• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's in your pockets? And how do you deal with multiple outfits?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
:fear:I'm scared to death to wear a backpack on the slopes; I've watched people hanging by them when they went to get off the chairlift and the backpack got caught!!!!!

altagirl

Staff member
:fear:I'm scared to death to wear a backpack on the slopes; I've watched people hanging by them when they went to get off the chairlift and the backpack got caught!!!!!
I know a guy who had crampons attached to his pack and got stuck to the chair and got dragged around the bullwheel. It was quite a scene, apparently. Though mostly we were like WTF with the crampons at a resort?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know a guy who had crampons attached to his pack and got stuck to the chair and got dragged around the bullwheel. It was quite a scene, apparently. Though mostly we were like WTF with the crampons at a resort?

This reminds me of the "Gaper spirit animal" (those of you who are nicer than me, look away):

a-gaper.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
A shovel and 2 Go-Pro's?? One looking forward and one looking back.....And he's the guy that would lose his nice gloves...

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

This kind of happened to me once, except that I was stuck on the chair and could not get off at all. I almost always ski with a backpack - carry lunch for me and the kids so that we have flexibility to eat anywhere on the mountain. One day I was skiing by myself while my kids were in ski school. The mountain was not crowded, so I was on the lift by myself. The chairs ahead of and behind me were empty. When it came time for me to get off of the lift, I could not move - the strap on my backpack was caught on the chair. The chair started to make the turn to head back down the hill. I thought I was going to have to go back down the mountain, but then the lift operator noticed me and stopped the chair. Luckily no one saw me except for the lift guy. I now check to make sure I do not have any loose straps on my backpack.

The pockets discussion has been interesting. I cannot wait until I can ski with just my stuff and no backpack!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I left CO and went to TX for college (but only briefly) ... one spring break I was back with my Texan buddies skiing at ABasin, and my fanny pack got stuck in the backrest of the chair, and yes, I went around the bullwheel too. Norway lift. Yep.

(Geez that was almost 30 years ago! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not a fan of backpacks + lifts, though I've done it. The scariest experience has been Silverton, where a large backpack (for all your avy gear) is mandatory, it's a double with no bar, and the exit at the top can be a bit awkward.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't skied without a backpack for a few years now. I don't go up without avy gear as I never know in advance where I will end up skiing, bumping into a friend at the station can change plans. No problems with lifts, on old chair lifts I just take it off. I am very used to it now and it offers great convenience - I hate having too many things in my pockets.

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mt High won't let you wear back packs on the lift, must be removed. I had my cat tracks on a carabiner hanging below my jacket at Mammoth and they got stuck when I went to get off. They broke before dragging me very far. So was embarrassed and broken gear to boot.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Well, I still wear a fanny pack. I hope the ski fashion police don't arrest me. :wink:

When I take a lesson, the instructor often asks me to remove the fanny pack. I feel naked without it, and generally manage to forget something.

I like it because it remains packed for the duration of my trip. If I have worn something that was stored in the pack, such as a neck gaiter, I let it dry then repack it the night before. I generally try to be organized in the evening, so I can leave fairly quickly in the morning. :ski:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm nearly non-functional in the morning. I try to have everything laid our the night before unless it's drying, in which case it needs to be where can't miss seeing it. Out-of-sight, Out-of-mind.

abc

Banned
I'm nearly non-functional in the morning.
I'm the same.

I try to have everything laid our the night before unless it's drying, in which case it needs to be where can't miss seeing it. Out-of-sight, Out-of-mind.
I lay them out to dry as soon as I got back from skiing. So by the time I'm ready for bed, they're usually dry enough to be put back into (or at least "on") wherever they belong.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A leash sewn into a pants pocket is nice to have - one with a small clip that you can just clip your keys to.

FoxyRoxy

Diva in Training
Holy Cow! In my jacket pockets I carry only: my iPhone (with my music on it also, so no second device, and bluetooth in my helmet, so no wires), a Chapstick, and a pack of sugarless gum (because it's lighter than water but moistens my dry mouth between water fountain stops at the base).

That's it: three items. Oh, and a twenty in a pocket of my ski pants for emergencies. Of course I have the advantage of a locker and a DH, but he doesn't carry much more: just keys and his wallet. We ski light, I guess, preferring to stop if we need something rather than carry any extras.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga