• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wolf Creek conditions, starting with 2022-23 season

marzNC

Angel Diva
This weekend Raven, Bonanza, and Treasure lifts were open for the first time!

Wolf Creek Ski Area Update as of Nov. 25:

Wolf Creek has received 8 inches of Fresh Snow overnight, bringing our storm total to 22 inches. The snow depth is 26 inches at Midway. Conditions are Powder/Packed Powder with early season conditions and unmarked obstacles. The new snow is fairly light so skiers and boarders should ski with caution and expect rocks and unmarked obstacles. More terrain and lifts will open as conditions allow.

The Nova & Lynx Lift will be operating from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Magic Carpet is open to children in the Wolf Pup and Wolf Rider programs. The Raven and Bonanza Lifts will open at approximately 10:00 a.m. with Treasure Stoke to be announced. The grooming department worked hard throughout the night to cover as much terrain as possible. Lift Tickets will be at the Local Appreciation rates of $66 for adults, $47 for seniors and $33 for children.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wonder if there is snowmaking happening on trails off Raven. That's where the longer greens are to be found. Since the loading are for Raven is easier to reach from the lodge, taking a run over there is a good way to start a ski day during an early season trip. It's cool that day tickets are discounted while the snow depths are thin.

From Wolf Creek Ski Area Update for Nov. 28:

The Alberta, Elma, Charity Jane, Nova, Lynx, Bonanza, and Treasure Stoke Lifts will be operating from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Raven Lift will be closed today, Tuesday, November 28th. The skiing public should use extreme caution when skiing in the Alberta Area due to unconsolidated snowpack. Lift Tickets will be at the Local Appreciation rates of $66 for adults, $47 for seniors and $33 for children until next significant snowfall.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As I work on my packing list for driving out to Colorado next week, it's great to see more terrain opening up at WCSA. Might take along my rock skis, the old BPs with the bull.

From Wolf Creek Ski Area Update for Nov. 29, 7:30am MT:

Wolf Creek has received 24 inches of snow in the last week! The midway snow depth is 20 inches with a year-to-date snowfall total of 39 inches. Conditions are Powder/Packed Powder with early season conditions and unmarked obstacles.Skiers and boarders should ski with caution and expect rocks and unmarked obstacles. More terrain will open as conditions allow.

The Alberta, Elma, Charity Jane, Nova, Lynx, Bonanza, Raven and Treasure Stoke Lifts will be operating from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The skiing public should use extreme caution when skiing in the Alberta Area due to unconsolidated snowpack. Wolf Creek has roughly 60% of Terrain open - including Prospector Ridge!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wolf Creek has re-vamped the snow conditions webpage. I like it. Very easy to reach from the WCSA homepage.

Note that I mostly check online sources for info about snow, lifts, and trails before I am actually at a mountain. Once I get to the lodge and put on my boots, I just go exploring. So not having an app on my phone is not a big deal.

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 3.00.47 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Came across a relatively recent video introduction to Wolf Creek that's an overview while referencing the trail map. Makes pretty good sense. Per usual, more geared to advanced skiers. He doesn't understand the value of the Charity Jane green/blue trails and trees for beginners and intermediates, or senior advanced skiers who are a little tired in the afternoon but not ready to quit quite yet.

There are tips about restrooms, but he didn't learn about the best option. The ski school building is at the top of the Lynx magic carpet near the main base. There is a restroom with an exterior door, and another one inside the building. Our first instructor was a great guide, in addition to being a very good instructor.

November 2022, 10 min

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another video I came across shows the route used for the early December Mountaineering Race called El Lobo Loco organized by USA SKIMO. WCSA has hosted since 2012. The race was this morning, Dec. 2. The first time I learned about a Mountaineering race was at Taos. The bottom line is that racers go UP and ski DOWN all over the mountain. Most of the uphill is on skins but there can be short sections of bootpacking too. There is a Short Course and a Long Course, plus an easy Citizen course. On Dec. 1, there was a Vertical race at WCSA from the base of Alberta to the top of the Treasure lift.

The YouTube video about the route is from 2018. My impression is that the route hasn't changed for a while.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'd heard from the instructor I'm going to work with at Wolf Creek soon that while the snow a couple days ago was "dreamy" there hadn't been enough to avoid trees and what not that are now hidden. One of the OpenSnow guys found something he hadn't planned on and it was captured in pictures.

The storm total at WCSA was 16 inches. The snow depth midway is approaching 3 feet. I'm hoping there will be enough new snow next weekend to get to that point since most of my crew's skiing will be the week of Dec. 11.

December 3, 2023
" . . .
Before getting to the forecast, I want to share a series of pictures from Wolf Creek on Saturday morning. Conditions featured 12 inches of pretty fluffy snow, and some sharks (rocks) still present under the snow. One of these sharks grabbed one of Scott's skis and caused the tumble.
[3 pictures of a face plant in fresh powder]
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a good first day skiing at WCSA today. They got 2-3 inches overnight and it did help.

I think the reason they aren't 100% open isn't really due to low snow levels. The terrain around the area where the new beginner lift is being built is closed. When I bought my lift ticket, I was advised to not try to take Okie Dokie because it's closed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As of Dec. 15, WCSA is 100% open. I think Okie Dokie is still closed due to ongoing work to get the new beginner lift finished. They are hoping to get it operational soon.

I decided to ski this morning before leaving South Fork for Vail. I wanted another adventure run with @Olesya Chornoguz , Bill, and Jason, over on the Alberta side. Our instructor took us to Pitcher's Glade yesterday. We went back to enjoy a few more deep powder turns.

WCSA Pitcher Glade 15Dec2023 - 1.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like WCSA got another night-time storm.

OpenSnow is testing out a Live Snow graphic. Here's the info as of Dec. 23.
Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 4.02.55 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like a gorgeous day at Wolf Creek based on the webcams. Everything is open except the area around the new beginner lift. Meaning all the lodges, food service locations, and restrooms. Can be just as important as having 100% of the terrain open for exploration. The snowcat is running.

I think the RFID lift ticket kiosks in Base Camp may be new. Learned last winter that a kiosk costs around $60K. Presumably the investment helps to have a few for busy holiday periods to keep the ticket window lines from getting too long.

Wolf Creek home page on Dec. 29, 2023
Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 11.25.32 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll think I'll stick to skiing Wolf Creek in December. Instead of considering January. For getting the season started, not that keen on temps in single digits. It was cold enough the first day during my recent trip but after that it was generally in the 20s during the day.

OpenSnow Wolf Creek forecast as of January 5, 9am ET
Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 10.32.29 AM.png

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'll think I'll stick to skiing Wolf Creek in December. Instead of considering January. For getting the season started, not that keen on temps in single digits. It was cold enough the first day during my recent trip but after that it was generally in the 20s during the day.

:brr:

marzNC

Angel Diva
As expected, southern Colorado got lots of snow out of the recent storm system.

From Wolf Creek home page on Jan. 7, 2024
" . . .
Wolf Creek has received 24 inches in 24 hours! The current midway snow depth is 52 inches; with a year to date snowfall total of 108 inches. Conditions are Powder/Packed Powder with unmarked obstacles - skiers and boarders should ski with caution.

The Fun Race for today Sunday, January 7th is canceled.
. . ."

callmijane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been MIA on skidiva, but skiing at Wolfie again this season. I've gotten 5 days there so far this season. We were there right before the big storm on 1/7- good conditions all over, but way overgroomed in the Charity Jane area to keep the Xmas Texas and Oklahoma crowds happy. We'll be there again on Saturday, and maybe Monday. The best snow so far has been in Alberta around Jaybird/Pitches gate, Treasure and Windjammer. DH went into Waterfall and regretted it, as some of the lines are very narrow right now. I'm sure that it's a lot better now, after about 3 ft more of snow. :-D

Can't wait for Saturday!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Been a few weeks since Wolf Creek has had a deep snowstorm, but sounds like there will be a couple good dumps in the next week or so. Here's the final tally for January 2024, from OpenSnow.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 12.05.03 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Powder skiing coming up at Wolf Creek. They got five inches last night. :snow:

Know someone who picked next week a while back as the time to fly west from the northeast to ski WCSA. They know Mother Nature is on their side given the way the snow has been in Colorado so far this season.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 12.06.25 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna