluffy, so it really covered up stuff well off-piste. All the mellower terrain was fully "skier packed" by the weekend so that there was less worry about brush by the end of the week. The issue for ski patrol were the trees that came down due to the high winds. The delayed opening one morning was because they were out with saws and chainsaws, which continued for the next couple days.

OpenSnow as of 23Dec2021
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 10.24.46 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Plenty of new snow at Wolf Creek and more on the way. Will be pretty windy the next few days though.

Early January after the kids go back to school is going to be a lot of fun at WCSA.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 10.40.20 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wolf Creek and Monarch are continuing to get the benefit of location. Both are back to the average amount of snowfall for late December. WCSA and Hesperus remain the only places in Colorado that are 100% open in terms of available terrain. There is a Winter Storm Warning/Watch until 5am on Sun, Dec. 27. The winds won't die down until Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.18.47 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what WCSA will be doing for the holiday period in terms of lessons and lift ticket prices. Travelers who are staying in Pagosa Springs are unlikely to be able to get over the pass for a while in any case. South Fork is closer and there is no need to drive over the Wolf Creek Pass. Since the SuperSaver pass is blacked out for the holidays, many locals will be waiting until after Jan. 2 to head back to the slopes.

At WCSA "packed powder" is mostly skier-packed snow. While there are plenty of groomers on the front side (Raven, Bonanza, Treasure) or on the lower mountain (Elma, Charity Jane), there is very little grooming off Alberta except for the access/return trails (Coyote Park, Park Avenue, Orion's Belt).

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.29.52 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Playing around with the options for OpenSnow, I found this forecast summary. The contrast between WCSA and the other Colorado locations I have in my Favorites list is interesting.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 10.24.15 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a Winter Storm Warning for the "Eastern San Juan Mountains Above 10000 Feet" that goes until 5pm, Dec. 29. The Winter Storm Watch issued yesterday goes until 11am, Dec. 29.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga