• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why Mount Washington Kills

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I don't mean to trivialize Mount Washington, b/c I'd take a mountain of that size VERY seriously. Hence why I'd budget more time to get back to my car than it took me to get where I'm at, even if that means I don't make it to the top. I guess I'm just not sure.... if you plan to hike in good weather (top to bottom), you plan plenty of time, and you stick to marked trails... are you still in serious danger? Like as an amateur hiker should I just never attempt? And I'm that... I'm not serious. I just love a good day hike. Like until this thread I would have totally hiked a marked trail if I started early and carried a stocked backpack on a good day, but maybe no?

A few weeks ago a friend told me she was planning on a hike in the White Mountains, solo. She hadn't done a hike that long in years. She asked me whether I thought she'd be fine, and I replied that as long as there wasn't snow/ice, her pack had the 10 essentials, and the weather was clear, she'd be fine. Her response was that she hadn't even thought of snow but didn't think there was any because there wasn't any where she was.

This is where many people would have stopped seeking information and just gone up and hiked. Technically, my friend did stop seeking information.

I emailed someone who had more recently been up, who told me that anyone attempting the hike right now needed traction for their shoes because the ridge was iced over. At that point, my friend decided to hike something else (she also emailed me her plans, told me she'd text me by x time, and gave me emergency contact info.). It turned out fine.

In early spring, especially in bad snow years, many people don't realize that even though it looks like spring outside their windows, it can still be winter at the higher elevations 100 miles elsewhere. Additionally, a curious aspect of human nature is that it is not infrequent that when people encounter sketchy terrain or weather, they forge on even when they should turn around, or they underestimate the weather. We suck at decisionmaking when the eye is on the prize and become very focused on the goal, despite warning signs.

My best advice is to get as much information as you can about conditions, terrain, route, and weather beforehand (lots of online hiking forums these days and traditional guidebooks); stay observant of changing weather conditions, the sun/daylight, and your pace; make sure your pack has the 10 essentials in case something freakish happens; and be okay with reaching your personal summit -- it doesn't need to be the actual one.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually have no plans to hike Mount Washington. Was mostly just curious if it was a no for a more recreational hiker like myself. :smile:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say, realistically, as long as you turn around when you see signs of either incoming storm (risk of lightning strikes above tree line) or other bad weather, you'd be fine. I mean, yes, it's possible you could sprain your ankle really badly above tree line as a storm is coming in, but that's a lot of factors coming into play. You could also get run over by a car, but you don't avoid crossing the street - you just do your best to pay attention.

Ironically, probably both of those things could happen to you while hiking Mt. Washington.

(I'm still salty about doing a long hike in crappy conditions only to pull up to a road with a bunch of tourists in a van snapping photos of me like I was in a damn zoo- and THEN still having a mile or so to hike to the summit).

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
If it's the same person I am thinking of, his is a very controversial rescue among New England mountaineers. @TeleChica is acquainted with him.

ETA - After more thought, I think a lot of incidents on Mt. Washington arise because of how accessible it is, the quickly changing weather and awareness of the changes, and the trip plans for many people do not include a Plan B.

I agree on both counts.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I actually have no plans to hike Mount Washington. Was mostly just curious if it was a no for a more recreational hiker like myself. :smile:

Well, the Tuckerman route is INCREDIBLY rocky. You are doing more scrambling than hiking, and you really need a good pair of study leather hiking boots. I've hiked a lot....fourteeners in Colorado, a good part of the Grand Staircase National Monument (the most remote region in the lower 48), the High Peaks, Sangre de Cristos and Jemez Mtns of New Mexico, Bitterroots in Montana, Iceland...and the New Hampshire Presidentials are the rockiest I've ever hiked. It's a fairly large elevation gain in a short distance, so the weather changes rapidly, and you are above treeline for most of the way.

I've been caught in thunderstorms in the CO Rockies...during a 6-week field course with a crazy professor who took unnecessary risks....and despite descending to below treeline, several times we encountered rapidly rising streams which cut off our descent route. Scary. One of those required a water rescue of a fellow classmate.

Bottom line: Never underestimate ANY mountain.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Dad went to Tuckerman's every year this photo was from the 50's on Old Straight skis check those bamboo poles.. and here's a video from an Expert skiing it..

Attachments

• Dad at Tuckermans.jpg
    Dad at Tuckermans.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 25

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's video of the trail if anyone wants to see the trail:

elemmac

Angel Diva
(I'm still salty about doing a long hike in crappy conditions only to pull up to a road with a bunch of tourists in a van snapping photos of me like I was in a damn zoo- and THEN still having a mile or so to hike to the summit).

I remember reaching the summit for the first time, I was 12, and my mom and I dragged my older brother along for a hike (he is not the hiking type) and I still remember the look on his face when we reached the top and people were walking around in flip flops...:eek: "What?!?! We could have DRIVEN up here!!!"

Christy

Angel Diva
The mountains here that have the most incidence of search and rescue are the ones that aren't difficult hikes, and are close to the city. They tend to attract the kind of people that don't have any outdoor skills. Also due to heavy use there are lots of social trails, which can get you lost.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen people in a pair of running shorts and a t-shirt, with one of those stupid drawstring backpacks that probably has their phone and a snickers bar in it, carrying like a bottle of Pepsi hiking a fourteener. A mile from the trailhead on their way up as I am on my way down from summitting, with storm clouds rolling in as they often do in the mountains out here around 2p in the summer. SO MANY TIMES.

This makes me crazy- I see it all the time too, especially among trail runners. Last year I was off trail in a spot I knew, in October, in pretty cold weather, and this woman in a tank top and itty-bitty shorts and absolutely no supplies whatsoever suddenly comes upon me and asks where she is. She'd gotten off trail but didn't realize it. To me that is saying that you have a huge disregard for the people that are going to risk their butts to come out and find you when you are lost and hypothermic.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Here's video of the trail if anyone wants to see the trail:

It's a lot rockier towards the summit than what you see here. I think @MaineSkiLady has some photos of her DH, me, and my DH near the summit. In fact, I know she has a VIDEO of it!!!

The disappointing thing about is it, you do all that work, then get to the summit, which is a parking lot full of tourists who drove up there, who then pose around the summit sign as if they hiked it!!!!! Here's DH and me on the summit in July a few years ago...it's wilderness on the hike up, but not the summit! Parking lot, visitor's station, cafeteria, weather station (the weather station is really awesome).
MTWashington.jpg

That would totally be something we would do, drive up there and pose by the sign. I also posed by the Mavercks sign in Half Moon Bay and everyone can be rest assured that noone thought I surfed there. I'm not much of a hiker but I'd love to drive up to Mount Washington and scope out the views. The wild weather fascinates me.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember reaching the summit for the first time, I was 12, and my mom and I dragged my older brother along for a hike (he is not the hiking type) and I still remember the look on his face when we reached the top and people were walking around in flip flops...:eek: "What?!?! We could have DRIVEN up here!!!"

I have an experience like that from my first backpacking trip, to one of the AMC huts. I summited with my overpacked pack, only to find people who had driven up sitting there picnicking. Not to say that backpackers don't picnic, but these people weren't backpackers, and I pretty much had the same reaction as your brother!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
That would totally be something we would do, drive up there and pose by the sign. I also posed by the Mavercks sign in Half Moon Bay and everyone can be rest assured that noone thought I surfed there. I'm not much of a hiker but I'd love to drive up to Mount Washington and scope out the views. The wild weather fascinates me.
You can take a tour up there via the auto road in the winter on a Snowcat. :smile:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But you can do this! You'd probably scramble up like a jackrabbit!

We can practice on rock piles here in PA first. I'll be like Rocky training...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga