• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What age should your child start skiing?

Jilly

Staff member
skimomma24, has your 12 year old a friend(s) to ski with. That's makes all the difference. As for snowboard, get the rental, lesson package and let him try it. Does it matter if he's on one plank or two? He'll still be out sliding with you. Then again he just might take to the racing!! At least you won't have to travel far. NCD has most of its races close. Try SOD (southern Ontario) we have to travel 3 -4 hours to race.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
RE:
But my son desperately wants to snowboard. I told him next year, but *maybe* I'll let him him rent one this year to try it on. :smile:

Definitely go for the lesson when/if he rents a board. An instructor can get him started with what seems, at least to me, to be a whole different set of skills. The sport has a different learning curve compared to skiing. (as I found out, the hard way, ha) (ow)

RuthB

Angel Diva
skimomma24, has your 12 year old a friend(s) to ski with. That's makes all the difference. As for snowboard, get the rental, lesson package and let him try it. Does it matter if he's on one plank or two? He'll still be out sliding with you. Then again he just might take to the racing!! At least you won't have to travel far. NCD has most of its races close. Try SOD (southern Ontario) we have to travel 3 -4 hours to race.

I'd second this - when I was that age it was all about skiing with friends - do his friends ski or board? And if he wants to board then I'd definitely go with that, but with lessons - sometimes there are pluses with being the eldest and maybe this is one of those times when he gets to do something different to younger siblings. Also 12 is hard sometimes, was he in a lesson with other kids the same age? or was he much older or younger than the others in the class - when you are 12 often you don't want to stand out you want to do what your friends and peers are doing. Good luck

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hmmm, let's see: a 12 year old taking up (or considering) snowboarding as a novelty/diversion......key theme music from "The Way We Were".......caveat: might lead said 12 year old to interesting choice of profession :laugh: j/k....

It's a highly distracted age----anything that retains their interest in being on the snow - whether that's a different sliding method or a friend taking up either endeavor -- is ultimately worth it. Many wish to try something that will set them apart from the others in their family. Either way, go with the flow.

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I told him next year, but *maybe* I'll let him him rent one this year to try it on. :smile:

I say let him go for it! Get him a lesson, get him a board for a day, and have at it! No harm, no foul. The good thing here is he will still be on the snow, still out for the day, having a blast!

I tried snowboarding when I was 17... a friend wanted to go <he was a great snowboarder/skateboarder, and 21> and he had two boards, so he let me use one <same size shoe... how perfect!>. I didn't have a lesson, he said he was going to teach me. So, once we were on the hill, he said "here's your lesson, make it down the hill" and he took off in a different direction. :eek: By the end of the day I could make it down the hill fairly well without falling. It was a fun day and a new experience. That's the only time I've ever been on a snowboard.

I'm sure with a lesson he'll be able to do fairly well in no time, and decide if he really likes it or not. The thing you have to do is not get too frustrated, especially if you can ski pretty well. I was skiing double black diamonds at that point, and felt helpless at first on a snowboard, but I didn't let that frustrate me.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back an hour ago from buying my daughter her first set of skis, boots and bindings...and of course a helmet and all the clothing gear. She is fickle about things, and she is finally old enough (10, 5th grade) to decide if she will probably/like stick to things I sign her up for, as skiing, unlike some other sports/extra curricular things, IS a major investment and I didn't think a one time rental and lesson was the way to go, I wanted her to give it a better go than a one time trial, so did purchase for the season.

She will be taking weekly lessons for beginners at our local mountain that runs a nice program, plus she will practice skiing with me at other times. I'm looking forward to having a little ski buddy, as my s/o doesn't ski and my son (8) wants no part of boarding or skiing at this point, but that may change when he has to sit weekly through his sister's lesson time in the lodge. LOL

I started when I was 12 or 13, and was the only skier in a non-skiing family. I remember how committed my dad was taking me weekly to ski at the various local mountains for lessons or to ski with friends from school, so I could enjoy the sport. I am hoping my daughter loves it as much as I do and I have another little "Diva in Training".

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

An old thread from 2007-08 but a fun summer read. Any updates from those who were talking about kids less than 6 before?

I started my daughter at age 4 because that was a minimum age for ski school at Massanutten. She was in a never-ever group of four girls, ages 4-7. She and the two 5 year olds did well enough in the morning to ride the bunny slope lift after lunch. When I picked her up at 2:00, her first comment was something like "I love skiing!". Took her out to Alta for spring break when she was 7. We arrived during a major spring snowstorm. Alta Ski School had her hunting "baby powder" at the edges of green/blue trails after the first day of ski school. Even though we didn't get to ski that much living in NC, she was Level 7 by age 11 at Alta with annual spring break trips. Now at 14 she's been on telemark skis for a couple seasons at North Country School in Lake Placid (ski hill on campus, Whiteface a few times during season). Haven't bought her tele gear yet, but may need to soon.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My niece and nephew started at 18mo! they LOVED it... didn't ski all day but at 5-6yr old my sister and I took them up a T-bar (between our legs) and they were skiing all day. Both grew up to be champion ski racers!! Still skiing today, my nephew's son just was on skis last winter at 18mo!

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
I know it's an old post, not sure if I can ask it here (I know some forum hate ''highjacking'' old posts), please tell me if I have to make a new one.

My son is 4 (just got it tow days ago :smile: I started shopping around for gear for me (and if he had some interests, him) and he's been -VERY- interested in it, watched videos with me and everything. He always loved snow.

Is it a good age to start? he's physically developed taller and heavier than most of his age (at the end of the curve so they say) (he's 43 pounds... and not fat o.0) and very active.
Is there any classes for toddlers?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know it's an old post, not sure if I can ask it here (I know some forum hate ''highjacking'' old posts), please tell me if I have to make a new one.

My son is 4 (just got it tow days ago :smile: I started shopping around for gear for me (and if he had some interests, him) and he's been -VERY- interested in it, watched videos with me and everything. He always loved snow.

Is it a good age to start? he's physically developed taller and heavier than most of his age (at the end of the curve so they say) (he's 43 pounds... and not fat o.0) and very active.
Is there any classes for toddlers?
Based on the fact that some ski schools don't start until age 4, I think it's a very good age. One reason I waited until my daughter was 4 is that I figured it couldn't hurt. Plus we live pretty far from the nearest ski slopes. She was tiny at that age, but that didn't matter at all. My impression is that it's not really so much about physical ability as how ready a kid is to pay attention, and how long they can focus on something new.

I didn't bother to buy gear until my daughter was 7. Rented the first couple years when she only skied <5 days a season. Got a season lease the next two years when we were skiing 10-15 days a season. By then I'd learned enough to know how to shop for used gear. Although I invested in new boots from a nearby boot fitter.

In the U.S., a 4yo is more often called a "pre-schooler" rather than a toddler. I think of toddlers as being age 18 months to about 3.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
LOL probably, Pre-schooler sounds better ;) Good to know ahah

I'll definitely rent for sure for him. It would be good to keep him busy with something in the winter (he's starting soccer too in summer/spring) :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Many ski schools offer a program for young children. They might even give them cute names....our local bump was "Smurfs" and then changed it to "Vikings". They run for a few weeks probably. The instructors for that level usually have some extra training with children. Not sure what Bromont or Sutton have. Some include lunch and off hill play too, depending on full day or 1/2 day.

Is Andre LaLonde still around. They did kids seasonal rentals way back.....

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Yea, they are, I'm actually shopping around now. Been trying to reach la poubelle du ski, but they never pick up...
I need for me, and him ahaha

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine started at three, mostly because at two the bindings for kid skis couldn't be set low enough. They told me she had to weigh 30 pounds. Barely made it at 3.
206411_6227207487_6527_n.jpg

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My DD is about to turn 6. We started her this time when she was about to turn 3 (well we did a little Nordic playing when she was two).

It's amazing how a summer of growing has impacted her skiing! She has been laying down amazing railroad tracks all weekend.

And she dragged me through the rail yard a ton of times. She loves looking for trails into the woods and little kickers (that might be genetic).

It's a ton of work- but it's worth it.

I'm comfortable with her on most of the trails at the mountain.

Last year I told her- you have to be 5 for black trails and she said but dad and ski school already let me do them!

I really hope she keeps the enthusiasm.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kid will be two in March and my husband and I were so excited we got him a pair of backyard nordic strap-on skis for xmas, mostly just for playing with. I don't know if he will like them this season, but we figure we will also use them next season. He is a tiny guy, so we are thinking we won't be able to start him dh until he is just under 4 unless he has some major catchup growth spurts. We're really focusing on him enjoying the snow right now. He loooooves gravity sports (sledding, riding his push car fast down a hill) so we are hoping that eventually translates into a love of skiing!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a pair of season rentals for my dd when she was 2, we mainly pushed her around the front yard, and at the base area at Snowbasin. Then when she was three, did a little more, and last year at age 4 started her in lessons. Ever since the snow started falling, she has been asking about skiing again. I personally think it makes sense to start them when they are younger, if nothing by getting them used to playing in the snow and gliding around even if its for 15-30 minutes at a time.

It does also depend on the kid a bit, I suppose, and sometimes waiting longer may be beneficial. My youngest two just turned 3 so we are going to try to get them to try out the magic carpet are this year. Fingers crossed they like it as much as big sister!

marzNC

Angel Diva
It does also depend on the kid a bit, I suppose, and sometimes waiting longer may be beneficial. My youngest two just turned 3 so we are going to try to get them to try out the magic carpet are this year. Fingers crossed they like it as much as big sister!
For people who live in snow country, can't think of any reason not to start earlier than 4. Especially when an older sibling and parents are already skiers.

For those who live in the flatlands, waiting a few years is more to make the travel easier on the whole family rather than because a kid wouldn't be ready for fun in snow. Harder to justify driving 3+ hours for an hour or two on snow. Also more likely that one parent is either a non-skier or a beginner/intermediate. That was my situation and the fact that my husband is a non-skier is the main reason I waited until age 4 when my daughter could do full-day ski school. Note that even though I skied very little as a working adult, I started thinking about getting her on skis early on. I convinced my DH to buy a timeshare week at Massanutten when she was 2, mostly because it seemed like a good place to learn to ski. Lucky for me, Mnut has a great ski school and she loved skiing from Day 1.

That said, going to the mountains with friends for a weekend that includes a little snow tubing or stomping around in the snow near the base can be a great way to get a little one started. That's what a friend of mine did when her daughter was two. Mom grew up with skiing before the family moved south. The two of them joined me and my daughter at Mnut for a weekend a few years ago. Kid loved snow tubing. They are all set for a couple 4-day holiday weekends at Mnut this winter. We went ice skating last week. Kid is 6 now and had never skated. Picked up ice skating pretty quickly. Looking forward to her first day of ski school in a few weeks.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
i guess you have to know your kids. if they want to ski, that is a good sign
my girls were ice hockey players. i waited until i thought their leg strength was strong enough to 'hockey stop'. at 6, they skied for the first time, and within 1-2 outings were using poles, skiing fully parallel, and had tremendous edge control.
They love the sport - and it is a great family experience. i have friends who feel they have wasted money when the kids were 4 and they 'got it' at 5, but it is about the skill level of the child.

PS - our kids were skating at 3, so we were able to assess their skill level easily

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly