• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why Mount Washington Kills

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a policy of never hiking to the top of anything people can drive to. Probably the least satisfying touristy thing I've ever done is take the train to the top of Pikes Peak, which is just tourist hell, and I think I would have killed myself if I'd hiked up and found that scene.

Hah I actually kind of like Pikes peak despite the crazy tourism thing. Which is funny considering my annoyance with Mt. Wash. There's something about doing a 10 mile hike to the top of a fourteener, grabbing some donuts and a hot chocolate, and watching all the tourists stuff their faces as you prepare to hike 10 back down. Plus I have a soft spot for it because I've done the ascent a few times. Maybe some day I'll do the marathon.

Jenny

Angel Diva

Because the "summit mentality" is very real...people take unnecessary risks to get to the summit, because they feel they've gone so far and are so close to it. Also, the forecast at the summit may not be what is really happening there....weather is super unpredictable.
Doesn't the "summit mentality" thing come into play even on Everest? Seems like maybe I've read that somewhere.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doesn't the "summit mentality" thing come into play even on Everest? Seems like maybe I've read that somewhere.

IMO it comes into play just about everywhere.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yeah along those same lines here we have the "I-90 hikes." There are beautiful hikes in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness 45 minutes from downtown Seattle, half that from the burbs, and with just awful crowds, parking problems, etc. I can't imagine how that could be a satisfying experience but people do them in droves.

That stuff drives me nuts, too, but then I think, " Well, at least people are getting out instead of sitting on the couch."

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I see this a lot in computers and software. Engage in the mockery, sometimes, too. But it's like - why *would* that be obvious? (Although unlike hiking, skiing, and surfing, I think everyone needs some computer literacy.)

Yup.

I've never gone for Pikes Peak, and that's one reason. I also am allergic to most 14ers - not because you can drive to the top (most you can't), but because there's so much dang traffic. Also I suck wind starting at about 11k to the point where it can be a dangerously slow pace. But it's really unappealing to me to hike with the same amount of people you'd expect on a suburban bike path. Or more.

I did ride my road bike up Mt. Evans once. The only people up there were the other cyclists who were as crazy as I was.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW great Pictures Vanhoskier!! I'd be calling for a ride or I'd hitch hike back down the road! Dad drove us up one summer to show us where he skied w/his buddies. all a big wow. I'd like to go back not sure if I'd hike or ride :-)

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah. I was like, "Ooooooooo, a ladder! That looks like fun!"

You should go do the Via ferrata at Nelson Rocks it might be right up your alley (on a side note- I remember back in the good ole days when they first put it up and you didn't need a guide and could just do it on your own if you were taking a day off from climbing.... man times have changed!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hah. I was like, "Ooooooooo, a ladder! That looks like fun!"
Have you ever checked out the indoor rock climbing gyms in Philly? One company seems to have multiple locations. Climbing outdoors is different, but I like to climb indoors for exercise. Plus learned enough to make it more fun when I do get a chance to climb outdoors with people who have all the right equipment and knowledge to lead a climb.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you ever checked out the indoor rock climbing gyms in Philly? One company seems to have multiple locations. Climbing outdoors is different, but I like to climb indoors for exercise. Plus learned enough to make it more fun when I do get a chance to climb outdoors with people who have all the right equipment and knowledge to lead a climb.

I haven't. I did do some rock climbing in college, though. Even owned my own harness. Not sure if I still have it or if I gave it away? It's been so long though. I did go repelling outdoors once with experienced friends. Let's just say I did not enjoy walking backwards off a cliff.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't. I did do some rock climbing in college, though. Even owned my own harness. Not sure if I still have it or if I gave it away? It's been so long though. I did go repelling outdoors once with experienced friends. Let's just say I did not enjoy walking backwards off a cliff.

You would want a new harness. The materials age.

Also, "rappelling" - though it sounds like it repelled you ;-)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Maybe you would enjoy a ropes course more. GoApe has one in DE that isn't too far from you. I've done a few GoApe courses in recent years and they are good fun. Perhaps a summer Diva meetup? :smile:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...w-normal-as-a-coper.15049/page-10#post-268525

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...w-normal-as-a-coper.15049/page-11#post-299481

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe you would enjoy a ropes course more. GoApe has one in DE that isn't too far from you. I've done a few GoApe courses in recent years and they are good fun. Perhaps a summer Diva meetup? :smile:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...w-normal-as-a-coper.15049/page-10#post-268525

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...w-normal-as-a-coper.15049/page-11#post-299481

Actually, I'm not all that big a fan of ropes courses. I don't find them all that interesting. The only one I really enjoyed was the one where I climbed up a telephone poll and then had to jump for a trapeze bar. That was terrifying, but totally fun.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm really not looking to get back into rock climbing or anything. I've got my gymnastics, golf, and hiking in the summer. Spending more money is not something I really need to do. :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did ride my road bike up Mt. Evans once. The only people up there were the other cyclists who were as crazy as I was.

I summited Mt Evans in my cast a few summers back. :tongue:

I totally understand not wanting to be in an area with lots of tourists, but the views from Evans (or any 14er) are so cool. I think it's nice that there is access for people with limited mobility. We forget how lucky we are to be able to hike and climb, not everyone can do that, and there are plenty of avenues for the fit to access cool places. No, it doesn't mean that everywhere should be spoiled, with a lift or road to the top, but we should share a little bit.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is a 14er?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I summited Mt Evans in my cast a few summers back. :tongue:

I totally understand not wanting to be in an area with lots of tourists, but the views from Evans (or any 14er) are so cool. I think it's nice that there is access for people with limited mobility. We forget how lucky we are to be able to hike and climb, not everyone can do that, and there are plenty of avenues for the fit to access cool places. No, it doesn't mean that everywhere should be spoiled, with a lift or road to the top, but we should share a little bit.

Dammit, now I feel guilty. You're right. I'm glad I'll be able to look at the views from a 14er as an 80 year old with an oxygen tank.

What is a 14er?

A mountain whose peak reaches 14,000 feet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna