• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What age should your child start skiing?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any never evers?

Anyone out there putting their kids on skis for the first time this year?

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This will be my son's 2nd year , he's been talking about it for 3 weeks now. After reading Squaw's post about wishing she'd signed her children up for a program for the social aspect, I'm checking on our local hill's program & waiting to hear back. It sounds cool. 12 days of coaching, same coach & same team of kids. Consistent day of the weekend. Pick a Sat schedule or a Sun schedule & the years schedule is already posted. End of season celebration,awards, BBQ , non-competitive. And a season pass to boot. $475. for the whole deal.

I think this is a great solution to the occasional mad house conditions of ski school on the weekends. No waiting in lines,no paperwork,no rental or ticket lines. Just a relaxed walk from the pking lot to the meeting place, hello how was your week , lets go. How stress free can that get ?

NannyMin

Banned
My youngest little guy (3.5 yrs) that I care for is so excited about his upcoming 2nd season. I just took him and his older brother and got them all geared up. I anticipate this being a great season for him. Last year he loved it, but was a bit timid and did better with me than the instructor. We maintained contact with his instructor throughout the summer and he keeps asking when he gets to ski with Mr. S again.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I taught my daughter when she was three. I'd ski the morning, then my husband would show up with the daughter at the side of the trail and I'd ski about 2 - 3 hours with her. There were lots of hot chocolate breaks and over the next 5 years there was a fair amount of "I'm cold" and "Wafer me!" going on, but she became a ski racer and can out-ski me now. I think her underlying nature was timid due to my worry about her being kidnapped or something (my only child and within 35 miles of NYC) but the harsh weather and the race to keep up with mom may have been good for her. There were lots and lots of chair rides together where we really talked over the years. She skied before she rode a bike and to this day she really doesn't like bicycling near as much as she enjoys skiing. We have a really close bond that is unlike the one I had with my mom and I think it's because of the hours and hours of shared time with no outsiders (even Dad) interfering with us.

I first skiied when I was 2. Skiing on my own when I was 3-4 (with dad & mom close behind!) I say, the earlier, the better! :ski:

violetx3g3

Certified Ski Diva
How do you decide when your child is ready? I've seem some teeney tiny ones out there. How do you know when the time is right?

My girls all started at about 4 years of age, with me taking them down. They all loved going down, it was all fun, and mom carrying them on the lifts. The youngest at about 6 went to ski school/snowboard school in the AM's so the other 3 of us could do the mountain at our speed. All 3 have switched to snowboarding (leaving me in skis) but love the mountains. We hit the snow every winter as a four pack in the mornings then split the afternoons by who wants to do what or go where. We always have at least one friend along who's family isn't into snow too. We live in Michigan so it is a great place to teach kids and for them to learn and explore on their own, because all the runs are so short, and areas on the small side. My husband plucks along with us he likes skiing and being with us, but is so slowwww. Last year we did vail 2 days, breckenridge, and keystone over winter break it was amazing!!!
good times had by all. The kids always loved being outside in the winter, the crisp air, fun of just being together for day. :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My wife and I are planning on starting two of our kids out this year. My daughter will be 5 next week and my son will be 4 in Jan. I think my other son that will be two in Dec. is a little to young. I found this web sight doing some research on this very subject. Both of my kids are very active in all the sports offered to them at this age, Soccer, dance, basketball, and ice skating. I am hoping that they will enjoy skiing as well.
Last year was my wifes first time down the slope and the first time in 13 years for me! We both loved it and are going to try and turn it into a family thing, Wish me luck!:laugh:

They should do great ... the ice skating will especially help.

You can always pick up some cheap little strap-on skis for the 2 year old and let him/her tromp around on flat ground to get used to the sensation. Depending on the child, 2 isn't necessarily too young.

And it IS a great family thing! My kids are now 12 and 9, and skiing is a huge part of our family time, from a low-key Saturday excursion all the way to the only times they have traveled out of the country (Canada -- not too far -- and Europe). It's a super excuse for a lot of things, ha ha.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
won't hurt won't help

Two is not too young to put kids in boots and skis and slip around with them at the base on a warm day to give them a feeling of what's to come. At two though, they don't have the motor or muscular skills to really ski though, so don't expect miracles. My daughter was born in the spring, so almost three during ski season of her second year, but I have a neice that was about this age last year. She wanted to ski so badly, unlike her older sister, she would put her sisters boots on and head for the skis while they were trying to get the other ones snow boots on. Essentially one was taking the ski boots off outside throwing a fit and the younger one was cashing in on the opportunity my poor siblings would be left with two toddlers in stocking feet at the rope tow. One wanting to ski, and one wanting to get the hell out of there. I did ski a couple of laps with the 2 yo, and even though she wanted to go and has thigh muscles like the hulk, I still had to hold her up entirely. So expect to give him a taste and not much more. As for being a family sport, it's one of the best ones I can think of you won't regret it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just a note here: the above mentioned quote from ItsMyFault has been deleted, along with his -- yes his membership. As all of you know, this forum is for women only. We do our best not to make exceptions, but sometimes some guy slips in -- even though our forum policy posted on the site begins with the following:

TheSkiDiva.com is a site for women skiers. Please do not attempt to register unless you are a woman.

I don't do this to be mean or arbitrary or spiteful or man-hating. It's simply my feeling that once you begin letting a guy in here and a guy in there, it soon becomes like any other ski forum on the web. And then it wouldn't be the same.

I trust that all of you feel the same way; otherwise you wouldn't be here.

This is discussed further in this thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.....

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
understandable

We understand, I tried to resist the urge to respond..But putting a two year old on skis is so borderline people just need to know what to expect so they don't end up ruining the sport for the kids. You know what I mean.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well someone has to be the "Rule Enforcer" and I guess, ah , that would be you ! As nice as we all are, rules are rules & we like them the way they are. Well handled Diva.

Thank you, Wendy. I respect the rules here, and I expect others to, as well. I'm glad he found our posts helpful (that was a little eye opener for me as to who all reads these posts!)

I feel more comfortable knowing that this site is for women only.....just because there are SO MANY sites out there for men....and I kindof feel edged out....or their competitive "thingy" starts happening,:yell: and it's just TOO DARN DIFFICULT TO JUST BE ME!!!:D

So, Thank YOU, SKI DIVA....for keeping this for the female ego!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I responded, didn't even realize it wasn't a woman. For all I know, it was. (Heather Can Have Two Mommies?) Also didn't realize that men weren't allowed, at all. I just thought they weren't allowed in the Divas Only section.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I responded, didn't even realize it wasn't a woman. For all I know, it was. (Heather Can Have Two Mommies?) .
The same thought went through my mind. Weird, I truly hope it was a man afterall.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, I responded, didn't even realize it wasn't a woman. For all I know, it was. (Heather Can Have Two Mommies?) I just thought they weren't allowed in the Divas Only section.

You shouldn't be sorry. It's not like it was anything to be shocked about. Made me laugh when I read his post this morning, then my husband asked my why I was laughing ! I told him about it being women only, men can lurk & read, they just aren't allowed to comment or give their opinions.

I hadn't thought about the two mommies, know several families with 2 moms. But that was definately a male post. Refer to the wife & kids in the same paragraph, but they are always "my kids." When women bring their spouse into a conversation along w/the kids, it's "our" kids, unless specifying some that are not "his". But mostly it's ours.

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My three began skiing at different ages, the oldest began skiing later and the youngest skied earlier. I think that's pretty normal since the youngest wants to get out on the mountain with the older sibs. However, one major point that we realized is that the youngest definitely benefitted from our (parents) teaching experience we gained from teaching the older two. We knew what not to do by then and knew what to do to get success!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thought I'd throw my .02 into this older thread. You know, this is kind of like the old discussion of when's the "right" age for a kid to walk? By golly, most of them eventually get it right! :smile: Some are going to be ready at 3, some at 4, some at 5. I do agree that it's never too soon to get a kid into the whole routine/groove of heading out to go skiing, even if parents are doing a switch-off. Also lots of fun play-time in the snow, and some gentle sliding while being held.

I have but one, and he's a grown man now, but we started him for real on bonafide equipment at age 3 (he'd just turned 3). However, he did not "find" his edges until the following season, after having turned 4. Wow, what a breakthrough season for the kid :smile:

Anyone who has the capability to get their child into a season-long program, go for it.

When mine was 6, we did a week at Steamboat. He rocked it. Discovered tree skiing and "air." (He took me through some trees that were a tad tight for my at-the-time requisite 190s!)

I should copy this to the "my proudest skiing moment" thread. Watching that kid take off was, decades in retrospect, just amazing....I wish I could go back in time for just one day of that...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
p.s. For those of you taking 3 year olds out for their first season, a small piece of advice: don't count on them to remember their bathroom habits :laugh: We have a "too late" story that we still roar over - and if my adult son ever sees this forum or this post, he is going to know exactly who posted it :laugh:

haylmom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have taken my daughter out twice so far this year and she's 3 and a half. The first time was just over a half hour and the second was about 25 minutes. Both times were with an instructor and she said that she was doing as well as a 5 year old would! I am so proud of her! :smile: She is using an edgy-wedgy and I'm DYING to take her down the one green run to try out the chair lift because I know she'd LOVE it! I am nervous about doing that because the instructors keep saying, "well, maybe next year she'll be ready to ski along with you!" The first time she went out, she kept pointing to the pony lift because she wanted to use it...it gave her all the more reason to ski down the bunny hill! Maybe tomorrow I'll dare to try her down the green run and let you all know how it went!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hmmmm....pointing with great interest at the lift at 3-1/2 and has already "found" her edges??? Methinks this is the start of something Big :smile: ! Welcome to our forum, and please keep us updated! Your story brings back many wonderful memories for me. Enjoy every little milestone -- there are SO many! (My favorite: the "I did it!")

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna