• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I"m not an audio book person, so I can't comment comparing the two versions. The first three are truly among my most favorite books of all time. If you are looking to escape into some books, I'd read them.

ok, I am intrigued now. Not usually a fan of the genre, but I'm going to give this a go. Thanks GG.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
The first one, Daughter of the Forest, is a beautiful and adult (not in a sexual adult)re telling of the Seven Swans fairy tale. I won't say more than that. The rest of them build on that.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm reading the 'new' Harper Lee book. It's slow going, and I know a lot of people don't care for it because they think it a sequel to TKAM but if you read it as an early draft it's actually quite interesting. However, the editor that made the suggestion to change the MC's age and other things was really brilliant I believe.

I'm also reading the newest Robin Hobb book as @bounceswoosh mentioned. I'm making much more progress on the fantasy book than the other one, which is no surprise as I'm a total sucker for Hobb's writing and characters. I will have to check out that series @geargrrl mentioned for my next fantasy fix (I like to mix up the genres a bit otherwise I get too stuck in one)!

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't decide. If I do, it won't be right away.

Okay so this is the first I'm hearing of the fourth book actually happening! I'm cautiously excited because I'm not sure how much of a letdown it might be to have it written by someone else. I sooooooo loved the first 3 books though!

Same here, I loved the trilogy and am somehow excited about this. A friend is going to read it, so I could wait what she says. But I know my me :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the sci-fi/fantasy genre, among others, especially multi-volume sagas. I love reading about cold places on a hot day (talk about escapist), so there are some great leads here for me to follow, thank you. My favorite is the His Dark Materials trilogy.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Just finished The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. It's been a while since I got so caught up that I didn't want to stop, but this one did it for me. Couldn't wait to come home and finish it tonight.

Now onto another one by her, Bellman & Black.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Books... my other love. I recently finished a book called "Elizabeth Street" which was really, really good. Not my typical genre though. I will actually read anything, in any genre, but I really love fantasy. I am about to start Robin Hobb's "The Rainwild Chronicals" because I can't get enough of that world. At the moment, though, I'm reading a book about a murder that happened in TN back in the early 50's (based on a true story).

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read all 3 of Flynn's books this spring...all equally creepy.

I'm now on book 4 of the "Woods Cop" series by James Heywood.....stories about a DNR officer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, based on actual events in most cases. It's been fun to read about the history of the area, and get glimpses into places I hadn't been to in a while. My grandpa had actually told my dad about one of the incidents in a later book - he was one of the kids involved in the escapade. :-)

I'm also in the middle of re-reading "The Cat Who" series by Lilan Jackson Braun. Talk about beach reads - murder mysteries in which a journalist and a Siamese cat sniff out all the clues. The series started in 1960-something and ended in 1992(?), so super interesting to watch the changes in locations, decor, clothing, and phrasing over the years.

When I gt done with all that, I'll likely dig out The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series for their umpteenth re-read.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm now on book 4 of the "Woods Cop" series by James Heywood.....stories about a DNR officer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, based on actual events in most cases. It's been fun to read about the history of the area, and get glimpses into places I hadn't been to in a while. My grandpa had actually told my dad about one of the incidents in a later book - he was one of the kids involved in the escapade. :-)
These sound interesting . . .

@volklgirl - Do they have to be read in order?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny - Not necessarily, but each one introduces characters that appear in later books (or at least they have so far). I'll check with mom to see if I can send them your way when I'm done. They are written in such a way that you actually end up reading them in Yooperese. Hehehe.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
For those who read the 'Millenium Trilogy' by Stieg Larsson, are you planning to read 'The Girl in the Spider's Web'?
I downloaded this to my Nook last night. It is very good. I think I like the writing even better. It's a bit more subdued.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished Poldark by Winston Graham. I decided to read it after seeing the BBC production on PBS.

Now I'm starting the new book about the Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I've read a lot of his books and always enjoy them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny - Not necessarily, but each one introduces characters that appear in later books (or at least they have so far). I'll check with mom to see if I can send them your way when I'm done. They are written in such a way that you actually end up reading them in Yooperese. Hehehe.
Cool - thanks.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Whoever mentioned Jasper Fforde, thank you. Just finished the first Thursday Next book and will start the next one pretty quick. In the meantime, I read Connie Willis The Doomsday Book and then checked out the second one in that series so I have to finish it first.. I'd read three and four a long time ago and didn't realize they weren't the first ones.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finished, "The Martian"....movie looks good w/Matt Damon. Reading now, "Boys In the Boat" + "Girl in the Spider's Web". Next will be "The Long Life" which just got a nomination for National Book Award. Excited about them all.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I just finished Poldark by Winston Graham. I decided to read it after seeing the BBC production on PBS.

Now I'm starting the new book about the Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I've read a lot of his books and always enjoy them.

Are you enjoying the Wright Brothers? How does it compare with some of McCullogh's other works?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Are you enjoying the Wright Brothers? How does it compare with some of McCullogh's other works?

I liked it, but I always like his stuff. It was different in that it wasn't as massive as his other books like The Great Bridge or Mornings on Horseback, but this could be a plus for a lot of people.

Right now I'm reading Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson, about, yeah, Stonewall Jackson, who was quite a character. So far, so good. I also just finished Being Mortal, which is an examination of how we can better live with age-related frailty, serious illness, and approaching death. Yes, serious, sobering issues, but it was actually quite good.

Another book I read recently and liked: Our Souls at Night, by Kent Haruf, a novel about a couple that has a relationship after their spouses have died. A very quiet book -- some might say slow moving -- but lovely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga