• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you think of "No Snowboards" policy?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How old is your son exactly MSL? Might be the first diva inspired love connection!

Hah! Actually MSL and I have chatted about her son and I meeting up at some point but good god don't put that kind of pressure on us! :eek: Although I may give him a call for a snowboard lesson one of these days. :laughter:

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah! Actually MSL and I have chatted about her son and I meeting up at some point but good god don't put that kind of pressure on us! :eek: Although I may give him a call for a snowboard lesson one of these days. :laughter:

Ahh, I can see it now. A modern day Romeo & Juliet, the Hatfields & McCoys, skiers & snowboarders living in harmony together... ! :laughter:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to defend them because some are treated unfairly purely by virtue of being snowboarders. Some are not punks and some are not teenagers. They are merely on a different type of equipment wearing a style of clothing that they deem more comfortable. That's not a basis for immediately assuming that anyone is a punk. But I've seen it happen, right in front of my face, standing next to that non-punk-non-teenager. I know it's out there.

Oh definately, I used my board once last season and standing all of 5 feet tall, obviously mistaken for a teenager, I was appalled at how I was treated. I must have gotten used to it my prime, but jumping back in after a dry spell, it was really apparent and sad. I could go into how some of the oldtimers at our hill run snowboarders off the cliff into the creek, but it would probably freak people out. We are talking men well into their 40's and 50's and the snowboarders, can be any age 13, 24, they don't care. And yes the snowboarders do get hurt. And no the skiers don't get in trouble because they go to their longtime patroller friends first and say the snowboarder cut them off. And with the universal rap snowboarders get, why shouldn't they be believed?

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could go into how some of the oldtimers at our hill run snowboarders off the cliff into the creek, but it would probably freak people out. We are talking men well into their 40's and 50's and the snowboarders, can be any age 13, 24, they don't care. And yes the snowboarders do get hurt. And no the skiers don't get in trouble because they go to their longtime patroller friends first and say the snowboarder cut them off. And with the universal rap snowboarders get, why shouldn't they be believed?

Terrible! Wtf!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Terrible! Wtf!

Tell me about it, especially when they were younger kids. The boarders have now broken a new trail ( the stinkyfoot they call it ) above the outrun, and most know to use it, but I did see someone down in the creekbed a couple weeks ago. I don't know for sure if they got run in or missed the traverse in the trees above and missed the culvert. Sometimes that happens too, but the ski patrol were onsight, so I think mabe they did get run in.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
See? Now that's what I get for actually trying to get some REAL WORK done for a couple of hours - - the tide happily begins to change! :becky: :clap:
TriMom and I have pm-waxed poetic about our great sons (hers is off the college next fall).
For the record, my son is 26. He is a L3 AASI certified instructor, a shy guy, not real tall (5-8?) but wayyy cute (of course, what else could I say, I'm the mom here). And a certified fitness trainer, so in super-shape. He can also cook. Get in line. (Not real tidy, however, caveat)

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I made an observation that snowboarders at Brighton seemed more mellow and bothered me less than in the past. Is it because I notice them less because I have grown accustomed to having them on the slopes? Or are they growing up and coming of age?

One person commented that many of the older ones are moving into skiing. I had lately noticed more rude male skiers lately and wondered why. I've witnessed some pretty confrontational behavior in the lines.

I have to remind myself--it's not the equipment, it's the person riding that equipment who is rude/inconsiderate

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thing I don't get is when a child wants to snowboard and his parents say "no you have to learn to ski first". I don't get what the diffrence is. If you want your child to love being on the hill, let them pick whatever they want to ride. Maybe they won't like snowboarding and try skiing, you never know, but pushing them to ski when what they really want to do is snowboard isn't a very good idea. IMHO
I am a mother that has said this vary thing. It's not about punishing them, its about being able to help them learn. I would be worthless trying to help them to board. It is said that below a certain age it is easier for a child to learn to ski, just do to the dynamics of the sport.

I have also talked to people who have switched between the two. I have been told by more than one person, it is easier to go from skiing to boarding and back again than to go from boarding to skiing. Those that learned how to board first, have a much harder time learning to ski later (it's the leaning back/body postion thing-from what I have been told).

As far as ski only resorts - I enjoy skiing them. Each resort knows its customer base and if they can prosper as a ski only then more power to them. In an area like UTAH it is perfect, there are so many resorts close together, it's not that big of a deal.

Personally I don't mind a few "groomers" taking out some of the bumps (The bumps still make me nervous). Trying to anticipate their next move is much more difficult.

I see a lot of 30, 40 & 50+ boarders, and trust me age make a difference. Possibly, because their parents were skiiers and taught them the rules or because they actually had to take lessons from a Pro instead of their buddies, becasue their buddies didn't know how to board either, yet. That and as they get older, they actually start to pay attention to the rules and READ them instead of say "Rules, I didn't see andy rules. Sign, what sign?".

abc

Banned
See? Now that's what I get for actually trying to get some REAL WORK done for a couple of hours - - the tide happily begins to change!
Until Jake Burton came out and reminded us even non-teenager boarders are proud to be jerks.

I don't have a problem with individual boarders who use the hill the same way skiers do, to the extend they can. But the currently negative image of boarders are created by boarders of the past. And will stay with us skiers, often reenforced by new act of other boarders. It's unfortunately upon the shoulder of your son and other boarders like him to change the perception. Against the backward tide turning by Jake Burton and those who warship him.

The "tide" is made up of individual water droplets. Your son is only one of them. He can act responsively. But unless he can make a bigger impact by recruiting other boarders and make a new wave, he'll continue to suffer the consequence.

A resort that prohibits snowboarding is of no interest to me, and that's not just because my DH, DD, and DS ride snowboards. If rider etiquette and safety are issues, then mountains should have more safety patrol out there. Frankly, I've encountered really courteous riders and skiers and really rude riders and skiers. Yes, I do get a little anxious on lifts if I'm sandwiched between two boards, but since riders have no place to put their boards, think about how it is for them! Gondolas and shuttle buses often don't have holders big enough for snowboards, and lots of ski storage areas don't either.

I think that snowboarding saved the ski industry economically by offering something new for alpine resorts. I also think it breathed fresh air into a sport dominated by white male racers and bump skiers. Would we be skiing on such cool mid-fat and fat skis were it not for Jake Burton and his progeny? I seriously doubt it.

When I first started skiing, I watched a Warren Miller movie from the late 90s called Snowriders. That's what we all are, snow riders, looking to find new ways to enjoy moving downhill on snow.

:snow:

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that the issue is more about young men who do not pay attention / poor manners on the hill. Boarders who sit in the way drive me nuts, as do those who go on hills steeper than they can manage, and slip all the snow away. I once confronted a group of guys as to why they were slipping the hill, and was brought up short by a VERY polite teen/young man: "Sorry m'am but we have never been here, and don't know where to go that is not so steep." I happily directed them....:D

I see many wonderful and polite boarders - when folks are good they are beautiful to watch. But yes, there is a disproportionate number who are young and reckless. I've heard that the rule of thumb is that it takes 3 days to "get it" on a board -- to know just enough to head out beyond the beginner slopes but not enough to really be in control.

I do prefer ski-shaped moguls and love the runs which have a hike out, which usually boarders do not want to take.

Jen

abc

Banned
Would we be skiing on such cool mid-fat and fat skis were it not for Jake Burton and his progeny?
Actually, the midfat carver that's all the rage today doesn't really appeal to me all that much. When you're into powder and trees, the "carvers" don't have much in the way of advantage. Nor can you really "carve" on the edge on un-groomed surfaces. Today's fat powder skis may be fat, but they're not shaply like their snowboard-inspired groomer specific counterparts.

Having gone from straight ski to shaped ski and back to skis with lesser sidecuts, I'm not much of a benefector of the snowboarding industry. So if you will forgive me for not being grateful of their contribution. ;-)

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thing I don't get is when a child wants to snowboard and his parents say "no you have to learn to ski first". I don't get what the diffrence is.
Part of the issue with young children snowboarding is that their head is the heaviest part of their body. Falls in snowboarding tend to whip the upper body and head (which is why I will never try it--too many neck issues already), especially in people, i.e. young children, that don't have the best skills at body control. So there's a major camp of snow and medical professionals that recommend waiting until at least age 7 before starting snowboarding due to the increased risk of head injury in young children, and, in fact, some ski areas will not instruct before that age. Falls in skiing, on the other hand, tend to affect the lower body predominantly, little ones are accustomed to falling in that manner, and learning to ski first teaches balance and body control that will make learning snowboarding much easier when it eventually happens.

As for skiing at a board-banning resort, I really like it. It's just so much nicer--quieter, more relaxing, and snow conditions more tailored to me.

Reading some of the Diva posts about Alta and Taos, however, I can see that at a certain level of skiing, it might not work for skiers to share certain terrain with riders. Maybe if there were more "snowboarding only" places, it would feel more balanced. And what would that sort of place look like? No flat areas!

:laugh:

altagirl

Staff member
Actually, the midfat carver that's all the rage today doesn't really appeal to me all that much. When you're into powder and trees, the "carvers" don't have much in the way of advantage. Nor can you really "carve" on the edge on un-groomed surfaces. Today's fat powder skis may be fat, but they're not shaply like their snowboard-inspired groomer specific counterparts.

Having gone from straight ski to shaped ski and back to skis with lesser sidecuts, I'm not much of a benefector of the snowboarding industry. So if you will forgive me for not being grateful of their contribution. ;-)

I like a variety of skis, so certainly some of that was snowboard inspired. But my FAVORITE skis these days are my reverse camber/reverse sidecut skis that were inspired by waterskis, not snowboards.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe if there were more "snowboarding only" places, it would feel more balanced. And what would that sort of place look like? No flat areas!

:laugh:
Pretty much. With Jumps, boxes, rails, tables and other such furniture on every run, don't forget the half pipe, with maybe one run for those that just want to carve and a bunny hill. The hill I ski would be very happy being snowboard or freestyle skiing only.

abc

Banned
Reading some of the Diva posts about Alta and Taos, however, I can see that at a certain level of skiing, it might not work for skiers to share certain terrain with riders. Maybe if there were more "snowboarding only" places, it would feel more balanced. And what would that sort of place look like? No flat areas!:laugh:
It's not "to share certain terrain with riders", it's the share with unskilled boarders part.

An unskilled skier is not pushing all the snow away but an unskilled boarder is. That makes the surface condition very different, especially during poor snow period.

A skilled boarder? By all means. I think the "Taos local" diva got it right. After the initial novelty period, I think 90% of the boarders will stay away from Taos BY CHOICE. The terrain there is simply not for the joe-average snowboarders. While Alta's "no boot pack" policy will mean even if they open the "resort" to boarding, the best part of the mountain will still be effectively closed to boarders. They simply can't get there without taking their boards off.

I don't have as much problem with boarder personally, partly because I'm not a groomer cruiser. Take my current favorate resorts, Pico and Plattekill. They're open to boarding. But skier out number boarder considerably. Why? Because neither of them believe in grooming! So moguls grew faster than roaches!!! What I found ironic is, snowboards excel in powder but many boarders can't ride powder!

Like I said, good boarders? They're welcome everywhere! Bad boarders? I'm so glad there're still places I can go to get away from them for a while.

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing that sticks in my head is that the people who came forward to help my husband right away after his injury were mostly riders, not skiers. Young riders.

That said, this was at Timberline, which seems to have mostly well-behaved riders. Once I get off of the greens, I seem to have fewer rider issues. Things get cut close, occasionally, but I've had skiers do the same as well. But we also have a number of older riders, adults who've taken up snowboarding, as well as kids.

My instructor told me that skiing is harder to learn, but easier to master. Snowboarding is harder to master but easier to learn. He's still working on getting certified as a snowboard instructor but I'd say he's a pretty good ski instructor--after two separate private sessions, I really see the difference in my own performance!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like a variety of skis, so certainly some of that was snowboard inspired. But my FAVORITE skis these days are my reverse camber/reverse sidecut skis that were inspired by waterskis, not snowboards.

I think the original Sims, Kempers and Burtons were reverse sidecut in the tips with a straight tail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga